Do not get them wet!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
....global EV battery fires from 2010-2020, indicate a 0.0012% of a passenger electric vehicle battery catching fire….
It’s true that you have about the same chance as winning the lotto. 12 in a million. It’s a wonderful thing that they are so rare because once one happens there is nothing anybody can do about it. They must let it burn.

Gasoline fires happen every day and get extinguished every day.

Before I became an engineer, I used to work on all kinds of mechanical equipment, from a chainsaw to a road roller. Dump trucks, tractors, trenchers, dozers, backhoes….

We had hundreds of machines to attend to, and every now and then someone would start a fire. And put it out. Anytime you had a leaky fuel line and old spark plug wires there was a chance of this.

The worst thing that ever happened is somebody threw dirt down the carburetor to stop a fire from burning down a piece of heavy equipment.

ICE cars burn when they crash. Lithium cars burn just sitting there in the driveway charging.

I would feel much better about the whole modern electric car situation if it wasn’t so infected with profit mongering, outside intervention, misinformation, and just plain engineering failures.

As a lifelong engineer, it is hard for me to think this way, But engineering failures are very common. Most of them get patched up before anything really happens, because people are watching what goes on. In this case I kind of feel like people are being paid to look the other way.

Well I guess we have different feeds.

I saw this this morning -
....global EV battery fires from 2010-2020, indicate a 0.0012% of a passenger electric vehicle battery catching fire.
...there is a 0.1% chance of an ICE vehicle catching fire.
- https://www.evfiresafe.com/ev-fire-faqs
ICE fires don't make the news - they are too common.
Fact....you can extinguise an ICE fire...you cant extinguise an electric car fire!
...theres another advancement in batteries...They now plan to use small amounts of nuclear waste, wrap it in a zirconia diamond casing and whallah...we have the "Nuclear Diamond battery" apparently they rekon up to a maximum 28000 charging cycles.
They also say there is no harm to humans and is completely safe, Hmmmmmmm. here we go again!
Mark my words here, the electric car is an absolute testament to the ingenious of humans, we just gotta sort this power source thingy out!
I also have heard Tesla will not be putting lithium ion batteries into their cars after 2024, a new fuel cell technology is comming with HYDROGEN being the new direction.

It’s true that you have about the same chance as winning the lotto. 12 in a million. It’s a wonderful thing that they are so rare because once one happens there is nothing anybody can do about it. They must let it burn.

Gasoline fires happen every day and get extinguished every day.

Before I became an engineer, I used to work on all kinds of mechanical equipment, from a chainsaw to a road roller. Dump trucks, tractors, trenchers, dozers, backhoes….

We had hundreds of machines to attend to, and every now and then someone would start a fire. And put it out. Anytime you had a leaky fuel line and old spark plug wires there was a chance of this.

The worst thing that ever happened is somebody threw dirt down the carburetor to stop a fire from burning down a piece of heavy equipment.

ICE cars burn when they crash. Lithium cars burn just sitting there in the driveway charging.

I would feel much better about the whole modern electric car situation if it wasn’t so infected with profit mongering, outside intervention, misinformation, and just plain engineering failures.

As a lifelong engineer, it is hard for me to think this way, But engineering failures are very common. Most of them get patched up before anything really happens, because people are watching what goes on. In this case I kind of feel like people are being paid to look the other way.

Yes, you can't put battery fires out with water since water conducts. You need to use foam. Unfortunately most fire departments aren't prepared so they end up soaking the car while it continues to burn.

I am a former mechanic and gas cars can also burn while driving or parked if the conditions are right - overheating plus leaky fuel lines or A/C to name two. And, according to these stats, it's a 100 times more likely for a gas car to catch fire. But your point about extinguishing gas fires being easier is thankfully true.

As for people being paid to look the other way, we know the stories about exploding pintos and fiero BBQs. Unfortunately this technology has become politicized which boosts misinformation all around. People want their 15 minutes of fame and claim some breakthrough technology or some charging horror story to get attention.

It would be easy to be unfair about this. I’m not at all happy about the general state of ICE automotive engineering either.

I think the marketing of status and excitement has crippled the general business. I think the attention paid to testing and engineering has diminished as the price (and advertised performance) shot up. QC seems to be a dream with many companies.

But the engineering of EVs will improve, & I see Tesla taking great strides. Their network architecture is a huge part of building an EV that isn’t going to suffer redundancies and latencies and endless bugs.

Their competition is certainly suffering.

some oil news

The problem for OPEC is U.S. production surging, says Energy Aspects’ Amrita Sen

U.S. oil production is a 'real problem for OPEC', says top energy analyst Paul Sankey

The wife and I used uber to make a grocery run in Oahu last week. A $127,000 Tesla was our ride. A notch or two above our $12,000 Suzuki Celerio over here in the Philippines (still a good car only two years old). I was highly impressed, like riding in a space ship. Gull wing doors! If they can iron out the bugs, they have my endorsement. I need a $15,000 version.

1702351911257.jpeg

It pains me that in 1977 one could buy a car that got 50/37 mpg and we haven't improved much since, if at all. And these numbers weren't inflated. My stepfather had two B-210s in a row and got more than 50 with his. He was so proud to broadcast the number after a fill up.

1702581293737.png

Depending on where you live it would be pounds of coal or gallons of natural gas. Not sure about nuclear, solar or wind. Not nearly as much of that in the US as elsewhere. Most of our electric cars run on coal or natural gas.

Theres a multitude of video's on this, I found this one to be quite good!
its worth noting they say in the early days of EV ownership it was cheaper as they could charge at home, some cars dont allow this now. the results were quite surprising.

