TRADITIONAL Hops and Gnarly

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Patina Master Class. Professor TRM. Meets M - W - F 9am - 11am.
Unfortunately, Patina class has been canceled for the next few days.

I have very limited time left before next week's deadline. My wife and I are leaving shortly for a trip to Birmingham to visit with my kids, tomorrow I start my three days of work at the sign shop, tomorrow evening after work is the weekly Bible study, Friday I leave for Florida for a band gig at Ft. Walton Beach for two days, so that only leaves a few evenings this week and next week to finish up and get my photos. :43:

And of course, there is always the unexpected to expect. I got the first one today.

I've started putting everything together for the first time now that the paintwork is finished. Things were progressing along pretty well until I got to installing the chain. As I was rotating the chain around it revealed that the chain ring was very bent. Not even close.

IMG_7816.JPG

IMG_7817.JPG

So the drive train came back apart, and I was able to remove the chain ring from the crank (probably the first time ever) after a struggle.
I then proceeded to pound away on the steel work table with a nylon hammer and in the vice to get it back to close.

IMG_7819.JPG

Like truing a wheel, I ran a bolt through the middle and used a drill to spin it and mark the high spots. This was repeated several times until I got it close enough that it would lay flat on the table without teetering.

IMG_7821.JPG

I hadn't intended to clean any of the crank parts due to the time crunch, but I loaded up the parts to take to the sign shop tomorrow to clean up a little if I have any time to sneak it in.

Back