DEAD SPACE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_20220529_232045.jpg

There's nothing trick here but I found a pretty nice heavy duty chrome seatpost, there's gotta be an easy 8" in the frame and it still seats a man size on a boys frame. 30" from crank center to top of my seat fits me in any position. Recumbent like Harlequin or vertical like this. Won't get the cool votes from guys that don't ride their bikes but I've yet to bend to convention. Why build a bike you can't ride has always been my motto. I may yet revert to the bent post but this one fits me...

GC.

I say take em out and ride them...
IMG_20220530_104631.jpg

See, Wasteland has that bent seat post style goin' on and a shy 30'' from crank center to saddle top. (frame is a '41 Westfield) the Brooks saddle with the weathered tool bag take up some room so it doesn't look so awkward and the stretched handlebars reach back to my comfy riding position. It also has another of my favorite hubs, a two speed kickback.

Carl.

Last edited:
I learned that the hard way last year. It was like I gave myself a white elephant. Can't use the thing, can't give it away.
You can build a sweet wall hanger tho...
IMG_20220531_145330.jpg
IMG_20220531_145322.jpg

GC.

Last edited:
IMG_20220601_145137.jpg

Just a little bit everyday and you can get it done. Today I foraged in my boneyard and pulled this nice Dia-Comp stem off of a Nishiki. I have a couple of them rice burners and one of these days I'll get around to building one. But not today! Haha, today it's on DEAD SPACE.

GC

I say take em out and ride them...
View attachment 195200
See, Wasteland has that bent seat post style goin' on and a shy 30'' from crank center to saddle top. (frame is a '41 Westfield) the Brooks saddle with the weathered tool bag take up some room so it doesn't look so awkward and the stretched handlebars reach back to my comfy riding position. It also has another of my favorite hubs, a two speed kickback.

Carl.
I :heart: this photo! Great bike build, and the perfect car back drop for this photo op. RaT oN~!

The mock up looks like it's a stretched frame even though it isn't, the fork on these really is a great piece. I have a flightliner but no fork :-( or tank.

Looking forward to this build, can't wait to see the paint.

Tried squeezing the 2.2" Hank into a modified ballooner fender and squeezing that into the position the original middleweight fender was in... Ha! No way, and since I'm using the Hank for sure I suppose I'm running fenderless.
IMG_20220605_183704.jpg

It's the rear fender brace plus the increase from a 1.75 to a 2.2 that stopping it...

GC.

Cut and rewelded seat post.
Took the og fender apart at the splice someone before me did and I could use it as such... Oh and I have the og chain guard, too bad that back brace won't reach. So the ballooner fender rubbed bad at the seat stays and pinched at the brace (it's not in the correct place now it won't reach the screw holes to attach it) it also seems to detract from the nice swoopy dropouts so it's looking more and more less likely to make the cut.
IMG_20220605_191416__01.jpg

It's a placeholder wheel but the correct tire. The right kinda fat for a middleweight I think.

GC.

Poser...
IMG_20220605_193005.jpg

Edit: after this pic I bounced on the seat a few times and... It bent. So back to the drawing board and a good day wasted on a fender that didn't fit and a seatpost that didn't hold up. At least I still have the straight chrome post.

GC

Last edited:
The hank is perfect for that frame! Love that springy saddle too.
Have you thought about attaching the cool fender brace to the pointy ends of the dropouts?

Hmm. I do like how the brace continues the line of the chain guard but it does interrupt the line of the seat stay to the tip of the dropouts so yeah it's not going on. Continuing the line from the dropout tip thru the brace is a novel idea but the real tight spot is the double seat stays fender pinch. I could nibble out some metal on the fender but I'm not sold on it anyway... Stopped by the boneyard after work and swiped this off of my little BMX Schwinn. Looks good flipped over, although lining up with the chain stays is out...
IMG_20220606_193519.jpg

GC

Hmm. I do like how the brace continues the line of the chain guard but it does interrupt the line of the seat stay to the tip of the dropouts so yeah it's not going on. Continuing the line from the dropout tip thru the brace is a novel idea but the real tight spot is the double seat stays fender pinch. I could nibble out some metal on the fender but I'm not sold on it anyway... Stopped by the boneyard after work and swiped this off of my little BMX Schwinn. Looks good flipped over, although lining up with the chain stays is out...
View attachment 195926

GC

That is one expensive looking bike part!! ( it reminds me of a gas pump nozzle :D :D )

Build is looking great, dialing it in.

I love the fork on this, can you give feedback on the steering feel with the wheel kicked out in front of the fork. Does it feel like a stretched / chopper fork ?

I don't have one of these forks to assemble, but have ideas, hmm ideas, a set of rockers, a support system to spring or shock.

Build is looking great, dialing it in.

I love the fork on this, can you give feedback on the steering feel with the wheel kicked out in front of the fork. Does it feel like a stretched / chopper fork ?

I don't have one of these forks to assemble, but have ideas, hmm ideas, a set of rockers, a support system to spring or shock.
If you've ever ridden a chopper or an extended fork it's not nearly as unwieldy. There is just a bit of the steering by the elbows feel but nothing like a raked fork. You can let go of the bars and ride, it's a pretty natural feeling fork with the rockers flipped. There's even still a bit of the springer style mouse trap flex to it. I'd recommend it to any one looking for the dragster/roadster stance that still wants to ride their bike. I have it on 3 of my bikes, counting this one.

Carl.

That is one expensive looking bike part!! ( it reminds me of a gas pump nozzle :D :D )
It does! (It's actually inserted backwards but fits the stretch idea better that way)
I wonder if I could accent that even more? In these days of pricey fuel - poking fun at the pumps is such a rare thing...
I need a big loose spring to fit the "nozzle" and a flipper trigger thingy...

GC.

It does! (It's actually inserted backwards but fits the stretch idea better that way)
I wonder if I could accent that even more? In these days of pricey fuel - poking fun at the pumps is such a rare thing...
I need a big loose spring to fit the "nozzle" and a flipper trigger thingy...

GC.

Brake lever would easily make the flipper trigger thingy

Latest posts

Back