DRAG KING ___Raceliner Dragster___

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys for the opinions!
Luke, I like your point about the ends being in line. And Carl, another good point about open headers and looking more rat than the longer street pipes.
I would be happy with any of the options including not at all, but so far you guys are confirming my initial thought.:)

I'd like to get some opinions about the length of the pipes. I photoshopped a short medium and long version. I have my preference, but I'm not completely settled yet. I'd like to see what others think before I commit to it.

dragpipeslength_zps736bfe2b.jpg

Of the three choices, I like the short pipe too.

But I agree with Kingfish in that I actually prefer no pipe at all :)

Glen.

I would also leave it without the pipe.
I understand your vision, but because it is bicycle the pipe has no function.
Therefore it´s redundant.
And it also looks better without it...
:oops: That´s just my 2 cents :oops:

Styling isn't redundant. What's the purpose of a tank on a bike that has no motor? Why do we use acorn nuts or hidden fasteners, when plain old nuts and bolts will suffice? Styling my friend, is only limited by the range of your imagination. If I would have had a bike like that as a kid my mind would have been at U.S. 30 dragstrip! ( even as an adult that's where I go... ) I guess some people miss the art when they see a bike...

:soapbox: Carl.

Thank you everyone for your honest opinions!
I would also leave it without the pipe.
I understand your vision, but because it is bicycle the pipe has no function.
Therefore it´s redundant.
And it also looks better without it...
:oops: That´s just my 2 cents :oops:
Your point is well taken and I agree!

That philosophy has always been important to me when considering what I add to the bike. I typically need a certain amount of justification for anything that I do to it. Having said that, I do take a few liberties from time to time (like the tow hook for example, which is eye candy, even though I probably will actually use it for a tie down if I haul it in my truck), but it's not necessary.

It's also fun to add things that serve a purpose that is not what it appears to be at first glance. I tried to do that with the traction bars. They obviously have no effect on traction but were made to (hopefully) add to the drag racing look while actually serving the real purpose of stabilizing the extended drop outs. And of course the tank is not a real tank, but is where the batteries for the lights will be hidden.

The pipes are something that I had planned from the start, but I have gone back and forth about whether or not to add them. I have seen other bikes with fake exhaust and felt the same way about it as you do.

So, here's my rational for the idea:
The pipes are actually there to serve as a place to hide LED tail lights. Of course there are endless ways to add tail lights that would look good, but by doing it this way, I have justification for adding something superfluous that will hopefully accentuate the drag theme without being too campy.

There is definitely a fine line between clever and ridiculous, so maybe I do need to give it a little more thought about where that line is. :39:

I'm always open to opinions and suggestions, keep'm coming!

Thank you everyone for your honest opinions!
Your point is well taken and I agree!

That philosophy has always been important to me when considering what I add to the bike. I typically need a certain amount of justification for anything that I do to it. Having said that, I do take a few liberties from time to time (like the tow hook for example, which is eye candy, even though I probably will actually use it for a tie down if I haul it in my truck), but it's not necessary.

It's also fun to add things that serve a purpose that is not what it appears to be at first glance. I tried to do that with the traction bars. They obviously have no effect on traction but were made to (hopefully) add to the drag racing look while actually serving the real purpose of stabilizing the extended drop outs. And of course the tank is not a real tank, but is where the batteries for the lights will be hidden.

The pipes are something that I had planned from the start, but I have gone back and forth about whether or not to add them. I have seen other bikes with fake exhaust and felt the same way about it as you do.

So, here's my rational for the idea:
The pipes are actually there to serve as a place to hide LED tail lights. Of course there are endless ways to add tail lights that would look good, but by doing it this way, I have justification for adding something superfluous that will hopefully accentuate the drag theme without being too campy.

There is definitely a fine line between clever and ridiculous, so maybe I do need to give it a little more thought about where that line is. :39:

I'm always open to opinions and suggestions, keep'm coming!

You understood my point to the nose.
My philosofy in designing is "Design what u want and scrap half of it".

Now, back to the pipe.
Your idea of using it as a light gives it a function, so now it´s not redundant any more...:grin:

Styling isn't redundant. What's the purpose of a tank on a bike that has no motor? Why do we use acorn nuts or hidden fasteners, when plain old nuts and bolts will suffice? Styling my friend, is only limited by the range of your imagination. If I would have had a bike like that as a kid my mind would have been at U.S. 30 dragstrip! ( even as an adult that's where I go... ) I guess some people miss the art when they see a bike...

:soapbox: Carl.

Hi Carl and sorry that I didn´t make myself clear.
As I replied to The Renaissance Man, I feel that good design needs function.
I mean, when you need a nut you shall make it look as good as you can but if you don´t need a nut why should you add one? That´s my point. I hope you understand my thinking...

Sorry if I offended you but I was supporting the ARTISTIC vision of RM. I understand function but without art we'd have had no wings on the Caddilacs. We'd have had no flamed paint jobs. I think the imagination stirred by these type of builds is just as important than the functionality of a table leg. I point my finger at anyone who fails to see ART and say "BANG" with my imaginary popgun...

Carl.

No harm done, this is just friendly bickering (over a bottle of beer :dance2:((I wish)) between fellow bikers.

Oh, and don´t get me wrong. I think RM´s bike is absolutely brilliant!

I still love @raggedjim 's quote
"If it looks cool then it is functioning perfectly..."

It's seems that the short version is the clear front runner out of the three lengths (confirming my thoughts). But since there were a few in favor of no pipes at all, I thought that I should do a side by side comparison of with or without pipes.

Let me know what you think.
Pipesornot_zps7c38b6d6.jpg

Back