Coaster Brake Challenge #3

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
coasterbrake3flyer.jpg

Purpose:

To have fun, to race, to sweat, breathe hard, to ride hard, to challenge ones self. This is the anti-race race. Don't kid yourself it's hard, you may crash or puke (or both) but we are down for the fun and camaraderie more than the podium. Well, there is no podium but I think you get the point.

We will be hosting 4 Sunday races in the month of January. Each race will have a meet point at 7am and race at 8am. Most races will be short 1 to 2 hour affairs. Meet points and descriptions of each race will be posted so you know what to expect. If you want you can go check out the courses ahead of time, not that you need to but if your really need to know you can.

This race series is open to all comers. Men, women, kids, we don't discriminate. Come with a smile and leave with a smile (and perhaps an impressive scar.)

Race dates: January 3rd, 10th, 17th, &24th.

A note on races:

Spectators:

Some of these races are fun to watch and can be easily accessible for speciation. On a scale of 1-10, 10 being best the ability to spectate will be rated.

Meat Pylons:

We're not the only ones out there people, so you will need to yield to horses and peds as best you can. The higher the number, the more Meat Pylons you'll have to deal with. Ride safe and be respectful of others. On cold days, expect the number to be lower. It should be cold. Bring water, you'll need it.

Rules for bikes:

Gearing:

Single speed only. No internal geared hubs (sturmey-archer, bendix two speed kick backs etc.) no derailleur of any kind (A chain tensioner is fine but not recommended). No external gearing. No gears. No fixed gear. Each race will be different from the last and you may want a different gear ratio for each race and you can have any gear ratio you wish. We have found that 30-36 in the front and 18-22 in the back is the range best suited for this event, see what works best for you.

Drive system:

The rear hub must be a coaster brake. Single speed coaster brake only. No two-speed kick backs, etc (I know what they look like) Some coaster brakes are better than others, do your homework and get a good one. See below for more info. Cranks of any kind may be used as well as pedals.

Braking system:

Coaster brake only on the rear wheel only. No hand brakes of any kind. No secondary braking system of any kind. No drum brakes, no cables, rods, levers, etc of any kind. You pedal forward to go forward and back to stop. Nothing else.

Frame:

Preference for old double bar cruisers but there are no frame restrictions. We have found that cruiser frames and lower end frames with a horizontal dropouts work the best. Frames with a rigid dropout are difficult to get proper chain tension. We recommend the following types of bikes:

Single speed mountain bikes

Pros: take new bike goodies well

Cons: Can be costly

Cruisers

Pros: Cheap and look cool too! Already have to correct spacing for a coaster brake.

Cons: Don't take mountain bikes goodies like threadless forks etc. Most have 1 piece cranks. Heavy.

Any 26" bike that has a horizontal drop out.

Pros: Older Mountain bikes are cheap and plentiful and easily adapt to our purpose.

Cons: None really, an ideal choice for this event.

Forks:

Any.

Wheels/tires:

You can have any kind of hoop/tire combo. I suggest a light wheelset that you've laced a coaster brake into. Something rugged is good, I've done each race with cheap alloy cruiser rims, they have held up fine thus far.

Handlebars etc.

Everything else is left up to the individual rider.

Sounds like a great event. I would've thought this thread would have a lot more interest.

A week away, we will play!

Here's my rig for the race:

4182498348_f4aa988f7e.jpg

FunkyStickman said:
Seeing a lot of rigid forks, how do those fare on your trail?
Haven't broken any yet. Having NEVER ridden a modern suspension fork (raced BMX and MTB before the advent of Manitou/RockShox) , I couldn't tell you how much better/worse it is. I can tell you that on the smoother sections of the trail, rigid forks (in theory) help to transfer more pedaling energy to the ground. In rougher terrain, a suspension fork does supposedly lessen rider fatigue. Personally, I like the retro, bare-bones feel of a rigid bike with a coaster. High tech with a coaster seems somehow wrong for me.

Your bike looks sweet dave, nice stem!

While suspension will make for a smoother ride, a full rigid will be faster on climbs etc. I had suspension last time and did good, but this time the hard knocks will be done. I've been using the bike all over and it's not so bad.

I put together a rig too.
I'm ok with mixing old and new parts if it's done tastfully and with purpose. My ride is not really a mix though. The frame is actually more modern than the suspension fork. Craigslist is wonderful thing for providing just the right cruiser when I needed it. Throw on other parts from my stockpile and a coaster brake challenge bike is born!
I just hope my lungs & legs can put it to use.
1262412354.jpg

Looks Good! You'll have to ditch the front brake though :) (see the rules)

Of course! But since I had the disc setup I put it on so that as I relearn how to ride a coaster brake I'll have a little extra safety. I rode it twice now and only had to grab the front brake once, think I'm adapting.

You weren't kidding about that sinkhole!
1262461450.jpg

I'm on the wrong coast to take part in the challenge but this looks too much fun not to build one.

Ratpick said:
Of course! But since I had the disc setup I put it on so that as I relearn how to ride a coaster brake I'll have a little extra safety. I rode it twice now and only had to grab the front brake once, think I'm adapting.

1262461450.jpg

Was the cone gone? Ouch!

Ratpick said:

1262461450.jpg

Wow! Stuff to look forward to tomorrow morning. See you guys there!

Back