Chrome won't get you home

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
chromewontgetyouhome.jpg

Picked this up today for $150, it's an 8-ball lowrider limo
As the title suggest.. chrome won't get you home,but this once was all chrome

P2021719.jpg

P2021718.jpg

P2021717.jpg

P2021716.jpg

P2021715.jpg

So,I'm in a bit of a dilemma (don't know if that's the correct spelling) what to do with it?
Leave it as a rusty (only on the surface) rat or polish the whole thing?
Idea's would be appreciated..
Grtz Gio

I vote to leave it as is. The rust adds a lot, IMO... gives it an old school look- not that it wasn't classic already, but the patina helps it really fit the bill :mrgreen:

Unchained said:
I vote to leave it as is. The rust adds a lot, IMO... gives it an old school look- not that it wasn't classic already, but the patina helps it really fit the bill :mrgreen:
thnx unchained,maybe add some apehanger..

Me I like chrome but I see the appeal to leaving it. It would look better in a little while if left outside for more rust. Either way cool looking bike, whatever you do won't change that.

I'd hit the spoke nipples with Blaster or Liquid Wrench, and scrub the chrome with a Brillo pad. It'll get rid of flakes and chunks, but still retain a bit of golden oxide hue and "not new"ness around the edges. :|

im not a fan of the wheels either, but if they clean up easily, theres lots of people that would want 'em.

deorman said:
I'd hit the spoke nipples with Blaster or Liquid Wrench, and scrub the chrome with a Brillo pad. It'll get rid of flakes and chunks, but still retain a bit of golden oxide hue and "not new"ness around the edges. :|

My thoughts exactly...
It'll be a cool ride no matter what you do, though. 8)

I don't feel rust should be in the same room as the Dyno/KK 6pack frame.
Too many rusty spokes :(
twisted rust :(
Flames with rust :(
Just not right....for ME. :D I would like to see it buffed out or black'd out. Matte Black everything that looks gold??? Just a thought. Nice score for $150!!

Here's mine....
31517_413456306880_706991880_4771611_4816654_n.jpg

.. put it will get you laid ... haha j/k
but seriously my 2 cents would be to clean it up , its at the fork in the road right now , one way it will clean up and look totally AWESOME. or let it continue to rot , the more it rots the harder it will be to bring it back .. and if you bring it back now to its nice shinny state, maybe later down the road if you really want a rusty bike its easy to achieve by leaving out in the weather

LET IT ROT!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:
adds more 'character',i like those pedals they look kool 8)

Rat Rod that Bike!!!
Sure looks good as a new one, but there are lots like that,
If that beauty would be mine, I would go with the spirit shown
in the T-shirt and make it a Rat!

My 2 Cents is to clean it up.
It is too new of a bike to be able to pull off the Rat Rod Rusty look.

well...
thank you all for your comments.. It's definitely not makin' it easier, what to do with it :D
probably will clean it up cause i have another frame (well cheap knock-off) like it

mybike4.jpg

had this already sandblasted, rusted and then clear-coated

ballroomwrecker said:
well...
thank you all for your comments.. It's definitely not makin' it easier, what to do with it :D
probably will clean it up cause i have another frame (well cheap knock-off) like it

mybike4.jpg

had this already sandblasted, rusted and then clear-coated
phewww :) , i was gonna say id buy those rims off of ya so i can clean them up lol
:)

ballroomwrecker said:

Yeah, that's good, but I would 180 the neck.

Maybe you could do a Jekyll/Hyde themed pair?? the Micargi as Hyde.....Dr. up the limo :lol:

Latest posts

Back