Firewing 1953 Columbia 3 Star DeLuxe (2nd) - 3/15 TRADED

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: FireWing 53 Columbia 3 Star-7/8 Tank Spray Paint Complete

Dr. Tankenstein said:
That tank looks awesome!
For the finish, I would rub the paint aggressively with a simple cotton rag to give it a worn 'sheen'.

Just diggin' the whole eclectic vibe of this bike.

Your best work so far (and I love Flexy).

Cheers buddy,
Dr. T

Thanks Tank! Sorry you weren't able t stop by and see it last week. I'll keep that cotton rag option in mind. I plan to paint some metal to test on. I do still plan to used boiled linseed on the frame (after I touch up the "Three Star Deluxe" downtube script. I was wondering what the oil looks like over flat paint? I also plan to test out rubbing the flat paint with an motor oily rag.

Re: FireWing 53 Columbia 3 Star-7/10 Tank Mounted - OH YEAH!!!!!

Didn't have any good hardener for my bondo, but I did have some of this FastSteel epoxy putty. Nanner holes are plugged now.

Couldn't wait to mount the tank halves. I am LOVING the way they turned out!!!!!!!!

OH YEAH!!!!! That looks awesome! 8) 8) Great job :wink:

Thanks buddy!

I like the way the ramshorn sweep compliments the sweep of the tank and chainguard wings.
I still plan to paint the fender light with a similar sweeping wing in creme.

WP_002337_zps01c60399.jpg

kingfish254 said:
There is also the possibility of not having any fauxtina. I'll just have to see how all the parts play together. Like any good Rat Whisperer, I'll listen to what the bike tells me to do. :p
YOU TALKING TO YA BIKE NOW?!? I MUST BE RUBBING OFF ON YOU. GREAT WORK B!! THAT TANK AND BARS ARE SWEEEET!! YBJ2B. PEACE

WOW your right the tank/ bars/ and grip work together so very well!!!! :D :!:

Troy

Wow love the bike. Love the bars I just put the same ones on my 52 hornet. You will be presently surprised as to how they are very comfy. Only thing I did different was use a schwinn drop stem to get them a tad lower. ....... bike u got my vote

Great blend going on the top half... are u going to rust em a lil,to blend with the rims n chain guard? :D

Lovin' that profile shot!
Be careful that the bars don't dent up your tank. My daughter's triple tree fork has done a number on her's.

Cheers,
Dr. T

This is lookin better and better every day!

Everything is tying in together nicely :shock:

Love the way the colour scheme is coming together on this one that smaller amount of creme is just lifting the others great.

As usual the more that goes together in it's final incarnation the better it gets.

awesome job on the paint
i love the flames they make the look even better
you outdone yourself on the paint man its fantastic
just the right amount of rat/custom nothing overdone
and the bars are sweet i actually have a pair of ramshorns i might have to use similar to that style
keep up the good work kingfish its coming along great
p.s. if you are ever in Nebraska let me know we can go riding if you're up to it there's lots of open land around here that's flat and perfect for cruising plus there's a cool shop a few blocks form me
that has some sweet bikes and parts i have been going to
its always more fun to cruise with ppl that are into bikes as much as i am my g/f doesn't understand i don't think lol but she accepts it
keep up the good work like i said its looking fantastic
Sean

Jake Sensi said:
kingfish254 said:
There is also the possibility of not having any fauxtina. I'll just have to see how all the parts play together. Like any good Rat Whisperer, I'll listen to what the bike tells me to do. :p
YOU TALKING TO YA BIKE NOW?!? I MUST BE RUBBING OFF ON YOU. GREAT WORK B!! THAT TANK AND BARS ARE SWEEEET!! YBJ2B. PEACE

Jake, I don't talk to the bike. That would be crazy! :p
I only listen to the voices coming from the bike. Which is perfectly sane..........Right??? :mrgreen:

noodlenoggin said:
You're such a tease! Showing us one bit...then another bit...then painted...then mounted... Aargh! :)

Just sharing each step with you guys as I go. It's just as much of a tease for me to see how it turns out.

karfer67 said:
Wow love the bike. Love the bars I just put the same ones on my 52 hornet. You will be presently surprised as to how they are very comfy. Only thing I did different was use a schwinn drop stem to get them a tad lower. beep bike u got my vote

Thanks brother karfer!!!!! That means a lot coming from the only multi build off winner!!!! I'll try to do you proud.
Get yourself a computer so that we can see your wicked skills displayed on the pages of RRB again.

Funkme said:
Great blend going on the top half... are u going to rust em a lil,to blend with the rims n chain guard? :D

Thanks Miss Funk! I am putting off any fauxtina decision until I get a few more of the parts on there and see how everything plays together.

Smoopy's said:
oh, I thought you were painting all the parts to match.?.guess I missed that

Naw Smoops. I never planned to paint the frame or the chainguard. This build has been an evolution.

Started with this.
410C6D8E-ECA6-4668-9ECA-A1F28C6C932D-2907-000004BFFF989F30.jpg

WP_000998.jpg

tank1-2_zpsa60f14a5.jpg

Did some scrubbing and rubbin and discovered the frame was black and crème and the guard was red and crème.
aIMG_2096_zps6629c9c5.jpg

The mixed patina on the fenders just wasn't cutting it
WP_002206_zps4e7e7978.jpg

So I decided to paint the fenders.
WP_002265_zps73044403.jpg

Which led me to paint the tank as well.
WP_002335_zpsdb210a43.jpg

The frame original paint and patina, still plays VERY well with the painted pieces. I think the chainguard does too, but we'll see once I get more mounted. I do NOT plan to paint the guard. I MIGHT dirty up or fauxtina some of the painted parts. We'll see what happens next.

burrkrayecycles said:
awesome job on the paint
i love the flames they make the look even better
you outdone yourself on the paint man its fantastic
just the right amount of rat/custom nothing overdone
and the bars are sweet i actually have a pair of ramshorns i might have to use similar to that style
keep up the good work kingfish its coming along great
p.s. if you are ever in Nebraska let me know we can go riding if you're up to it there's lots of open land around here that's flat and perfect for cruising plus there's a cool shop a few blocks form me
that has some sweet bikes and parts i have been going to
its always more fun to cruise with ppl that are into bikes as much as i am my g/f doesn't understand i don't think lol but she accepts it
keep up the good work like i said its looking fantastic
Sean

Thanks buddy. I am glad that so many people are enjoying the way Firewing is turning out as much as I am. AND I'M HAVING FUN!!!!
Never been to Nebraska, but will look you up if I head that way. Cheers!

Latest posts

Back