Firewing 1953 Columbia 3 Star DeLuxe (2nd) - 3/15 TRADED

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: FireWing 53 Columbia 3 Star-7/22LOGO Guard+Tank+Light+Nanner

I was started to get cross eyed with the different logo options. I thought I had decided on this one.

Then my wife walked in and I asked her for an opinion. She didn't like the F on the tank or the Firewing on the guard. So she put a large Firewing on the tank and nothing on the guard. I liked it and then added a small F on the light. Here is what I believe will be the final answer.

Also, I am liking the way the paint turned out so much, that I think I am going to drop the idea of painting feathers and flames on the tank and seat. I just think it will clutter it up too much. I don't think this will fit as well as I had thought. The clean lines of the paint along with the logo work nice together. I have plenty of flames in the skirts.
WP_002267_zps7ccb6054.jpg

Cool, cool. My opinion is the small firewing on the guard, small f on the tank and that's it.

Everyone likes the small Firewing on the guard and it just does nothing for me. I'll tape it on and mock it on the bike.

Played with the Firewing script a bit.

I would have voted with your wifes suggestions.
However nothing on your bikes is set in concrete if you put it somewhere and you really hate it later on you do have the technology to update it then.

As you just said about the clean lines and not going over the top adding the feathers and flames as well, you often simplify and end up looking great.
(however if you go nuts like the beer bike it also has a feel to suit just it to)

I like your wife's suggestion too.

But... had you thought of putting a cream "Firewing" on the tank like this...

2zyc290.jpg

Firewing looks good italicised, so I did one like that too...

2v9654g.jpg

:D

Glen said:
I like your wife's suggestion too.

But... had you thought of putting a cream "Firewing" on the tank like this...

2zyc290.jpg

Firewing looks good italicised, so I did one like that too...

2v9654g.jpg

:D

Glenn, I thought about putting it below the wing, but decided against it for a couple of reasons. That space just has a cool double curve and just doesn't look right in 3D with something on it. The second is that I will be making my own decals and I cannot print white.

So, I am still leaning towards this collection here but with the italicized Firewing
WP_002459_zps10731efa.jpg

Firewing_300ppiSlantedB_zps5f45a768.jpg

I'd thought that it looked better with the way you'd settled on before your wife's input, but I'm inclined to agree with her. I think just putting the script up on the tank (leaving the guard with only the Columbia logo) looks clean. Adding the "F" emblem to the seat and light ties it together, since its obviously the same font as the script. The smaller "F" on the light might overdo it, I'm not sure. You could argue it either way. I think once you print the decals without the white field backgrounds, so it's just the brown on tan, it'll look exactly like it should.

kingfish254 said:
Glenn, I thought about putting it below the wing, but decided against it for a couple of reasons. That space just has a cool double curve and just doesn't look right in 3D with something on it. The second is that I will be making my own decals and I cannot print white.

So, I am still leaning towards this collection here but with the italicized Firewing
WP_002459_zps10731efa.jpg

I am sure that whatever you decide will be spot on... after all, you are there, with the tins right in front of you and you can look at them upside down and sideways and while standing on your head with a squint in order to get the perfect placement for your satisfaction.

I think the collection you show here is great.

Carry on...

I truly do appreciate all of the suggestions and reviews from everyone!!!!! It's been a great help throughout the build!
It's awesome having multiple sets of eyes!! :D THANKS!

Re: FireWing 53 Columbia 3 Star-7/23 Good News and Bad News

The night started off well. I decided to use this combo of logos. You'll see why the F badge is so low later.

I took the parts out to the shop for some mockups. Before I put the front fender on, I couldn't remember if I ever greased the bearings. Nope, and I didn't clean them either. Sidetrack number one - soak bearings.

Loosely installed the chainguard as well as the Elgin skirt.

Went ahead and temp mounted the springer with no bearings, and loosely mounted the fender and light. The photos don't show it well, but I am pleased with the logo choices and locations.

Since I decided not to add the feather and flame details, I didn't feel that the tank and seat tied together very well. I taped up the nanner so that it will somewhat mimic the sweeping wings on the tank, guard, and light.

I also worked up a sheet that had all of the decals that I needed, printed them out in high res low speed, then sprayed the sheet with 3 coats of matter clear.

That's the good news.

The bad news is, I bought the only type of decal paper the art college art store had and it turns out it is the kind that keeps a white background unless you want to coat it with am oil based varnish. :x :cry: :!:

Gonna head over to Michael's tomorrow to see if they have the clear type decal paper.

We don't have any hobby shops left, so I went to 3 office supply stores and 4 art+crafts stores and discovered there is no clear decal paper in Savannah.
Luckily, I found it on Amazon and used my buddy's Prime account so, it should be here by Friday.

Skipton said:
Seat looks great!
As does the whole bike.

Thanks buddy!
Not much to report tonight. Painted some nuts+bolts and about head to Home Depot to get a few better sized nuts and bolts for some parts.

love the seat redoo your right it ties the seat/ tank/ etc. together perfectly

jats said:

Thanks, I pretty pleased with it. I still haven't forgotten the winged helmet. I plan to cut out some wings that are almost the same size and shape as the tank wings and paint them creme and velcro them to the side of my helmet. :mrgreen: :p

WP_002348_zps10dafd77.jpg

kingfish254 said:
jats said:

Thanks, I pretty pleased with it. I still haven't forgotten the winged helmet. I plan to cut out some wings that are almost the same size and shape as the tank wings and paint them creme and velcro them to the side of my helmet. :mrgreen: :p

WP_002348_zps10dafd77.jpg
:lol: 8) 8) 8) 8)

Back