UNLIMITED Hackarosa

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The bike portion is ready to go.
26 Jul bike.jpg

I fit the inserts in the sidecar but didn't secure them yet. This will need a piece of wood for a floor.
27 Jul c.jpg

Then the little chrome caps for the open ends. They needed a lot of coaxing to get them to go in.

27 Jul b.jpg

The fork struts are in the shop downstairs with fresh silver paint. The gold didn't look right.
It all set to put together tomorrow or Monday depending on what is planned for tomorrow.

27 Jul a.jpg

Sexy Rat In A Cage!!!

I got in a little work tonight. The front brace needs to be repositioned, it leans out too much in the front. I'll drill new holes tomorrow.
The rear seems to be good and all the brakes are excellent.
28 Jul c.jpg

Looks really good! Have you tried it with a passenger yet?
I'll ride it tomorrow and see if I can get a volunteer to ride in the cage. I stood in it and it didn't bend under my 200lbs.

I reinstalled the front mount and used the outer hole from the previous setup to attach the cowbell. It went well on a test ride for just a moment.
29 Jul cowbell.jpg

The chainstay couldn't handle the stress and bent outward. I hit the brakes and eased off the bike before I crashed. I don't see any feasible way to fix the chainstay to make it hold the weight and stress. I was riding with no passenger also so any additional weight willl make it worse.
29 Jul chainstay.jpg

All is not lost. I can make it an actual chariot by repurposing it as a trailer. I need to make up another wheel to match and do some work on the frame to mount the wheel. Then just a hitch and it's off to the races!

The changes made to the bike are great. It has a better ride with the shorter fork and upgraded brakes. The lowered gear ratio helps too. The wife has her garage back as it was before I made it my second shop.
29 Jul garage.jpg

I reinstalled the front mount and used the outer hole from the previous setup to attach the cowbell. It went well on a test ride for just a moment.
View attachment 275361
The chainstay couldn't handle the stress and bent outward. I hit the brakes and eased off the bike before I crashed. I don't see any feasible way to fix the chainstay to make it hold the weight and stress. I was riding with no passenger also so any additional weight willl make it worse.
View attachment 275362
All is not lost. I can make it an actual chariot by repurposing it as a trailer. I need to make up another wheel to match and do some work on the frame to mount the wheel. Then just a hitch and it's off to the races!

The changes made to the bike are great. It has a better ride with the shorter fork and upgraded brakes. The lowered gear ratio helps too. The wife has her garage back as it was before I made it my second shop.
View attachment 275363
I love it. Great build. A pet would have a lot of fun in that side car. And what a grocery getter! 💪🏻

Ah man! I am super bummed about the breakage!
The bike looks awesome! I like your backup plan alot though. I can totally see that as a chariot trailer.
Lot of good takeaways from this build. It has been a blast to follow and it really came out nice.

I won't get the new rim laced up in time or have the new tire and tube either. The welder needs a few days notice so I'll have to ring out.
I went for a ride on the bike, first gear is too low, second is good for a low gear. Got the cowbell attached.

I went over and over sidecar geometry awhile back.
Sidecar tire probably needs a bit of toe in, it pulling the chain stay out was likely the result of toe out.
Maybe a piece of angle iron welded into the chain stay would strengthen that section where the hole was drilled...

I went over and over sidecar geometry awhile back.
Sidecar tire probably needs a bit of toe in, it pulling the chain stay out was likely the result of toe out.
Maybe a piece of angle iron welded into the chain stay would strengthen that section where the hole was drilled...
I used the tile floor to line up the wheels and had toe in. The chainstay was weak, only flatbar. Tubing or angle iron might have been strong enough. I think the chariot trailer will work out better.

The fat bike alone would be an excellent entry! That gold paint and lug work really put it over the top.

WC fat bike alone.jpg

The fat bike alone would be an excellent entry! That gold paint and lug work really put it over the top.

View attachment 275417
I like the way it turned out. But there were only minor changes to the previous build, Orange Crusher. The sidecar was needed.
24 Aug 23 - Copy.jpg

Back