have down 10 dollars on 125 dollar columbia ladys tank bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
benz said:
If you come to this site often, don't get to discouraged when you see some posts about finding your dream bike for free, or somebody grabbing a cool bike from a barn etc etc.
If that is your dream bike, then pull the trigger no matter the price, I mean it's your dream right. I can't tell you how many times I find a bike, (or h*** if I am honest a beer, movie, shirt , anything) that I just can't live without, and I strike a deal. I actually never think about deal in bad or good terms. I wanted it, chances are I paid for it.
Plus $125 for something that has been around for 50 years isn't bad, better than some mass production bike with no soul.Just my .02 About tools, got have those tools man, Look at your bikes parts and try to determine what you might need, some screwdrivers, wrenches, openends, a mallet, etc. Get some pb blaster, some chain oil, and be prepared to bust every bolt on that thing. :D good luck, and if you need help, ask! oh, almost forgot, the very first thing I do when I get a new project is buy a new set of tires and tubes. Helps me to know what my goal is, To ride.
Well said, very well said. The dude abides...........

as long as you dont take a saw or hammer to it, your not going to ruin anything the bike shop wont. some things mess up just because nature took its toll. that is metal! your not ruining anything and its somewhat cheap to build bikes.if you dont like it you can rebuild it again, and again , and again, and again. you can spraypaint it an make it look super nice. i would suggest you soak everything that should mmove in pb blaster. screws, bolts, etc. for a few days before you try to take it apart.just remember, if you get stuck, all it takes is patience, thought and question. the people of this site will help, or tell you where to get the help you need .good luck and post some progress pics!

You did good on that bike. I think it's a 40's vintage bike. Like everyone is saying. Soak all the moving parts and bolts in pb blaster for a couple days. And you should be fine. Take lot's of pictures and don't let anyone talk you out of the goal you have in mind for the bike. And most important have fun. If you feel you'reself getting discouraged with the project walk a way for a while and come back when you feel like it.I'm into the old prewar 1941 and older Elgin Colson And Shelby bicycles and have lot's of parts if you need something.

I guess I win the neigh sayer of the month award....ha ha! :lol:

Ignore everything I said...buy that sucka quick!

most likely the crank isnt frozen its probably the chain that is rusted tight. but I wouls still disassemble all bearings and grease
soak the chain good with pb blaster or an alternative my opinion is that pb blaster is the best but if you are doing it indoors or a garage where the smell might make an issue with other people I would use WD40 as it smells better.
then once you get the chain off put it in a coffee can or another bowl and soak it for a couple weeks and it should loosen up great
as for price I too think its high but if you love the bike it doesnt matter.
go for it and happy biking.
ask for any help in the how too section and I am sure you will get many responses as most everyone here is glad to help!

i dont want to paint it i like it rusty i love the old ratty patina on it and i think the little dent on fender gives it chacrecter i just want to get some new tires on it and get the rocket light on the front rewired and the tank horn rewired and get it rolling again and to custom it im going to add a antique wooden crate to bike rack so the first thing i will probably do is remove the chain and see if the crank spins if it does then im just going to add a new chain and grease the sprockets and get new tires and add some of that stuff that stops the rusting i saw something like that at wallmart im not sure what size tires i need though im not sure if these are 26 or 24 inch tires

It's hard to tell from the small photo, but since it looks like it's spent most of it's days outside, that rear hub is probably going to need attention.

Those rims look pretty rusty and that usually indicates that the hub may not spin or stop very well.

If you're not married to the wheel set it may be better to find a newer set in better shape for smoother riding and better stopping power.

Cool bike. Good luck on the crank. Usually people under 18 have a limited amount of freedom in regards to purchasing chemical products, such as WD-40. How old are you?

thanks for the websight i think i have been there before i can get the complete wheelset and the rubber tires to fit for a very good deal i figured the price with the bicycle included it with be around 214 dollars and some cents

BrigmasterA said:
Even if the crank spins, I'd take it apart and regrease it, especially on a bike that old. Just my opinion...
Good advice.

I've bought bikes half the age of this one and opened up the crank to find the original grease had hardened somewhat to thick gooey mess. As a rule now all bikes get disassembled and regreased when after purchase, although, arguably, I haven't bought any in a while. You would want to check it out the crank anyway in case the bearings or the cup is worn and needs replacement.

If it's your first bike to take apart, document what goes where and in what order. If you have a digital camera, use it. And just work on one area at a time. All that helps you to remember what goes where and in what particular order.

i really dont want to take the crank apart i bought a 20 inch banana bike on ebay once they shipped it all apart and i could not figured out how to put the crank back togther and some of the ball bearings fall out so i really dont want do any fixing to the crank on this bike

I have found that when your bike is rusty like that the bottom bracket bearings usually are to wasted to soke. I always got to my LBS and pick up a new bottom bracket set for like $6.00 to $10.00 and just greese them up and put them in, makes for alot smoother and reliable ride. Same with the forks. Just my 2cents :D

well.....i can tell you right now that that bike came with a 1" pitch chain(skip link) and a standard chain and cog from a newer bike wont work with the chain ring so youll have to swap that out and since you need to pull the cranks to do that anyhow you might as well clean,inspect,repack/replace the bearings,race and cups
heres a link with a pictorial how to( and you might as well take pictures of the disassembly process that way you can easily get it back together....also zip lock baggies with the parts labeled helps alot too)....
http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=150
http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=104
http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=127
another good site for walk throughs...
http://www.bunchobikes.com/repair2.htm
just scroll down on the left side for the list of how toos
and another one thats valuable...
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/

i hope i wont half to do that im going to try and save the chain or maybe use the old free spirit bikes chain i only have a budget of 220 dollars including the price of the bike

If the Columbia is a skiptooth, it has a different kind of chain than the free spirit. Skiptooth has a 1"pitch chain, newer bikes use a 1/2" pitch chain. A 1/2"pitch won't fit on a skiptooth sprocket. If you're going to be getting new wheels too, you're going to want to upgrade to a 1/2" driveline. Skiptooth stuff is hard to find and pricey. You're much better off just doing a little research and getting comfortable with dismantling and replacing the cranks. Its really not as hard as you think it is, and knowing how to do this stuff will save you a ton of money in the long run.

Back