TRADITIONAL Doom Slug

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After it was functional I went for a spin down to the lake. It's actually really cool to ride. It just needs fairly level terrain at the moment. The brakes need improvement and the gearing is still too high for the hills around here. But for mellow cruising it’s a kick. The shifter works good and it’s easy to use.
IMG_1300.jpeg
IMG_1301.jpeg
IMG_1302.jpeg

When I got back I mocked up the sheet metal. I really would like to use the Shelby chain guard. It just looks right on here.
IMG_1304.jpeg
IMG_1305.jpeg
IMG_1306.jpeg

I think I’m going to save the Monarch fenders for a stretch project. A bobbed rear fender might be the ticket. This one is for a 24” bike but I have others that would fit. If I can wrap this up later this week I can get back to my class 2 build.
IMG_1308.jpeg

Great looking rat!
I like the Shelby guard on as well.
You may want to redo the cable routing though. I'm guessing it's for testing purposes, but it will look better hidden along the frame lines
Monark fenders are always cool, but this build looks great without them too.

Great looking rat!
I like the Shelby guard on as well.
You may want to redo the cable routing though. I'm guessing it's for testing purposes, but it will look better hidden along the frame lines
Monark fenders are always cool, but this build looks great without them too.
If you look at how the cable has to exit the shift lever, where it is presently mounted, it couldn't follow that seat stay. The first bend would be too extreme, and it would still have to loop below the stay to function.

@Pondo, if you could run the shifter off the seat tube, you could curl the cable back up slightly to the seat stay and follow that down to the derailleur.

Pondo shifter re route.jpg

If you look at how the cable has to exit the shift lever, where it is presently mounted, it couldn't follow that seat stay. The first bend would be too extreme, and it would still have to loop below the stay to function.

@Pondo, if you could run the shifter off the seat tube, you could curl the cable back up slightly to the seat stay and follow that down to the derailleur.

View attachment 271512

I wasn't suggesting the the cabling run along the seatstay, but if the shifter stays in it's current location the cabling could run down the seattube farther and make it's sweeping curve hidden by the chainguard and run along the chainstay back to the derailleur.

If the shifter position is changed, then other options open up too..

Back