>>> Elgin Burrito Concept<<<

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DO IT! It really is no different than most on here that will strip a good clean original bike just to get more money for the parts then a complete bike.

karfer67 said:
can u say 63 1/2 stingray burrito?

i can. the ideas already together and i'm just waiting to luck across a stingray deal. probaly something like an original stingray isn't gonna come up as a bargain, but vintage, off brand copy or just a black friday krate, whatever i find it's got a date with my sawzall.

Truth is I have books full of drawing of potential frame styles, some road worhty, others just show bikes. I actually put this drawing together after I read Aussiejesters thread about burrito's. Then, as luck would have it I hit ebay at just the right time. As for this frameset. It sold once on ebay at considerably more than I paid. I guess the high bidder backed out. It was relisted with a best offer button and I put in a bid and it was accepted at well below what the original auction ended at. Call it right place at the right time.

As for calling my bluff about actually cutting up vintage iron - don't put it past me. In my hot Wheels customizing days I thought nothing of chopping up $80-$100 hot Wheel cars just for the wheels or engines to make my customs - using the right parts should never compromise a custom/vision -PERIOD.

The jury will remain out until I actually have the frameset in hand - probably the middle of next week. Until then if you have any design element changes you want to add, just contribute to the thread.

Thanks, Joe

What original parts/pieces/frame bits off the old bike do you plan on carrying over to the burrito that can't be duplicated?

Not to be rude, but your concept sketch and the original frame don't seem to carry much (if anything) in common, so I'm having a really hard time seeing why it's necessary to hack up an original frame. Maybe I'm missing something.

4100634263_2ea1cbeabd_o.gif

elginstretch.jpg

I printed your sketch and scribbled on it.

I like the top two bars but you put a curve in the bottom bar that, if you wished to keep with the Elgin look I would remove and make more angled. I love the skirt guard and would love to see a rear stand added. I think if you kept the stack rear drop out with adjustment it would be really cool. I would add a front fender with a light and remove the handle bar light. I would make the triple trees run parallel to the head tube.

I don't usually give my comments and when I do rarely this detailed, but cutting up the Elgin is an intriguing idea, and now that you profess this to be a real desire I felt compelled to get very specific.

Just two buds talking about cutting up something cool in hopes to make it cooler. If we were on a pub ride we'd be having a beer. I hope you have at it.

somewhat related: I think I figured out how to make the full coverage fender work. Again, another idea of yours that intrigued me.

Cheers.

For exactly the same reason people build customs from real and original metal whenever possible. I hate fiberglass hot rods. Not for what they are so much as for what they represent in my mind. I won't go into it because it would take a long time to write, but you can troll the HAMB board if you want and see some really cool classic iron. Lotsof which was chopped and massaged at some point to reflect the then owners vision.

As for "rare", well there were many thousands of motorbike bicycles frames made back int he day. THey are really not that rare.

I welcome your opinion though and as I said, it remains to be seen what acttually becomes of it until i have it in hand and can do a hands on once over.

Thanks, Joe

hotfoot said:
What original parts/pieces/frame bits off the old bike do you plan on carrying over to the burrito that can't be duplicated?

Not to be rude, but your concept sketch and the original frame don't seem to carry much (if anything) in common, so I'm having a really hard time seeing why it's necessary to hack up an original frame. Maybe I'm missing something.

Skip,

I like using the original dropout design, but I don't think the drop stand hanging over the rear wheel looks aesthetically clean. i considered that idea when i drew it up, but decided against it. Creative minds though do think alike. I agree with the down tube not being rounded and it may end up being angle joined with a small gusset with holes to look like a drilled front crossmemner on a 32 Ford. Which gives me an idea!!!

I like bar lights - just a personal preference, but not married to that design idea.

As for the forks - the bike needs to be comfortable to ride and this was a 2Dimensional crack at trying to work out the ergonomics. I needed to achieve some rake to accompany a 20inch front wheels and a 24" rear wheel. ideally I would like to have both be 24", but I think for rolling purposes and turn in the best option is 24x 20. The scale may be a bit off. I really wanted the head tube to remain in almost it;s original rake. I realized when I drew it that it might not be possible, but continued on with the design. As I said, it is hard to design on a piece of paper and see if all the dimensions are feasible. I think a front fender would be very cool and I have an idea for one that I think should work and be very cool.

Thanks for the constructive comments!

Now, the next round is on me!

Joe

thatismytruck said:
elginstretch.jpg

I printed your sketch and scribbled on it.

I like the top two bars but you put a curve in the bottom bar that, if you wished to keep with the Elgin look I would remove and make more angled. I love the skirt guard and would love to see a rear stand added. I think if you kept the stack rear drop out with adjustment it would be really cool. I would add a front fender with a light and remove the handle bar light. I would make the triple trees run parallel to the head tube.

I don't usually give my comments and when I do rarely this detailed, but cutting up the Elgin is an intriguing idea, and now that you profess this to be a real desire I felt compelled to get very specific.

Just two buds talking about cutting up something cool in hopes to make it cooler. If we were on a pub ride we'd be having a beer. I hope you have at it.

somewhat related: I think I figured out how to make the full coverage fender work. Again, another idea of yours that intrigued me.

Cheers.

I think it would be an interesting idea, but what I can not understand is why you would cut up something that looks as good as that frame! There are a lot of rusted, junk, and beaten up frames that would be fine for that project. I personally say DON'T cut that that bike up. Find a junk bike and cut that one up.

Thats my 2 cents.

Cut it up. Or don't. I think the bike in your sketch will be an awesome ride. At the same time that frame is already a good start on a beautiful bike. But it is yours. You spent your money on it so do as you wish. I would love to have either one (or both) in my garage. I couldn't justify chopping up that frame myself, especially after dropping a sizable chunk of change on it. But you are not me. I look forward to seeing this play out either way. And that's all I have to saw about that.

yeshoney said:
As for the forks - the bike needs to be comfortable to ride and this was a 2Dimensional crack at trying to work out the ergonomics. I needed to achieve some rake to accompany a 20inch front wheels and a 24" rear wheel. ideally I would like to have both be 24", but I think for rolling purposes and turn in the best option is 24x 20. The scale may be a bit off. I really wanted the head tube to remain in almost it;s original rake. I realized when I drew it that it might not be possible, but continued on with the design. As I said, it is hard to design on a piece of paper and see if all the dimensions are feasible. I think a front fender would be very cool and I have an idea for one that I think should work and be very cool.

Hey Joe,

Ergonomics? You should see how me and Brain plan out his crazy builds. A rough sketch to build by but when marking critical angles, we used a very precise technique. We took what we had and layed it on the ground. Then, he layed on the ground and assume the "bike riding" position. Marked metal with a sharpie or copied the approx angles to a piece of cardboard. If people could see it happen, they would laugh their butts off. Somehow it all works out.

Dan

Ok heres my 2 cents ( really thats all I have left after buying bikes ,parts this week) but seriously I will compare this to the late Boyd Coddington, Some of his stuff was off the hook while others just well....sucked but the thing I hated about Boyd is he just bought the finest in everything just to cut it up , now my appreciation comes from taking a rusty piece of scrap and making a work of art out of it....thats all I got for now....

Rat Rod said:
1. Extend Arm
2. Open Hand
2. Grab Chain
3. Yank!
Joe's laughing to hard to "yank"

makes me wish i could TIG i doooo have that 36 aluminum hawthorn hanging in the garage. :D

Back