Columbia 🐪 CamelBack - ‘21 2n1

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW, that fork design is breathtaking, seems to be a bit of a trend this year ... dude's making their own suspension, modifying previously tried and trusted methods and gear! seen quite a few in this build off as well as my chair spring trick..... A true bike building forum!

IMG_4055.jpeg

21+ To Enjoy, 1921 Columbia Camelback, 2 in 1 build design, finished Navy Active Duty at 21, married at 21. The threadless stem cap has a couple of magnets to hold a bottle cap, this Yuengling cap might fit the pattern of 21.
Beer in KS available at 18 and 21 in CA in 1965.

Last edited:
I put the tank back on and checked out light placement. I put the 12v battery pack back in tank…lots of space in there. Need to do a little paint touch up. Should get the rear wheel back this coming week.
IMG_4089.jpeg
IMG_4091.jpeg
IMG_4092.jpeg
IMG_4096.jpeg
IMG_4097.jpeg
IMG_4099.jpeg
IMG_4101.jpeg
IMG_4103.jpeg
IMG_4104.jpeg

I suppose after seeing the light mounted I’ll do some cleanup on it..,no paint though. It had to mount to the side of the bar clamp as the threadless stem is too wide to center the light clamp. It has a lot of adjustment though.
IMG_4087.jpeg

IMG_4086.jpeg

Last edited:
That mount is awesome
Think it was originally for an early motorcycle, picked at an auto swap meet years ago if you were referring to the light. It has a lot of adjustability, I added an LED bulb and a switch at the back previously.

Last edited:
Lovely light and mount. What lightsource are you using?
SuperBrightLED.com, thanks!
May have been a #1157 type.
1688473029953.jpeg

Last edited:
WOW! I’ve been so caught up in trying to figure out my build, I have not done a good job keeping up with others!

this thing has come a LONG way since I last checked! Everything looks amazing on this! The colors, the light, the tank, the seat… the forks, which I originally was not a huge fan of, look AWESOME! Build is great!

WOW! I’ve been so caught up in trying to figure out my build, I have not done a good job keeping up with others!

this thing has come a LONG way since I last checked! Everything looks amazing on this! The colors, the light, the tank, the seat… the forks, which I originally was not a huge fan of, look AWESOME! Build is great!
Thank for looking and liking!
It’s getting there, hopefully get my rear wheel back this week. Then I have the old rear rack to add, oh and the headbadge, maybe some graphics. Thinking it will stay fenderless.

Some light and bracket details…think I’ll commit a sin and clean the light up some.
IMG_4105.jpeg
IMG_4106.jpeg
IMG_4107.jpeg
IMG_4108.jpeg
IMG_4109.jpeg

Last edited:
Well here’s why you leave patina alone…took lens off to polish reflector.
IMG_4114.jpeg

Lens slipped out of my hands bounced off table to concrete…dam.

Last edited:
Well here’s why you leave patina alone…took lens off to polish reflector. View attachment 239826
Lens slipped out of my hands bounced off table to concrete….....
Maybe a glass shop or old fashioned hardware store can cut a piece of tempered glass or heavy duty plexiglass in a circle?

Maybe a glass shop or old fashioned hardware store can cut a piece of tempered glass or heavy duty plexiglass in a circle?
Thanks.
Yes, I’ve had that done before, but it won’t have the convex curvature. Need 6-1/8” or 6-3/16” diameter lens. Plexiglass I could cut myself.
Anyway the light is back on the bike, sans lens.

And then there’s this guy…on a water bottle.
IMG_4113.jpeg

Last edited:
Went to pick up my new lens from the major glass shop in town. They brought it out measured it. It was the wrong size. The clerk took it back to shop and returned with one of the size I ordered.
IMG_4126.jpeg
IMG_4127.jpeg
IMG_4130.jpeg
IMG_4131.jpeg

The skiptooth chain has been through a degreaser soak, brass brushed and scraped to remove years of gunk. It has one sticky link. Everything else moves freely. So I put it back in the soak bags with W-40 for a day or two. The chain was working OK in the previous life before this re-build. May end up with one stubborn stuck link. I do have some extra chain segments, I guess I could remove it and add apiece with a couple of additional master links.
IMG_4151.jpeg
IMG_4150.jpeg

Rack is ready to go. It got a couple of coats of the Hammered Black Satin and reflectors remounted. Need the rear wheel back and tank graphic decision. When I get the rear wheel back I’ll fit the alternate stock fork with the threadless stem setup.
IMG_4152.jpeg
IMG_4153.jpeg

Headbadge on.
IMG_4155.jpeg

Dusting off and airing up a few garage bikes. I had the bamboo bike out for awhile.
IMG_4156.jpeg

In limbo at this point. Spokes for the the rear wheel are out for delivery today. Could take look at the chain again…but got my eBike out instead, it’s built up from random parts. Started with 1999 GT HD frame and fork and various other collected parts.

IMG_4164.jpeg

Columbia Camelback 2-n-1 compared to State Klunker.
IMG_4165.jpeg

Back