Cobrafreak's board track racer project, has ended

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Cobrafreak's board track racer project, never ends!

8)
Frankenstien Bikes said:
Thanks again Cobrafreak. Also did you have to take the CHP motorcycle course or did u just go to the DMV and take an eye exam and basic traffic law and sign test for a M2 license, and fill out the DL 44 form?

I already had an M1 license.

harry76 said:
Thanks Cobra, your help is much appreciated. Thank you.

You mentioned buying a Go cart base plate? How would this help?

The base plate is made of super hard steel. Really good stuff, so it's a great foundation to build upon. If you use mild steel it will be the weak link. Lot's of torque coming from the engine. The holes are elongated and will give you the needed wiggle room to position the engine properly for perfect chain alignment. Here is a link:
http://www.mfgsupply.com/m/c/AZ8190.html

stocksucks said:
Hey man.
Only now did I see your videos.
Great work.
when will we get to see the 4 stroke actually running?
I've posted a vid of mine. take a look.

I'm on vacation from work next week so I'll try to do a full riding video with the full antique clothes and everything.

I adjusted the spring yesterday on the Comet transmission to give me a higher rpm stall so I would stay in the power band going up steep hills. Well I did some more experimenting today and swapped out my 44 tooth chain wheel for my 50 tooth chain wheel. Wow. It is perfect now. It doesn't rev too high because the transmission doesn't allow it at the speeds I ride at mostly. Quicker off the line and quicker roll on speed. I'm keeping the 50 tooth on. 3500 rpm at 45mph, 6500rpm at 83 mph

How fast have you had it?

Figured what your 4-stroker milage is yet?

Eagerly awaiting your video Cobra!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Frank Lee said:
How fast have you had it?

Figured what your 4-stroker milage is yet?

45mph so far. It gets there quickly. I'm around 100 to 110 mpg. And I pulled right into a gas station to pump fuel which was the best part.

My rear brake died for the second time. I am fed up with this junky unit. I'm converting over to rear mechanical disk brakes. I can hide it in the rear, and I'll keep my front drum. Already ordered the conversion kit.

cobrafreak said:
My rear brake died for the second time. I am fed up with this junky unit. I'm converting over to rear mechanical disk brakes. I can hide it in the rear, and I'll keep my front drum. Already ordered the conversion kit.

Looks like i shouldnt use my GX160 with the wheels on my Indian (same front and rear hub as yours). After thinking about it i may try and use moped brakes with the BX160 build.

I have a mechanical rear dics on my Villiers Beach Cruiser build that i also intend to hide. I was thinking of covering it with a race number, or even better would be to make a cover for the disc to try and make it look like a drum brake like this....

http://www.vintage-motorcycle.com/image ... height=106

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2765/414 ... 8c2347.jpg

Im sure it would involce a little work but would look good if done right. Id love to see someone try it and id love to see your take on it....

harry76 said:
cobrafreak said:

Looks like i shouldnt use my GX160 with the wheels on my Indian (same front and rear hub as yours). After thinking about it i may try and use moped brakes with the BX160 build.

I have a mechanical rear dics on my Villiers Beach Cruiser build that i also intend to hide. I was thinking of covering it with a race number, or even better would be to make a cover for the disc to try and make it look like a drum brake like this....

http://www.vintage-motorcycle.com/image ... height=106

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2765/414 ... 8c2347.jpg

Im sure it would involce a little work but would look good if done right. Id love to see someone try it and id love to see your take on it....

If you have the same rear hub as me and you want a killer rear brake check this out!
http://www.bicycledesigner.com/bike-par ... e-kit.html
It's only $59 and it will thread onto the left side of your existing hub. All you need to do is make a solid mount and you will be good to go. The local bicycle shop near me can't even touch this price. He wanted $115.00 for basically the same thing.

That would save you lacing up new wheels, but i wonder what quality the caliper is? Or rotor? Im sure its worth checking out..... but in saying that, I know from years of riding all disciplines of mountainbiking (I have a hardtail, cross country, downhiller) that a good disc brake is far superior to one found on those cheap chinese KMart style bikes. And i never reached the speeds you will be, nor was i carrying the sort of weight a MB would..... Also a hydraulic disc brake has a lot better, more controlled feeling and is virtually maintainence free. And with mechanicals you always need to adjust them. And if you keep an eye out on EBay you can find a set extremely cheap, but then you need a singlespeed disc brake hub or singlespeed adaptor and then relace your wheels.

I think i may just use my wheels with the current brake setup for a Briggs build and build specific wheels for the Honda motor. As i have an extra disc brake hub and caliper from a mountain bike or alternatively try and find some decent moped drum brake hubs to build a set of wheels.... decisions, decisions lol

I looked up reviews of WinZip CE mechanical brakes and they have decent reviews. I think it will be night and day from the band brake.

Id be interested to see how it goes.

I was just thinking that with some of my earlier bikes that had cheaper disc brakes they were a pain, and sometimes would squeak when not maintained. But they may have had more to do with me doing off road riding, and you probably wouldnt encounter those problems. It would be a pain to have a bike as beautiful as yours with annoying rear brake squeak. But if they have good reviews they must be ok, and a bargain at that price.

And with a better rear brake maybe you might see higher speeds??? :D :D :D

harry76 said:
Id be interested to see how it goes.

I was just thinking that with some of my earlier bikes that had cheaper disc brakes they were a pain, and sometimes would squeak when not maintained. But they may have had more to do with me doing off road riding, and you probably wouldnt encounter those problems. It would be a pain to have a bike as beautiful as yours with annoying rear brake squeak. But if they have good reviews they must be ok, and a bargain at that price.

And with a better rear brake maybe you might see higher speeds??? :D :D :D

It could. If I trust two brakes rather than just one it would be encouraging. There are several reasons possible for disk brake squeaking. Could have been a heat warped rotor, dusty rotor, inappropriate brake pad material for intended use. I used to have a downhill bike with hydraulic disk brakes they were noisy until I changed the pad compound. Personally I wont put up with squeaky brakes. They drive me nuts.

I successfully added my mechanical rear disk brake to the Indian. Works really good. Quiet. I trust my stopping power now.
As you can see I am running a separate engine chain and pedal chain plus I have threads for the brake disk, formerly a band brake. I think "band brake" is Asian for "junk", Lol.
IMG00511-20110527-1925.jpg

IMG00514-20110527-2101.jpg

Nice job Cobra. That is a nice little setup.

I may have to do the same with my hub. By the sounds of it the band brake isnt good for much. But not a terrible investment as the hub can be converted to this setup.

Cant wait to see what you come up with to cover it up. Ive been thinking about how to do it on my disc brake MB. It would be good to make a faux drum brake, failing that im sure a race number covering the disc would still look good.

Latest posts

Back