TRADITIONAL Doom Slug

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I drilled a new hole in the mounting bracket and trimmed it down. The rough edges will rust over time, so much the better. The light is now pulled back and down and definitely looks better. I’ll trim the stud to the bottom of the nut so it looks cleaner and won’t try to rub the tire. Now on to tire aging and WD40 polish.
View attachment 274970View attachment 274971View attachment 274972View attachment 274973
View attachment 274969

Oh yeah, the light position is perfect now!
I don't know how I missed it before, but I love the SEBikes tread on the tires. Super cool!

Thanks OJ! The headlight is way too shiny for the bike. I’d love to give it some patina but for now I’m flat out of time. I work the next 4 days so I’ve just got a few evenings to try to get some ok pics. One of my next projects is going to be watching some photography videos.

I think the shiny contrast with the rattiness looks great. Keep it as is. it goes with the shiny bits on your bike.

Just noodling around trying to luck into some decent shots. I’ll ride down to the beach in a while to see what happens there.
View attachment 275081View attachment 275082View attachment 275083View attachment 275084View attachment 275085

Great shots and angles. One suggestion though. Move you cranks around so that they aren't blocking the cool chainguard before you take your photos.
The bike is looking AWESOME!!!

Oh yeah, the light position is perfect now!
I don't know how I missed it before, but I love the SEBikes tread on the tires. Super cool!

I think the shiny contrast with the rattiness looks great. Keep it as is. it goes with the shiny bits on your bike.

Great shots and angles. One suggestion though. Move you cranks around so that they aren't blocking the cool chainguard before you take your photos.
The bike is looking AWESOME!!!
Thanks KF! I've appreciated the feedback and suggestions from you and everyone. It has really brought this build to a better level and I've learned a lot. I thought about the crank position as I was rolling the bike back to the garage. I'll try to think of that before I take the pics the next time. :39: I've got a couple of other locations to try out over the next few evenings. 😎

Thanks KF! I've appreciated the feedback and suggestions from you and everyone. It has really brought this build to a better level and I've learned a lot. I thought about the crank position as I was rolling the bike back to the garage. I'll try to think of that before I take the pics the next time. :39: I've got a couple of other locations to try out over the next few evenings. 😎

That is the absolute best thing about these build offs!! Each one of us has the opportunity to end up building a much better and cooler bike than we ever would have on our own. I know that I thrive on the feedback, even advice you don't take gets your brain churning.

Got a few of the last things finished up on this one. Clearanced the fender and guard to fit each other and the tire. Attached them both to the frame. That took much longer than I had hoped but I’m pleased with the results, they are solid and look good. I wasn’t sure how I was going to attach the rear of the guard. I wound up bending the tail of it around to use as a tab to bolt to an existing hole in the dropout.
View attachment 274828

I made some cable straps out of metal zip ties to clean up the cable run somewhat. I’m happy that all of these parts that are from different vintages and bikes are able to fit and have room for the chain to shift gears and not rub on anything. I threw on this cool headlight I got from AliExpress. I kind of like it on here. What do you guys think?
View attachment 274829View attachment 274830View attachment 274831View attachment 274832View attachment 274833

I’m very nearly done with this one now. In the morning I’ll age the front whitewall, rub the frame and tank down with WD40 and try to get some finished pics. I really like the way this bike turned out. It looks so cool now. It rides great too. In the future I want to add a front drum brake as the small rear brake needs help here in the mountains. If I keep the headlight on it I’d like to wire it to a battery in the tank. And try to get the horn working while I’m in there. For now it’s shower and dinner. Then to find a movie to pass out to this evening. Really fun day. ✌️

Love that headlight! Giving me 'Flight of the Navigator' vibes. Overall, just a sweet rat. Great job!

I really like the angle of the bike stance on this photo. If you have time, try setting it up more in the middle of the road / driveway, so there is blacktop behind the whole bike. Leave some room around the edges (don't crop too closely) because where you have the bike staged, I think you will get some 'perspective' of the road disappearing in the back ground. And the 'No Outlet' sign would be off to the right of the bike then. Which has kind of a cool ring to it. :nod: :wink1:

pondo bike.jpg

I really like the angle of the bike stance on this photo. If you have time, try setting it up more in the middle of the road / driveway, so there is blacktop behind the whole bike. Leave some room around the edges (don't crop too closely) because where you have the bike staged, I think you will get some 'perspective' of the road disappearing in the back ground. And the 'No Outlet' sign would be off to the right of the bike then. Which has kind of a cool ring to it. :nod: :wink1:

View attachment 275149

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try to do that. I originally wanted the bike in the middle of the road but it's steeper than it looks and the bike wouldn't stay upright or still. I'll get some blocks to fix that and do some more pics. 😎

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try to do that. I originally wanted the bike in the middle of the road but it's steeper than it looks and the bike wouldn't stay upright or still. I'll get some blocks to fix that and do some more pics. 😎
If the sun is right now in the morning, shoot from down the hill up, that way the road will naturally be in the background rising above the bike. And you can move it down the road till you get the right perspective.

If the sun is right now in the morning, shoot from down the hill up, that way the road will naturally be in the background rising above the bike. And you can move it down the road till you get the right perspective.
It's a great idea, OJ. Unfortunately I'll have been at work half an hour before sunrise. I need to try to get my builds done quicker so I have a weekend or 2 for riding and pics. I rode this one down to the little beach last night hoping most of the weekenders had gone home but it was packed and no where to set up. I'll try again tonight or I'll try the smaller beach on the other side of the lake.

I'm just glad I was able to get my builds done at this point. I had gotten a new insurance company for fire insurance due to my last provider pulling out of the state again. The inspector didn't like a few of my project cars out in the yard so I've been dealing with that the last few months as well. I had to finagle enough space to fit my Studebaker in the garage; that was a process as there wasn't any spare space. Sold one project. Then I moved my brother's '40 Chevy truck to my folk's place. I needed to have it running and driving before I took it there which entailed completely rebuilding the brakes and getting it running again. When I hooked up a cooling system I found the 235 had a cracked block. Fantastic. So I swapped in the spare motor I had, rewired the truck enough to run and charge and then went about finding a trailer. I finally got it moved last weekend after plans for that got blocked by a wildfire 3 weeks ago. It's been an adventure but, man, it's really cool to have the 40 drivable for the 1st time in decades and it is a blast!
IMG_0966.jpeg
IMG_1420.jpeg

Holy crap! That's quite an agenda of work you've been undertaking. Can't imagine fitting a bike build in amongst all that!

Back