Deco DX

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Loving this build, bringing all those hodgepodge parts together and making them look like they belong together, good work. Love the kitten sticker on the LaSalle tank too, nice touch.

Another headache with my Springer..
Got the die in the mail and cut the threads but then cut off too much ....needs to be about 1/4" longer.
So now I have to cut the steer tube and weld in some extra length.
I'm not sure if this fork is worth all the trouble...;)

image.jpg
Update time, got the fork sorted out !
Wound up cutting the steer tube to weld in about 3/8" extra length...thanks to a bonehead move on the cut.
It's funny, if I new I Q's going to cut and weld from the beginning I could have done without cutting more threads...:mad:

I've got to figure out a couple things on the fork...the fender braces are not quite right. Need to be a bit longer (or shorter, depending on which end of the rocker I go to)...and the rocker bolts have a ton of slop in them. Looks like maybe its space for the fender braces ?
I'm not familiar with this fork...does anyone have any ideas ?

image.jpg

image.jpg

The fender brace is supposed to attach to the rigid part of the fork, otherwise it will move with the suspension. It's designed for the fender to stay in one place while the wheel travels up and down under it.

Also, the rocker bolts are a specific shoulder bolt that you won't find at a hardware store. If you can't locate the correct bolts, your best bet would be to come up with a bushing that would fit. It looks like from your photos that you have at least some of the correct bolts.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's the problem I was talking about...the braces are way too long to use on the rigid side bolts.
I'll need to make some braces.
The patina paint on these braces is perfect though. If I can convince myself to cut them then I'll be in like Flynn.

The shoulder bolts are all there, it's just that there is a ton of play. Like there is a bushing missing.
Or maybe the Monark fender stays are needed to fill the space?
I can't tell, but whatever is supposed to fill that space is not here. I'll probably just use some bushings of some sort...

I'm not familiar with this fork...does anyone have any ideas ?
View attachment 27270
i would be affraid the axle slip out with the drop-outs reversed and the slots pointing up like this
http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-sleeve-bearings/=12yerwe
you should be abble to find the sleeve bearings/spacers you need on this site .. idealy flanged ,with the flange between the fork and the dropouts , they probably won't have the right lengt , but you choose the right inner and outer diameter and cut/file it yourself. nylon is the smoothest material and ease to work with imo

i like what you did with the paint , makes the parts mach the frame very well :thumbsup:

I'm pretty sure I have everything put together correctly ...?
Except for the fender brace of course, which looks like it will have just enough room next to this brass bushing I made to space the gap, once I shorten it up.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I'm not sure why, but this DX has never been a great ride for me...it could be the geometry of the frame but it rides like molasses for some reason...?
I have a seat that needs recovering that I'd like to use, I'm hoping that the new seat with a kicked back seat post will help the geometry some.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    298.2 KB · Views: 124
I have had the same issues with braces on a springer fork. Got the correct ones but it took a while to source them. Looks good though.

I'm pretty sure I have everything put together correctly ...?
yes , my bad:arghh::oops: , i understand now its a 'L' shaped slot :thumbsup:

Nice truck !

Yeah, looks like you need shorter braces... If you find or have a shorter set that are still too long, you could curve them. It's a look I've seen that would be cool. matching the curve on the trailing edge of the skirt guards. Not sure how they were made curved originally, and curving them on edge will be a pain, but it would look cool. (I think I'd bend the bow up)

Carl.

I have the complete Elgin donor bike still and was planning to do this build without cutting any of the Elgin parts.
Never know, four months from now I may want to put everything back the way it was...:)
But...the original paint on the Elgin ladies bike is toast, so the reality is that there's not much reason to sweat over a fender brace...I'm leaning towards cutting!

That Cycle Truck is sick! I love the side panels.
Since it is a pizza pie truck, maybe the front rack could have been semi circular.
It looks great!

Hey thanks!
I'll post this project in a build thread soon...I'll just say that the platform needs to be fire proof!
I sort of forgot that the reason I posted that bike in this thread was I wanted to see how many folks like to work on multiple projects at a time?
I've noticed a few others in these build off threads who seem to, but for me it's become a serious habit. ..:)
I find that coming back to a task or detail after letting it sit usually helps me get it right the first time. ..

I looked at my Monarks today and I believe that a fender brace from a 24" bike will probably work without any modification (or at least very little).

Also, it's been awhile since I've had either of mine apart, but I believe that two of the bolts are longer than the others to allow for the fender braces. They have two braces that mount on one stud. Your fender is shorter in the front and will probably only need the rear brace but you will need to make up the difference with a washer or something.

Hope that helps! Here's mine.
101_1302.jpg

Back