Done DONE!!!! Capt. America's Zenith Fastback!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had some crazy adhesion problems! First I sanded the original primer that was on the frame and painted the red, I waited until it was good dry before I started painting the darts. Then when I was removing the tape from the darts, the red painted lifted right up with the tape in many places. I had to take the whole thing back to bare metal and completely repaint it. And I still had more adhesion problems that had to be touched up to complete the paint job.

I also started working on my headlight for this bike. I had a couple of these driving lights for sale and decided to see just how hard it would be to convert one to led. First, I had to cut the light in order to remove the back. I used a cutoff wheel to make a deep groove where I wanted the bulb to break. It took a little while, because I had to go slow. You can't put too much heat into the glass. Then I attached some mechanics wire to the bulb connectors and started the process of dipping it into boiling water then into ice water. After 6 or so rotations, the bulb fractured fairly well at the groove. I went back and cleaned up the sharp edges with a flapper wheel on my grinders.

index.php

Here are the parts that I will be using.

index.php

I used a clear 2 part epoxy to glue the leds into my aluminum backing plate.

index.php

index.php

Then I used the same epoxy to attach the backing plate to the front half of the bulb.

index.php

So far so good.

Last edited:
Your making me feel like I better get going soon on my fastback! I have been so dang busy with work and kid's little league that I have not had the play time out in the garage to do any bike related stuff.:( Plus, I'm still waiting for a few parts to come in, til then, I'll just enjoy watching yours come to life!:113:

Last edited:
when connecting the wires, do you run red to batt pos, and black to batt neg? I have done this way but it seems to drain the batt quickly. Was wondering if I should run the black to the light case, then to batt neg. thoughts.

Chief, I do normally switch on the neg. side. It seems that almost all auto manufacturers do this now also. So, I will put the switch on the neg. wire, but I won't ground the housing. I am going to run 2 A23 batteries in parallel, we'll see how much these leds eat. I do have the option of 9V batteries too.

Yeah Chris, I probably have other things that should be getting attention also! I think this will be one of my favorite riders when it is done. Last fall, I had a float hanging open and flooding the rad rod pickup.....I have to get a carb. kit and rebuild it this weekend.....It is finally turning into hot rod weather around here!!!!

Chief, I do normally switch on the neg. side. It seems that almost all auto manufacturers do this now also. So, I will put the switch on the neg. wire, but I won't ground the housing. I am going to run 2 A23 batteries in parallel, we'll see how much these leds eat. I do have the option of 9V batteries too.
I'll give it a shot--I am using a 9v.

I have been trying to post progress all weekend. I keep getting a message that I don't have permission to access/forum/index.php on this server. Then I get booted and blocked from getting back on the site?? This is the 4th computer that I have used to get in. I am confused.

Huh, it seems to be adding the picture that causes the problem!

I have been trying to post progress all weekend. I keep getting a message that I don't have permission to access/forum/index.php on this server. Then I get booted and blocked from getting back on the site?? This is the 4th computer that I have used to get in. I am confused.

Huh, it seems to be adding the picture that causes the problem!
Make sure your pics are under 1600x1600 pixels, otherwise the system thinks you are trying to hack it because of the amount of information you are trying to upload.

Luke.

Haha....Thanks, Luke..........Wow, me a hacker!!! Yeah, probably with an axe if I keep having these problems!! I am still locked out from home and work computers!! :headbang::headbang:

Just for reference, I was trying to load 2 pictures. The first shows to be 389 X 600 pixels and the second one is 600 X 324. I'm still confused......but that is really nothing new.:crazy:

Just for reference, I was trying to load 2 pictures. The first shows to be 389 X 600 pixels and the second one is 600 X 324. I'm still confused......but that is really nothing new.:crazy:
@Rat Rod is the man to help now...

Luke.

I know that Steve is working on it. Meanwhile, I will refrain from posting any more pics until I get other access. I don't want to have no way to get on this site!!

Latest posts

Back