Firewing 1953 Columbia 3 Star DeLuxe (2nd) - 3/15 TRADED

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: FireWing 53 Columbia 3 Star DeLuxe - First Brass Now Chrome?

man every post you make is just better and better who would have thought that bike wuold have cleaned up that well!

Troy

Pretty amazing as to what you have found under all the rust. Would be a cool rat build by just putting it back together with new tires, the skull and some graphics.

Your coming along !!! luvin the old patina,also the ole wheel set...
I like restoring the old ones,keeping them more original than pimped... :D
Keep those beers cold...

You just can't beat good original patina! That looks awesome!

nateyboy said:
I can't believe this is the same bike. I'm getting close to having trader's remorse. :lol:

Finders Keepers

410C6D8E-ECA6-4668-9ECA-A1F28C6C932D-2907-000004BFFF989F30.jpg

I am really pleased with what I am uncovering so far. It already had a pretty cool patina, but it was drab. Now it still has patina, but the original character of the bike shines through as well. I feel like an archaeologist uncovering a secret treasure. But I have to be honest, I am glad I only have the front fender left. My fingers and hand are sore from scrubbing every square inch multiple times with various products and steel wool, sponges, rags, and scotchbrite pads.
I AM TIRED OF CLEANING
I WANT TO START BUILDIN

When your finished scrubbin cinderella, feel free to come and do my house... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nothing beats a nice clean bike...

LOL, You've got "FireWing" mixed up with the "Drag Queen" build! I'm not putting on any crystal slippers.

Re: FireWing 53 Columbia 3 Star DeLuxe - Clean Mockups

Cleaning didn't help the front fender much. Really no plating left on it.

Started putting things together for a clean mockup. Wheel see if I stick with the chrome monark chainring and GT cranks. I'm not diggin chrome on here so much. Oh well, thats a decision for down the road. I did quickly realize once I put the chainguard on that I had completely forgot about it with a cool idea I had stolen, but bought some stuff to implement. I'm rambling again.

Here are the clean mocks
Testing the front old wheel for looks too.

NO SEAT

NANNER and Red Brick Schwinn Typhoon Tire

Spring Seat

If I use these old wheels, I really like the contrast that the Red Bricks provide. I think whitewalls or creme tires would get lost on these rims.
I also like how well the tires will work with the dark red accent color of the chainguard and other planned stuff.

Love the preservation approach! can't wait to see what you do next!

Thanks man. Looking at the photos, I don't think I like how different the two fenders look. I will have to do something to even them out a bit.

I am wondering if I paint them with the red Metalcast and then paint over it with the smoke Metalcast if I would end up with a dark red that would still show some patina underneath? That may be too shiny though.

Id age the back one to match the tank and front fender, then throw some black, white and brick red pinstripes on the fenders and tank

dragnusa said:
Id age the back one to match the tank and front fender, then throw some black, white and brick red pinstripes on the fenders and tank

You're right. The front fender matches the bike. It's the rear fender that is off now. Thanks man!
You already guessed the striping/graphics colors that I plan to use.

kingfish254 said:
LOL, You've got "FireWing" mixed up with the "Drag Queen" build! I'm not putting on any crystal slippers.
crack up !!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh wow !!! :shock:
She has cleaned up nicely.... Love the old rims for sure,and the reds would also go with chain guard...
.... i wish I lived in the ole usa,all those bikes n parts :? :eek:

Lowlife Lucas said:
I like what you done with those bars. :wink:

It was hard to bend them the same on both sides.

Funkme said:
Oh wow !!! :shock:
She has cleaned up nicely.... Love the old rims for sure,and the reds would also go with chain guard...
dang i wish I lived in the ole usa,all those bikes n parts :? :eek:

I really like like the patina on those rims. Not going to risk cleaning them, just clear coat and lace them up to different hubs. I would love to go with fat 24x3s but I like these rims too much.

Latest posts

Back