Elgin Board Track Racer, she's finis!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A faux "oil tank" panel would be great on your Elgin! You could even have one mounting strap behind the tank extension and the other down low (near the BB) and you would never see the mounts, especially from the drive side!

A faux "oil tank" panel would be great on your Elgin! You could even have one mounting strap behind the tank extension and the other down low (near the BB) and you would never see the mounts, especially from the drive side!
So, the one you built is just flat? It looks so three dimensional on your ElgIndian. I am thinking this would be a cool thing to add! Thanks for the tips on your thread earlier :thumbsup:

I picked up one of those after-market drop stands hoping it would work on my Elgin frame.
If anyone has wondered, I think with modification it will fit a number of frames.

I had to grind a tab off and also the lip along the mounting bracket.
A little sanding and touch-up paint and I think it will work just fine!
I have used these in a few of my builds. I have one on 'Indian Arrow" right now. Let me know if you hit some snags with it. There are ways around the issues.

- by Gigmata

Paint, tires, 7 spd hub, saddle , bars...everything coming together nicely! You'll be rollin' soon!

Are you saying just leave it hanging down and clamp it where it is?
Looks like it is in about the same position as mine. I just reshaped Shimano's brake arm camp and added the bolt, done deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like it is in about the same position as mine. I just reshaped Shimano's brake arm camp and added the bolt, done deal.

Thanks. So, you're saying the brake arm is fine pointed in this somewhat downward position, correct? What about on the drive side where the shift cable feeds into that housing? Will that function as it should?
I was under the assumption that it had to be somewhat parallel to the frame and the brake arm and this housing move in unison.

Bike is looking good, dig the color choice and tank graphics.

I can answer about your hub, but I have an old three speed the brake arm was mounted down like that when I got it. Didn't have any problems.

Thanks. So, you're saying the brake arm is fine pointed in this somewhat downward position, correct? What about on the drive side where the shift cable feeds into that housing? Will that function as it should?
I was under the assumption that it had to be somewhat parallel to the frame and the brake arm and this housing move in unison.
The arm should move independent of the drive side.
f6a407e2579887698cd3a4a41a6eb185.jpg
228d4cbc8a2bfbca3be8cf25c7140d60.jpg

Not real good pics but arm is angled down.

As long as your shift cable entering the hub isn't at a 90 degree angle to the chain stay you should be fine.

Nearly a roller this evening but foiled by the brake arm on this Nexus 7 wheel.
Anyone else had this occur? I'm thinking I could remove the brake arm and squeeze it in the vise until it's flat?
The bend in the brake arm is hitting the chain stays.

Could you install a spacer/thick washer on the outside of the brake arm to effectively 'push' the frame away from it?
If this issue has been resolved, my apologies, these threads get a little convoluted with input sometimes.....

Back