clunk;clunk;clunk;clunk;clunk;clunk

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 coaster brake bikes doing the same thing. when the drive side pedal passes over the top of its stroke; clunk!! all 4 bikes; clunk. :?: help :!:

Pedals. Had some guy at the Bike Coop who thought his Bottom Bracket was messed up. I checked his pedals and the bearings were dry as a bone. New pedals fixed it.

If they're old 3-piece w/cotter cranks, pins or crank shot, or just loose. Beat 'em in w/hammer or junk 'em. if it's 1-piece, pedals as stated, or loose crank bearing.

If it ever comes down to this, tighten up the spokes. I had a bike where I'd always hear a clunk and it was from the spokes flexing & rubbing on each other where the spokes intersect. That's only when weight is forced down on the rear wheel so lift up the rear wheel and spin it to see if this is the case.

not the kick stand, don't even have one on two of them. one piece cranks. I will change the pedals for new ones.
thank you for your time
dwayne

probably not the issue for you, but when i was a wee lad :? i'd drop my bike and slightly bend the one piece crank making them hit the frame (ever-so-slightly)click-click-click-click-click :wink:

The sprocket side inner bearing race might not be screwed tightly against the sprocket. Sometimes the hole in the sprocket is a bit larger than the drive nub on the crank and can move due to variance in pressure on the pedals.

can't be hitting anything. clunk happens when the cranks are totaly vertical.
on all 4 bikes
thank you for your time.
dwayne

deorman said:
The sprocket side inner bearing race might not be screwed tightly against the sprocket. Sometimes the hole in the sprocket is a bit larger than the drive nub on the crank and can move due to variance in pressure on the pedals.

i put my money on this one as well. let us know what it turns out to be :)

4 bikes all doing the same thing?

The clunk from the sprocket being loose and hitting the crank nub would be when applying brakes and then pedaling forward. Or vice versa, I dont think it would lag enough at the top of the turn, and all 4 bikes the same would be pretty high odds.

Maybe the chainguards are making the noise whern the chain contacts them lightly because the sprockets don't track perfectly straight. Again all 4 having the same problem is strange. (If they have chainguards)

I would flip the bike over and watch as you turn the cranks, watching the chain and sprockets for contact, also the crankarms to see anything out of the ordinary, or if any bearings feel loose and need adjustment.

Deorman is right I had one making that same noise and it drove me crazy. Changed bearings and races and nothing. It was the inner race wasnt tight and as the sprocket comes around it hits that part and clunks. Took it apart for the 5th time and really tightened that race and it stopped. On a 3 speed nexus the rear sprocket gets worn and will make the same clunk. You have to replace the back sprocket with one that is tighter on the three little dimples sticking out.

Thats weird on all four bikes.Maybe its your knees!haha,Do you have a spot in your chain where you joined the chain together?It may be too tight or rusted.It wont do it with a master link but when you shorten or add links it can happen.Also if you have a chainguard with designs pressed into it the sprocket could be a little loose and hitting the inside of that.

yea I also changed the bearings and the races, nothing. I'm gonna lock tite that thing and tighten the snot out of it.
thank you for your time
dwayne

is it the crank arm rubbing on the frame or chainguard. does it make the sound when you free wheel or just when your peddling?

only happens when pedaling. when drive side pedal is moving forward past vertical. no it is not rubbing on the frame or chaingaurd.

all four bikes the same noise? weird.

Did you check for loose screws between the handle bars and the saddle? :shock: :lol: I'm kidding of course. We used to make that joke al the time when I worked at a auto garage.

Let us know what it is. I think it's the bottom brackets. Do you ride through a lot of water? I'm trying to figure out how you got all four to make the same noise.

If all four bikes are doing it I would guess it is your knees. But I am an old man so I get that a lot.

Back