DROPPING OUT - (MBBO Class 1) Afterburner X53/254

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingfish254

BUILD COOL BIKES AND HAVE FUN!!
Pro Member
Reaction score
I still don't know if I am going to have time to complete this, but I'll try.
After I picked up this wicked red metal flake nanner from @Ichoptop my brain started spinning on how to use it.
RedGlitterNanner10531268_10203141105983109_4027791119682174248_o.jpg

Earlier in the year I got this Western Flyer X-53 frame from @bikesnbuses .
P1160432_zps7c3f3450-1.jpg

Last year I picked up this X53 springer fork from @carterz
d7d93480-f086-4ba8-9e0a-d810fdaed740_zps4fa6c9c5.jpg

When I got the X53 frame I liked how the back of the mid tubes was open and knew I would use that feature for something cool. My plan is to use some 9/16 solid rod that comes out from the mid tubes and curves up to a sissy bar.

I have been working with Chad (@slowriderz ) to get one of his rock solid layback seatposts. This is gonna allow me to mount the nanner so that it floats out above the sissy bar.

Here is an initial rough mock up from various angles.
WP_20140928_13_44_32_Pro.jpg

WP_20140928_13_42_15_Pro.jpg

WP_20140928_13_46_49_Pro.jpg
WP_20140928_13_47_27_Pro.jpg
WP_20140928_13_47_56_Pro.jpg
WP_20140928_13_48_14_Pro.jpg
WP_20140928_13_48_27_Pro.jpg

PARTS LIST
Western Flyer X53 Frame - @carterz
X53 Fork - @bikesnbuses
Mesinger Red Glitter Nanner - @Ichoptop
Laidback seatpost - @slowriderz
Electra Ghostrider wheelset - @BillyZ
Bendix Stick Shift - @Dale Alan
Rollfast pool cue rack - @Jpromo

Last edited:
That is a very cool looking frame what year is that and size? It's gonna look really good and looking forward to watching this build. Good luck and hope you can complete it.

Great idea you've got swimming around in your head. Has great possibilities as a simple, stout, muscular musclebike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Tank. I thought about going chopper on it with my Spoiler fork, but liked the stronger stance with the springer forks.

That is a very cool looking frame what year is that and size? It's gonna look really good and looking forward to watching this build. Good luck and hope you can complete it.

It's a mid fifties Western Flyer x-53. I really wish I had the tank that goes with it. Here is what they looked like complete (on the right).
ad-1955-Western-Auto-x-53.jpg

AWESOME! Glad you are in King, and your plans is awesome! The floating banana and the sissy bar that echoes the downturn on the mid bars is inspired! :cool:

Luke.

Thanks Luke. This should be fun.

The wheelset that I plan to use is this 3 speed polished aluminum Ghostrider set I got from BillyZ. I'm pretty sure I'll keep the 24x3 Fatti-O on the rear, but use the skinnier 24 tire from the mockup.
24Nexus.jpg

I look through my other shifters, but I think I am going to use the Bendix one that I have coming from @Dale Alan .
index.php

I have another idea about the chainguard, but I am kinda digging the way the Dyno guard looks in the mockup.

Will this muscle bike stay as-is paint wise Kingfish?

No, I doubt it. Gotta come up with something that works with the seat. Kinda torn between going with how I would have painted it in the muscle bike days or something that also has a rat rod vibe.

Hey Kingfish, I saw the top plate for your springer for sale on the Cabe this morning!

Thanks buddy, but I have the top plate, it's just not in that photo.

Yes...I think something to go with seat is the way to go...and I am not into painting much. Hope you have grips match seat .... ;)

I know that I have some red grips, but I can't remember if I have any red glitter grips. I might have to check with @Rockit! since he is my build off grip supplier! :D

Great lines! This is going to be a great build!

Thanks Crash! I hope I have time to make it worthy of the competition in this years MBBO.

When I got the X53 frame I liked how the back of the mid tubes was open and knew I would use that feature for something cool. My plan is to use some 9/16 solid rod that comes out from the mid tubes and curves up to a sissy bar.

I have been working with Chad (@slowriderz ) to get one of his rock solid layback seatposts. This is gonna allow me to mount the nanner so that it floats out above the sissy bar.

Here is an initial rough mock up from various angles.
View attachment 6451
View attachment 6450
View attachment 6452 View attachment 6453 View attachment 6454 View attachment 6455 View attachment 6456

That floating nanner idea is genius and that saddle and chainguard are just too cool!

Gonna be awesome! I'd say that with your red metalflake grips and banana seat, the frame would look great painted like the 1955 ad. Maybe a trick red metalflake with a satin black?

Back