Hog Boys Boardtracker (Ex-Villiers)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Villiers board tracker VIDEO!

OK.

I'm gonna review the post on wich you gave me all of those tips on the jackshaft.
I'll have to find european dealers to the stuff because of shipping fees.

I'll comeback to you in a sec.

Thanks a lot

stocksucks said:
OK Dowie.
I took a look at the stuff. Now I'll contact the dealers.
I'll have to maintain the cent clutch, right? It runs a 10 teeth sprocket. Is that adequate?
thanks again

Yes. You can still run the cent clutch. You will be very happy with the jackshaft. Here are some pictures from my board track racer as of last night. I just finished the primary chain idler and heat shield. DONE!

I'm running a 2.5hp 100cc, four stroke flathead. My 26" fat frank tires have the same cordial circumference of 84.388" per revolution. Therefore, my gear ratio will be very close to what yours should be.
BTB-rear-idler-view.jpg

BTB-primary-idler-view-1.jpg

stocksucks said:
It looks great.
Have you posted a video of it runnin somewhere?
you have a hotrod :shock: :( :cry:

No video yet of my board track racer. I've ridden it quite a bit this season though. I'll get some video footage this summer for sure. I have a 1931 Ford model A roadster with a flathead V8. I bought it back in 2005 and did a full mechanical restoration over three years.

Het there guys.
I'm sorry for the long absence but since yesterday I've become a father :D .
I'll comeback as soon as possible.
Keep rollin and good luck for the RRB's buildoff participants.

Congradz! Get ready for having no time to tool on your bike ;)

Congradulations pops! Re the bike, I'll have to go along with Dowie Sotango, your gear ratio is taller than optimal. Heck, that thing is running like it's still got the shroud and flapper on it. A too high gear may give you a little higher obtainable speed, but the right one will give you higher sustainable speed (and actual acceleration :p ).

Hey guys. I don't mean to hijack this thread, but you're already discussing something that I am curious about. You guys mention that his current gear ratio isn't the best given the size of his engine. But what about an engine producing more power? Would that allow you to gear it for a higher cruising speed, without sacrificing low end grunt? For my BTR I want to use a straight gear setup with no jackshaft. I will be using 28" tires, and an engine with a minimum of 8hp. I was thinking of a 10-tooth clutch gear and a 36-tooth rear gear. At 3500rpm my gear ratio calculator shows a speed in excess of 80mph (no load) which is WAAAY more than I would ever do. But will that size engine be able to get off the line without pedal power? Thanks in advance for any input. And I absolutely love your build stocksucks.. The bike looks and sounds fantastic :D

Edit: Congrats on becoming a dad!

Congratulations! My wife is due with our second little one tomorrow. Kids are a wonderful thing. I still work in my shop, but it's always after 8pm. (After the kid(s) go to bed) So you will still have time to wrench, just not as much time as you used to. Looking forward to future updates on your board track racer.

AKB said:
Hey guys. I don't mean to hijack this thread, but you're already discussing something that I am curious about. You guys mention that his current gear ratio isn't the best given the size of his engine. But what about an engine producing more power? Would that allow you to gear it for a higher cruising speed, without sacrificing low end grunt? For my BTR I want to use a straight gear setup with no jackshaft. I will be using 28" tires, and an engine with a minimum of 8hp. I was thinking of a 10-tooth clutch gear and a 36-tooth rear gear. At 3500rpm my gear ratio calculator shows a speed in excess of 80mph (no load) which is WAAAY more than I would ever do. But will that size engine be able to get off the line without pedal power? Thanks in advance for any input. And I absolutely love your build stocksucks.. The bike looks and sounds fantastic :D

Edit: Congrats on becoming a dad!

I would reccomend calculating your gear ratio for a top speed you actually want to go at 4,200 rpm. 35 - 40 mph is really fast on a bicycle. With an 8hp engine, you can achieve higher speeds, but I don't think that you want to go as fast as you're proposing. I would reccomend a standard rear sprocket of 44T or 46T. Back derive your other sprockets from there.

Unless you're running a two stroke motor, which your're not, a jackshaft is usually always required to hit the gear ratio required. This is primarily because the circumference of a 26" or 28" wheel is really large per revolution. Your gear ratio should be around 9:1 or 10:1. (Engine rpm to rear wheel rpm)

26" = 81.64 linear inches per rev
28" = 87.92 linear inches per rev

I appreciate the input. However, I find that what most of the board track replicas are lacking is the speed aspect. I am looking to do something a bit different. While I realize that this may still be based off of a bicycle, it will be built strong to be abused and will be registered as a motorcycle. The only thing I have to worry about is whether or not I will be brave enough to pilot it at a decent speed like they did in the good old days. That said, I would like this bike to be able to easily cruise at 45mph or so. Not that I will ever feel the need to go over that, but I hate the constant drone of an engine near redline. Anyways, I'm not trying to debate you in any way. I was just curious if the engine would be able to get off the line without issue at the gear ratio that I mentioned.

AKB said:
I appreciate the input. However, I find that what most of the board track replicas are lacking is the speed aspect. I am looking to do something a bit different. While I realize that this may still be based off of a bicycle, it will be built strong to be abused and will be registered as a motorcycle. The only thing I have to worry about is whether or not I will be brave enough to pilot it at a decent speed like they did in the good old days. That said, I would like this bike to be able to easily cruise at 45mph or so. Not that I will ever feel the need to go over that, but I hate the constant drone of an engine near redline. Anyways, I'm not trying to debate you in any way. I was just curious if the engine would be able to get off the line without issue at the gear ratio that I mentioned.

I think with an 8HP engine you could probably go as fast as you're proposing. I would calculate this as your top speed at 4,200 rpm, and back derive your other sprockets from there. Again, a 44 or 46 tooth sprocket is standard for a rear wheel.

I built a reverse trike using a 6.5HP (200 cc) four stroke engine. The total machine weighs 80 lbs with the motor. (Very light) I geared it to go 35mph top speed, and it has plenty of pull from a stop. My guess is that I could have geared it to go 40-45 mph if I wanted to.

Cool. Thanks for sharing the past build with me.

EDIT: Forgot to ask.. What did you have your trike geared at? And what was the tire size?

Hey there guys.
I hav'nt got a lot of time with the little girl, dippers, baths and all, but I managed to make some adjusters (?! spelling) as the chain jumped out of the rear 44 tooth sprocket at high revs:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Also I finally got the carburetor tuned properly and the engine got a new life, revin' up much faster and hittin 113 kmh (some 70mph) on the stand, that is unloaded.
New test run tomorrow.
I'll keep in touch as often as possible.

Ps - Dowie, the jackshaft issue isn't forgotten. I'll get back to it when I have the time. Meanwhile I contacted some of the suppliers you pointed out and I'll have to find new ones: Mcmastercarr doesn't work outside the US (so the employee told me) with few exceptions, and the shipment fees at gocartgalaxy are higher than the actual price of the parts...

I'll have to find EU suppliers. Maybe in the UK.
Thanks and keep rollin'

Chain jumping is kind of exciting when it's all over and you didn't die but realize that you could have, huh? Lol. Your adjusters should prevent it from happening again.

Yep...
The thing is that this way I can get the chain completely streched and then tighten the bolts. After watching your vid, I gotta get me a jackshaft kit to get more power from dead stop. Dang that is cool!

Back