Very interesting. First definitive example I have seen.

My current mazda 2 from 2004 is great in carrying space because of high square roof and amazing fuel economy. But plastic radiator tanks etc will mean it coming off the road before everything else dies. Currently researching if there might be a brass or aluminium radiator that fits even if I need to drop back a model or 2. good news sold is so many counties likely one had a nippondenso ally radiator because local supplies of more modern was not available. With back and neck issues i can’t twist enough to climb in the more modern sloping roof stuff by myself.

Theres a multitude of video's on this, I found this one to be quite good!
its worth noting they say in the early days of EV ownership it was cheaper as they could charge at home, some cars dont allow this now. the results were quite surprising.

This is a common mistake gas car owners make when thinking about EVs. Any EV owner will tell you this is nonsense. You charge at home. Charging stations cost a lot to build and they charge you as much as they can get away with. Plus there is little competition so you get what you get. Regular EV drivers avoid using them as much as possible. To get an idea of the rate difference, I pay .32/KWH at home and the local charging station is .42 to .54/KWH plus .99 per charge. Plus most chargers are in parking garages so you need to pay for parking plus charging. That often works out to double what you'd pay at home.
If this was an accurate comparison, he would have started fully charged from home making the cost of the EV's fuel less than the gas car.

I don't know of any electric car that can't be charged at home. Here in the US they all come with a 120v charge cable, which is the minimum you'd need. Yes, it would take a long time to fully charge most cars on 120v, but how often do you drive 220 miles and need to drive another 220 miles again the next day? Most people drive around 20-40 miles a day. And 20-40 miles is a few hours on a common 120v/15 amp circuit.

And there is no mention of tune ups, oil changes, smog inspections, etc. A recent study from Canada showed owning an EV was 37% cheaper than a comparable gas car. https://www.greencars.com/expert-insights/how-much-cheaper-is-it-to-drive-electric

This is a common mistake gas car owners make when thinking about EVs. Any EV owner will tell you this is nonsense. You charge at home. Charging stations cost a lot to build and they charge you as much as they can get away with. Plus there is little competition so you get what you get. Regular EV drivers avoid using them as much as possible. To get an idea of the rate difference, I pay .32/KWH at home and the local charging station is .42 to .54/KWH plus .99 per charge. Plus most chargers are in parking garages so you need to pay for parking plus charging. That often works out to double what you'd pay at home.
If this was an accurate comparison, he would have started fully charged from home making the cost of the EV's fuel less than the gas car.

I don't know of any electric car that can't be charged at home. Here in the US they all come with a 120v charge cable, which is the minimum you'd need. Yes, it would take a long time to fully charge most cars on 120v, but how often do you drive 220 miles and need to drive another 220 miles again the next day? Most people drive around 20-40 miles a day. And 20-40 miles is a few hours on a common 120v/15 amp circuit.

And there is no mention of tune ups, oil changes, smog inspections, etc. A recent study from Canada showed owning an EV was 37% cheaper than a comparable gas car. https://www.greencars.com/expert-insights/how-much-cheaper-is-it-to-drive-electric
In reality, the problem with EV's and petrol cars is money, which is cheaper to run, buy. environmentally neither is better, they both used minerals etc in the process to make and while Ev's have zero emissions its the actual chemical make up of the components that makes them on par with Co2 emissions with a petrol car,
The clip I put up is a dead set comparison of both cars full and what they pay for an actual trip with identical starting points, location and conditions, A testament to this comparison is they also use an EV and petrol car in both test's from the same manufacturer and then used 2 manfacturers in the form of BMW and Peugeot,,
to charge at home and start the test with cheaper electricity would hinder the test and favour the EV, so the same can be said for a petrol car filling on test day at a 10-12cents cheaper fuel for the day, either way the test performed in the vid is the best comparison you'll find, its fair and honest without the pettiness of...oh I can charge at home or this gas station is cheaper or maybe I drive deisle so I get better economy blah blah so it cost me less etc etc we can go on all day about the pros n cons.
FACTS.... I love the EV and its promise of cleanliness and the unrivaled power n torque from get go "Sheesh" I also love the throng and feel of a high powered internal combustion engine....who didnt love V8's, Turbo'd 6's and fast fours n rotaries, they all had their fans and still do!
Its just this powering issue..we know we gotta stop the use of fossil fuels but at the moment its the 1% in the world that prohibit the good and proper so they can feed their greed.
an example is the guy who made the car that ran on water...Pfffft it didnt , it ran off a small rodial device that developed electrity, the car was actually electric. it was a circular ring of magnets and coils that when started , it didnt stop, it was the throw of one magnet to the other that gave momentum to the next and it just kept turning, the guy had found a way to make big power from it....the project was bought out for an undisclosed sum and the poor guy was never to be seen or heard of again! big money squandering the efforts to a cleaner greener world...I even stated earlier, Nikolai tesla had a Model T ford that ran on electricity in1900 and something?? took it JP morgan himself and was told if you cant put a meter on it I wont fund it and dont want it. This was happening over 100 yrs ago and its still happening today!

Okay. If we forget how the two vehicles filled up ahead of time and the "I won't use eco mode" on the EV, then that makes it a fairly good comparison for a long trip.
The issue I have is that it gives the impression that it's more expensive to own an EV which is not true.
The argument that the environmental costs of manufacturing an EV negates the CO2 benefit has also been disproven: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/19/business/electric-vehicles-carbon-footprint-batteries.html
I agree that there has been a lot of promising technology buried by other interests and I do believe the oil industry is out to discredit alternative energy and EVs at all costs. I think that's why we are seeing a lot of the same misinformation passing for facts 15 or 20 years later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back