Cobrafreak's board track racer project, has ended

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Cobrafreak's board track racer project now COMPLETED!!!

WOW, you have a Hyundai Accent!!! :shock: :lol: :lol:

Great build, great board track!!!
This is one of my favourite, congrats!!!

My Wife's Accent. I drive the Mini Cooper S :)

Well, I fabricated a headlight and a taillight for the front hub dynamo. They work great! The bulbs are from old parking lights that my Cobra used to have. They are 12V bulbs that are getting 6V of current, so they should last a very long time. I wanted headlights and taillights that have a vintage look to not look out of place on the bike and I think I succeeded. The headlamp I fabricated out of a piece of PVC from an old hamburger press, Lol! The taillight is fabricated from an old U.S. ARMY flashlight. It works.

headlight.jpg

taillight.jpg

How in the heck did you bend the tank breather without kinking the tubing? I'm strugglin'

EDIT- I got it! I filled it with salt.

Cobra, you are a very talented guy. The bike looks phenomenal.

Beau said:
How in the h*** did you bend the tank breather without kinking the tubing? I'm strugglin'

EDIT- I got it! I filled it with salt.

I wrapped the breather copper tube around a 1" pipe to keep it from collapsing. For the larger fuel line I wrapped it around a 2" pipe. Filling with salt works too.

Lonewolf said:
Cobra, you are a very talented guy. The bike looks phenomenal.

Thank you very much! I really appreciate the positive feedback. I just do it for the love and the fun. I took my bikes to the Turkey Day Ride in Sacramento CA and had a lot of fun. It drew crowds of people all day. Channel 13 even interviewed me so I'm TIVO'ing the news tonight because I might be on. I also got interviewed for a Youtube show on classic bikes and motorcycles. So it's cool. That is exciting for me. A couple of guys said they are now going to make one now because they like the Indian. So this is great because I made mine from other bikes I liked, so it's a self perpetuating process. People wanted me to make them one but I said I would love to give guidance and help, but I don't think I have it in me to make bikes for others. Far too time consuming.

A thought that I wanted to share. When I was riding the Indian at the Sacramento Turkey Day Ride for charity, I was basically riding this bike with my Wife and Son while they were pedaling their rides, so an average speed of about 3 or 4 mph. I have the speed gear on the back, which is geared for 40-45 mph. The Indian ran just fine putting away at such slow speeds. I believe that I added a LOT of torque when I put a about 4 inches of space via rubber automotive heater hose between the existing intake manifold and the carburetor. I don't think the bike would have been as smooth had I not. The extra length of intake travel gets the air fuel mixture a more complete mix and allows additional air speed velocity since the air is flowing twice as long in the intake runner before it hits the combustion chamber. I have a 5.0 Ford Mustang Engine and Ford puts really long intakes on these relatively small 302 ci V8 engines which put out quite a bit of torque, which would not be that way if it were not for the intake runner length. This is something all motorbike engines can benefit from, 2 strokes and 4 strokes. FYI. Tunnel Ram works.

Man I wish I could have came out to see the bike cobra, how fast have you gotten that bad boy?

What you have done is not technically a tunnel ram. You have an extended open plenum, or you could call it a long runner, but you need both. Either way, the main benefit is an increased volume in vacuum source, reducing throttle induced vacuum loss. :shock: :mrgreen: :wink:

deorman said:
What you have done is not technically a tunnel ram. You have an extended open plenum, or you could call it a long runner, but you need both. Either way, the main benefit is an increased volume in vacuum source, reducing throttle induced vacuum loss. :shock: :mrgreen: :wink:
It works! :lol:

LarzBahrs said:
Man I wish I could have came out to see the bike cobra, how fast have you gotten that bad boy?
40 mph just to see if it would do it. I'm fine putting around 20 to 30. If I was going to make a bike for speed I would have used a bigger engine and disk brakes. I was shooting for an engine that resembled a 1911 Indian. The heads on four strokes are too large to model the original Indian. It was a really NICE bike event. Be sure to make it next year if it happens!

Hey you might get a kick out of this cobra.. Flip the head! http://motorbicycling.com/f51/cold-air-ram-air-intake-22084.html

But if you are running the stock 44 sprocket its NOT a speed setup.. With that you will have no problem growling along at low speed, thats where it pulls. On my boardtracker i went down to a 36 for speed, it hauled ... on WOT but lost to much on the low end so now i'm running a 40 tooth wich is somewher inbetween for the 66cc engine..

But its really cool that your build has gotten some attention! it should, its beautiful!! On one of my first rides i got flagged down by a lady with a cam who had a hubbie who was into old mopeds, she took my pic and some of the bike and after that i told her it was built 2010 LOL

K-dregg said:
Hey you might get a kick out of this cobra.. Flip the head! http://motorbicycling.com/f51/cold-air-ram-air-intake-22084.html

But if you are running the stock 44 sprocket its NOT a speed setup.. With that you will have no problem growling along at low speed, thats where it pulls. On my boardtracker i went down to a 36 for speed, it hauled butt on WOT but lost to much on the low end so now i'm running a 40 tooth wich is somewher inbetween for the 66cc engine..

But its really cool that your build has gotten some attention! it should, its beautiful!! On one of my first rides i got flagged down by a lady with a cam who had a hubbie who was into old mopeds, she took my pic and some of the bike and after that i told her it was built 2010 LOL

My engine kit came with a 44 tooth and a 50 tooth rear sprocket. They say in the manuel that the 44 is for speed and the 50 is for power. This is the only reason that I said the 44 is for speed. I'm sure the smaller 36 is monster on the straits. I'm really trying to keep this bike street legal in CA and going over 30mph is a real no-no. To my dismay, I recently found out that I need to get a moped license plate and wear a helmet at all times. I looked at the form on line and they want the engine number, cc's, Hp, and serial number. I need to make a serial number plate somewhere. CA says in order for me to keep this a street legal moped I need to have ability to pedal without engine, pedal start, under 50cc's, less than 2Hp, and no more than 30mph. I have a problem as the motor says stamped on it "2.25 Hp", and it will go over 30. I can control my speed with the throttle, so that is no big deal. It's the 2.25Hp that is worrying me. If they are picky about it and say it's over 2Hp then I need to register it as a motorcycle. This will suck, but I won't be limited to the 30 mph rule anymore, Lol. Anyone from CA out there have any insights on this?

you could always be an outlaw :mrgreen:

WOW :shock: Great build :wink:

I'm eye-ballin' an actual carbide gas 1913 vintage motorcycle headlamp for the Indian. If I get it I will convert it over to electricity and post pictures.

now thatd be awsome 8)

Latest posts

Back