hand lever coaster brake?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like this place because you can toss out ridiculous ideas and everyone tries to figure out how to make them work.
Other forums I'm on - especially one about trucks & campers, anything you bring up that isn't factory engineered or a ready-made bolt-on kit is a bad idea, dangerous, and/or indicates you need to go to the dealer and buy a new rig.
And those guys think we're the crazy ones...

I like this place because you can toss out ridiculous ideas and everyone tries to figure out how to make them work.
Other forums I'm on - especially one about trucks & campers, anything you bring up that isn't factory engineered or a ready-made bolt-on kit is a bad idea, dangerous, and/or indicates you need to go to the dealer and buy a new rig.
And those guys think we're the crazy ones...
To heck with all that, I'd rather build my own camper. That way it's designed the way I want it, not the way some corporate guy said it should be.

The uncreative are often mystified by the creative. Sometimes they figure we must be on drugs or or they label us crazy, sometimes they're right, but I'd rather be crazy than feel the emptiness of life without the muses in my ear.

Where I get into it with them is truck modifications. Suspension stuff, making more power, stretching my flatbed trailer tongue, etc. All things "it wasn't designed for".
Coaster brake hubs weren't designed to be operated by levers. Now you guys have me thinking about building a stick to operate my rear drum brake, just because it would be cooler!

The things production built is not best or only way. It's the most efficient for time materials and profit vs liability. But by no means would it be the best strongest or most effective.

It generally is left for some that have no understanding why it was built as it was and for what function... So best replace the mystical magic factory part.

Sorry for the thread derail, what were we talking about?
Oh yeah... some crazy idea about hand-operated coaster brakes...
Yea, it's crazy. But it's better than trying to convince my mom to buy me new shoes every two weeks because I've been using my foot on the rear tire to stop.

Like a jokey spoon brake! I love that. I'm writing a book about a crazy clown and that would be a great idea for a theme bike built for it. That should also be easier than the coaster brake with a hand lever.

Like a jokey spoon brake! I love that. I'm writing a book about a crazy clown and that would be a great idea for a theme bike built for it. That should also be easier than the coaster brake with a hand lever.
I have an old schwinn with a squeaky pedal that would be perfect for the character, it's been discussed in my circle.

OK, so what about a ratcheting leaver that would engage a rim brake to different tensions as the drag brake leaving he coaster free for now til we reinvent the hub.. and sure we will..

But modifying a center console e-brake seems like a very feasible and interesting alternative for a drag brake you could set an release.

No more glowing hubs as you try coast down the canyons...
Could find a small e-brake handle and ratchet mechanical from an early import possibly.
I just like ratchet action stuff, reminds me of a nice locar or b&m shifter...

Any way... I don't know that I am willing to let this concept go to bed yet.

Last edited:
"OK, so what about a ratcheting leaver that would engage a rim brake to different tensions as the drag brake leaving he coaster free for now til we reinvent the hub.. and sure we will.."

I had something like that on another build, the Boll Weevil. It was just a ratcheting shifter attached to a brake.
DSCI0184.JPG

I'm going to need to run things by wild before I post.. haha... That's awsome and exactly what I was implying. I hadn't considered a smaller leaver I was joking with Falstaff and this was the comical solution that popped up...

A ratcheting brake lever occurred to me as a mild antitheft device, locking the wheel. The handle would have been disguised as a frame pump. Didn't even think to mention it as a drag brake!

I'm going to need to run things by wild before I post.. haha... That's awsome and exactly what I was implying. I hadn't considered a smaller leaver I was joking with Falstaff and this was the comical solution that popped up...

That was made as a parking brake, no kickstand. Just lean it up against something and with one wheel locked, it'll stay standing. A longer handle, maybe a foot long with a little 8 ball knob would look good and could be used as a normal brake with that much leverage. With the little handle I couldn't get enough pull on it to stop.
s-l300.jpg

That was made as a parking brake, no kickstand. Just lean it up against something and with one wheel locked, it'll stay standing. A longer handle, maybe a foot long with a little 8 ball knob would look good and could be used as a normal brake with that much leverage. With the little handle I couldn't get enough pull on it to stop.
s-l300.jpg
Or a pistol grip.
9aa928e0592d62f1e9f37f011d6145c2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
How about making a heavy rear fender on a spring hinge (at the front bottom) with a handle to pull it down onto the tire, like those little kids scooters stop.
images

Latest posts

Back