Electra Ghost Rider Build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, just wanted to start a build thread for my Electra Ghost Rider. I picked this up recently for a good deal (250 cdn) and I am going to be building it up over the next couple of months. Currently the only mods I've done are replace all the hardware with stainless steel bolts that have been filed, sanded, and hand polished to a mirror finish, I've also removed the the rear fender and chain guard for a cleaner look. I want to change to drag style low handle bars but didn't want to invest in a new stem to make 7/8" bars work, I ended up ordering a set of motorcycle drag bars in 1" diameter so I can use the original stem. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks I will be disassembling the whole bike and powder coating the frame and fork legs, not sure what color yet but I am thinking black for the fork legs and a vibrant color with some metal flake for the frame.

Here is a few pictures of my bike so far, the pic of the bike on the grey wall was the day I picked it up.

Attachments

• 20210924_185513.jpg
    20210924_185513.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 96
  • 20210924_190138.jpg
    20210924_190138.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 100
  • 20210914_185544.jpg
    20210914_185544.jpg
    320.3 KB · Views: 97
  • 20211003_155104.jpg
    20211003_155104.jpg
    525.3 KB · Views: 105
Well I made a mistake and trusted the internet without check for myself, my Electra uses the common 7/8" bar size. Luckily I was able to cancel the order for the 1" drag bar before it shipped. Today I stripped the bike down to a bare frame, I am going to cut the tabs off for the chain guard before it goes in for powder coating.

Lovely bike! My daily rider is a Ghostrider as well! I should take a new photo by the way, since it got a few upgrades for the coming winter season, including a Nuvinci transmission.
_MG_7394.jpg

One thing to keep in mind with the stainless bolts and aluminium parts is that they start a galvanic reaction and over time degrade. It is basically not recommended to use stainless bolts with alu alloy because they practically weld together after some time and you will have difficulty to take them out. Some grease helps a little, but does not fix the issue completely only winning you some time.

Lovely bike! My daily rider is a Ghostrider as well! I should take a new photo by the way, since it got a few upgrades for the coming winter season, including a Nuvinci transmission.
View attachment 176974

One thing to keep in mind with the stainless bolts and aluminium parts is that they start a galvanic reaction and over time degrade. It is basically not recommended to use stainless bolts with alu alloy because they practically weld together after some time and you will have difficulty to take them out. Some grease helps a little, but does not fix the issue completely only winning you some time.
That's a sweet ghost rider Starnger! What are you running for a crank in it? That is a piece of the puzzle I am trying to work out on mine right now.

Thanks!
That's a traditional euro style 5 bolt crankset, commonly found on single speed and road bikes. Mine is made by Prowheel and measures 170mm, but any length and manufacturer should work same. I had to play quite a bit with the chain guard offset to clear the sprocket, but since you are getting rid of the guard that won't be a case for you.
The reason i've switched to it from the original crankset is that i've destroyed two Electra sets before. The sprocket on original crank is press fitted, i guess i was pedaling too hard so eventually it got loose. Never could happen with the detachable sprocket on 5 bolts. Another advantage of this solution is that i can just change the sprocket out once it is worn out, basically i have to do it once in around two years. I believe you have already guessed i do ride this bike a lot all year long, so parts really do wear out from the load i apply to it eventually :)

Thanks!
That's a traditional euro style 5 bolt crankset, commonly found on single speed and road bikes. Mine is made by Prowheel and measures 170mm, but any length and manufacturer should work same. I had to play quite a bit with the chain guard offset to clear the sprocket, but since you are getting rid of the guard that won't be a case for you.
The reason i've switched to it from the original crankset is that i've destroyed two Electra sets before. The sprocket on original crank is press fitted, i guess i was pedaling too hard so eventually it got loose. Never could happen with the detachable sprocket on 5 bolts. Another advantage of this solution is that i can just change the sprocket out once it is worn out, basically i have to do it once in around two years. I believe you have already guessed i do ride this bike a lot all year long, so parts really do wear out from the load i apply to it eventually :)
Did you use the original bottom bracket with the square taper shaft or was that changed out as well? Thanks for heads up on the pressed on chainwheel, I had been trying to get mine off and couldn't figure out if it was threaded on or what.

Did you use the original bottom bracket with the square taper shaft or was that changed out as well? Thanks for heads up on the pressed on chainwheel, I had been trying to get mine off and couldn't figure out if it was threaded on or what.
Yes, i am using the original sealed bearings bottom bracket set. Feel free to ask if you have more questions ;)

20211107_200656.jpg
20211107_200709.jpg
20211107_200713.jpg

Found a new crankset on the local classifieds site Kijiji tonight. A brand new unknown brand 46t. The chainline appears that it will match, was happy to find it! Also picked up some new cheap pedals today, there was a new sports store having a grand opening In town and they were giving away 10 dollar gift cards. The pedals were 14 so they only cost me 4 bucks out of pocket.

20211109_195506.jpg
20211109_210105.jpg
20211109_210100.jpg

Made some more progress tonight. Removed the paint and sanded the stem down to 600 grit to get ready for polishing. The stem clamp and top cap are getting powder coated with the frame. Cleaned the bottom bracket and washed the chain.

Attachments

• 20211109_211218.jpg
    20211109_211218.jpg
    422.7 KB · Views: 65
I find chain cleaning so messy, but the result so rewarding!
I am lucky we have a parts washer at work, I was able to zip tie it inside so it didn't fly around and let it run for 30 mins, it uses hot water with detergent and high pressure jets on grated turn table. Worked very well!

Latest posts

Back