ENIGMA

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The swing arm for a fork looks awesome. Im gonna have to steal that one. The suspension fork in the rear is too. Out of curiousity tho, is it gonna be functional? My eyes cant tell in the pic

So what kind of brakes is this bad boy having?

Right now I'm running a coaster brake. I had to remove the brake bosses from the forks (they were for 26" wheels, I'm running 24"s.) I would love to go with disc brakes, but there's not much clearance with the aluminum discs? But I'm not worried, I'll deal with this matter later down the road.

I'm confused about your disc process. Aluminum anneals at around 850 degrees F. Normal use of pizza pans is around 500 degrees F, so I'm curious how they formed so well at the temperature they are designed to be used at. Also, how did you get the perfect spunned look? I have been making aluminum and stainless steel products for years and have never found anyone who can mimic that look without specialty tools.
I would really appreciate a little more input on this as I would love to learn how to do this as well as you have done here.
Thanks!:)

I’m not a metallurgist nor do I pretend to know why a thing scientifically happens? It could be the density of the aluminum…I don't know...I just needed them to bow and I came up with this DIY solution?

The discs are not perfect by any stretch of the imagination! They have multiple imperfections to the discerning eye; dimples and waves. But heck…they’ll do the trick, mimicking the pricey “Moon” discs…these only cost me a staggering $20 for 4 pizza pans!

The “spunned” look is achieved using multiple grits of sand paper, a variable-speed hand drill and an arbor. It’s the same technique used by Moon Eyes, it's just unorthodox and very, very primitive.:grin:

Like I said… “proceed at your own risk”.

Last edited:
Just be sure to remove the pepperoni before applying power to the drill. :D
This is actually pretty close to what I was imagining you doing when I saw those brushed discs.
Very cool my friend!
I with you on not needing to know the scientific reasons something works or doesn't work, as long as it gets the job done. I don't think there was any akneeling going on. Your earlier photos clearly show you afooting the aluminum.

Do you mind sharing the pizza pan connection? I looked around for another bike I have and I could not find them anywhere for less than 40 -50 a piece. They just look friggen awesome.

Yeah, I was wondering about that too. Kind of hard to tell from the side view. (Don't forget about those other tank picks that I mentioned back on post 234).

...And while your snapping picks, I think Jake and the rest of us would LOVE to see this guy standing on top!:D:113:
17f972e6-e55b-477e-91f9-2ef5e07b1238.png

I was perusing back through all the amazing fabrication on this and showing some of the guys here at work. Can we see a picture of how the grill pieces intersect with the frame tubes? Are they coped around the frame and head tube?
It's an awesome look from the side view!:)

Don't forget about those other tank picks that I mentioned back on post 234).

...And while your snapping picks, I think Jake and the rest of us would LOVE to see this guy standing on top!:D:113:
17f972e6-e55b-477e-91f9-2ef5e07b1238.png

I haven't forgot about your request...I'm just not ready to reveal it's direction. When I'm comfortable to share it, I'm make sure John Steward (Green Lantern) is standing tall in the saddle. :grin::grin:

Yessir that would look so cool! Ya bike is smoking man!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back