First build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All,
I finally step up and purchased a prewar frame and fork, which I don’t know much about. I have posted pic’s that show the serial number and frame style I hope one of you can help me out? Also I would like to use the 3G 26” Coaster Wheel & BOA-G tire combo that is offered here on the website let me know your thoughts on this idea, I have a direction I’m going in but I could use some help on this in regards to the styling. Once again any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_0329_zps623c045a.jpg

IMG_0332_zpsdd79d385.jpg

IMG_0335_zps044110cb.jpg

A shovelhead...two welders and a pile of tubing....You could have built your own frame. :lol: :lol: :lol:
A build with that frame would be hard to mess up. Look at a few done around here and get a little direction
then start sticking parts on it. Good luck.
This is one way to go, but may not be your taste.
bestsofar001.jpg

Uncle Stretch,
I see you noticed my endless list of projects! I like the picture you posted I am going to use some idea’s from it and put my own Mex-Magic to my build. Do you have any idea what type of bike this is and is it more difficult to build as a skip chain or standard chain? I do have the tools to build my own frame and I hope to pick your brain when that build comes up, thank again for your input I hope to make some progress real soon.

It would be the same build wise. The parts are more expensive if you go skiptooth and then you
have an old chain to deal with. I think skiptooth chains are archaic , but lots of people here love
them.
Its hard to tell what make it is without a headbadge. Elgin, Mead and a few others made the same frame.
Maybe someone can tell from the serial number, its just not me.
Two welders and you should have the skills. Building scratch frames is lots of fun.
Here is another I use to have that is a little more traditionally built.
doneelgin008.jpg

Back