"Fix This" - FINALLY FINISHED 9/8 - New Pics

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Remember my "Fix This" Bike?? Check this out

Kreep said:
Nice,I love flying by roadies on this bike too.It too was pretty cut & dry putting it on,but my frame was already modified to except it.It never gets old seeing the jaws drop on the uppidy road bike guys when a lowered kustom cruises right by.good job,keep it up.
-Kreep-
DSC02180.jpg

Kreep,
I see two cables coming from the lever on the frame. One goes to a caliper brake on the rear wheel, but where does the other go? It seems to go to the rear hub, is there a drum brake there?

Must be fun to grab a handfull of brake in an emergency! Do you have more pics? Maybe one doing a powerslide? :eek: :eek:

Yea,its a roller brake hub,the darn thing goes to fast for one caliper brake.
-Kreep-

Kreep said:
-Kreep-

Wow.

kreep that bike is so cool. want it.

Kreep said:
-Kreep-

Haha I know where your coming from, I only have a front caliper brake at the moment, but since I wont go far from home with the nasty gumwall on front im fine for now.

Man. that is awesome.
how hard are they to get moving? theres 220lbs of me id have to get started

brucebruce said:
Man. that is awesome.
how hard are they to get moving? theres 220lbs of me id have to get started

It was a lot harder when it was a single speed, but honestly with a 5 speed its very simple for me to get going.

ratina said:
It was a lot harder when it was a single speed, but honestly with a 5 speed its very simple for me to get going.

Good enough for me... Now to find an exercise bike :)

Yep...the never-ending project continues!

These pics are from last August, some reason I never posted them.

1-23.jpg

2-10.jpg

3-9.jpg

Changed the bar tape to blue. Put a 26x1 1/4 wheel on front with a nice blackwall. Blue brake lever. Blue electrical tape "stripes" on frame/fork.

As of right now:
Its sitting right now with a 5 speed disc wheel on back that wont work because of the caliper not fitting the frame. No innertube in front as it was stolen for a bike I sold. I think I'm going to ditch the 5 speed as the chain fell off sometimes in the higher gears anyways. I'm thinking about putting a 3 speed internal hub on the rear (A 2 speed kickback would be ideal but no $$ for that right now) I'll probably put a tiny shifter up by the stem to keep it more streamlined. I also have a pair of fenders I might put on since the bike will be ridden to work this spring/summer.

I also found the original thread if anyones interested:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6645&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=fix+this

Some updated pictures if anyones interested in this build.

Ditched the 5 speed since the chain wouldnt stay on sometimes in low gear. Found a cool 2 speed freewheel and an aluminum Araya 27 x 1 1/4 rim for the rear. I have a 26 x 1 3/8 up front, (looking for new rim, see post in classifieds) for a more aggressive look. Fenders are 26" off a 69 Breeze, I think the black frame with the blue fenders is really sharp. Rear wheel and fender not mounted yet. And no I'm not that tall, I put the bike in the rack by the seatpost so it doesn't scratch the paint.

1-25.jpg

2-20.jpg

Wow, I didn't know these were so popular. I have two. they are fun to goof around with. My little brother had a 49cc honda spree. I had a '60's schwinn cruiser with full chrome fenders FAT U.S Royal Chain tires, a cool flame paint job and a 66 tooth excersise sprocket. We raced down the street about 1/4 mile. He got me on take off, I got him on top end and passed him about the 1/8 mile. :D Not sure of my MPH, but faster than a spree. I put another one on a 9 foot long chopper with 16 inch wheels and could ride over 25 mph on level ground.

Didn't mean to but in on your post, I just like these gears, and it was fun story.

bikebuilder said:
Wow, I didn't know these were so popular. I have two. they are fun to goof around with. My little brother had a 49cc honda spree. I had a '60's schwinn cruiser with full chrome fenders FAT U.S Royal Chain tires, a cool flame paint job and a 66 tooth excersise sprocket. We raced down the street about 1/4 mile. He got me on take off, I got him on top end and passed him about the 1/8 mile. :D Not sure of my MPH, but faster than a spree. I put another one on a 9 foot long chopper with 16 inch wheels and could ride over 25 mph on level ground.

Didn't mean to but in on your post, I just like these gears, and it was fun story.

Haha thats awesome. Do you have any pictures of your bike?

Sorry, but I just couldn't resist getting in on the fun. Has the same pedal cadence as a 26" bike.

summerratride013.jpg

Dang, I need to find one of those sprockets for my racer. Awesome!

ratina said:

I wish I did. I sold the bike, and the first thing they did was repaint it a nasty purpuleish red took the fenders off and put a small sprocket on it.

bikebuilder said:
ratina said:

I wish I did. I sold the bike, and the first thing they did was repaint it a nasty purpuleish red took the fenders off and put a small sprocket on it.

Thats horrible!

FINALLY DONE!!!

Also found the original post with the first part of the build pics: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6645&hilit=+FIX+THIS#p68022

I finally finished this bike, seems like its been forever. Its gone through so many changes. This time I added original paint and rust 69 Schwinn Breeze fenders, long SR stem, Raleigh Record handlebars with schwinn blue bar tape and chrome plugs (had to use 3 diet pepsi handlebar shims,very rare 8) ). I wanted to keep it sleek looking so I used the left shifter as the rear brake lever. Since the black with blue and red theme has become black with blue, I'm going to find a crappy old schwinn badge and repaint it with blue letters to match the rest of the bike. I also added blue chromies.

I added the fenders and bars to keep it vintage looking, everyone has bullhorns plus I am more likely to ride it if it looks old and unique. This thing HAULS!

For those that never saw the build, here are some specs:

1976 Schwinn Frame
1969 Schwinn Breeze fenders
Schwinn exercise sprocket - 66 tooth
2 speed rear cog
27" Araya rear rim with sunshine hub
26" front rim
27" Chrome fork from Miyata
Beefy 1 pc. crank and black metal petals
Sleek and uncomfortable racing seat
Left shifter is rear brake
Flipped the seat guts

I still want to find a skinny 26" aluminum rim for the front, otherwise its done.

fixthis1-1.jpg

fixthis2-1.jpg

fixthis3-1.jpg

Back