Chopper X

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been working on changing color of sissy bar pad I think I want to use last 2 days with fabric/ vinyl paint. Installed on bike this morning. Never gonna find green to match seat so figured I see what flat back looked like, it would tie in with bars, tank and guard ( when I paint it). I had a pad on my chopper as a kid and like the look. My chopper was one of the cut off set of forks, shove em on your bikes forks and weld em up. My dad was into fixing bikes and showed me pic when they first started in Cali, I was 1st kid in area with chopper. Rode in a parade people didn’t know what to think, next year there were several. I remember I rattle canned it green, ( fav color) and spelled out “chopper” on top tube with vinyl decals. I hand painted an iron coss ( we called em Maltese cross) on chain guard and Then clear coated with big Gold flakes. The big flakes were the thing in 60’s. Funny how we always come back to what we love doing.

Attachments

• 8AEE93E0-66E6-4B0A-B5E4-B3B59E8F51C4.jpeg
    8AEE93E0-66E6-4B0A-B5E4-B3B59E8F51C4.jpeg
    195.6 KB · Views: 50
  • CAEA2C3D-DF78-4743-9A11-5C0FBFDAC342.png
    CAEA2C3D-DF78-4743-9A11-5C0FBFDAC342.png
    3 MB · Views: 38
  • 4DB69360-C6C4-48AD-BF6B-F1BE6D419621.jpeg
    4DB69360-C6C4-48AD-BF6B-F1BE6D419621.jpeg
    267.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 9DE6E005-FFF4-412A-8DBA-8EA8629693CF.jpeg
    9DE6E005-FFF4-412A-8DBA-8EA8629693CF.jpeg
    694.7 KB · Views: 42
Not sure if it will stay this way. Ordered some parts today, gonna be few weeks till I get them all. The iron Cross is gonna show up on this build a few times. There already is a few which nobody probably has seen. The anodized grip rings were customized and say “rat patrol” with iron crosses on each side. They came off a mtn bike I have and when I originally had made were nothing to do with ratrodbikes but a TV showed I loved as a kid.The bike I customized with digital camo decals and reminded me of show. Any of you remember it? Got the old lunchbox. 2F60D9FA-1341-4AF9-BAB5-36A902B581DA.pngF3AF8F30-B4E1-4181-AC73-00E35B909B4A.pngC434753D-4A84-4E68-8E86-CDE2381E2F55.jpeg76AF0406-C4BF-4845-A06C-25784DFA8AB6.jpeg

I like your suggestion about green flake on tank. I’ve started looking for examples of green metal flake paint online. I usually hate mat finish on bikes anyway. But thought with all the chrome it might work. Really like to use this seat, but was beginning to lean towards solid color seat, like black, but don’t have vintage one. Hate the new banana seats and how far forward sissy bar attaches. I’ve got alot of time. Thanks for input, appreciate it!

Gotta say a huge thanks guys , to all the responses on the boatload of bikes I posted in gallery today. Since don’t know where else to ask, I’ll do it here. What is proper way for me to acknowledge your likes and responses? Not even on social media, so don’t know. First few days here and Appreciate ALL your input and don’t want to come across like I don’t.

Love this color, ordering some. Hope I don’t have problem that some users complained nozzle clogs easy. I’ve down a lot of rattle canning, it’s one thing I feel pretty competent at so I’m going for it. Think it matches seat well. As you can see seat has a few flaws but not bad for 60’s/70’s nanner ( guess my photo doesn’t show them very well) lol
EC87B825-33CA-4FCB-A70B-4F0F9942C7AB.jpeg

I know I’ll get this build done easily so I’m contemplating entering second build. My first plan, fork was rubbing frame when turned which led me to second frame with fork I want to use and I am really liking it.. So I may be introducing you to another build here soon. I’m weird I always have to have multiple builds going at one time.

Capt Awesome that spray bomb kit in green looks awesome. Not sure want to attempt that involved of painting this time of year since don’t have heated garage. Definitely like to try that sometime though, is that paint you used on your Colombia newsboy build ( hope I got that right?) this last build off?

Capt Awesome that spray bomb kit in green looks awesome. Not sure want to attempt that involved of painting this time of year since don’t have heated garage. Definitely like to try that sometime though, is that paint you used on your Colombia newsboy build ( hope I got that right?) this last build off?
Put your paint can in a container of very hot water, shake it, let it sit, you'll feel the can get cold again when you shake it. Just keep it soaking and shaking until it's all warm.
Will lay down much better and help with clogging.

I ordered this and came in mail. Saw this at Bicycle Heaven website about a year ago and filed in my memory. Started thinking about doing something different for badge on this build and the image of this popped up. Pretty sad I can remember stuff like this and forget what my wife told me 5 min ago. Too many images of bikes on my mind I guess?…Not sure to say …LOL or yikes?
ABCE1F95-9821-4B3A-A32F-5E5E39E528BC.jpeg
… This should better than original blue decal badge. Don’t know if you can see, but embossed with flames.

Back