TRADITIONAL Hops and Gnarly

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Patina Master Class. Professor TRM. Meets M - W - F 9am - 11am.
Unfortunately, Patina class has been canceled for the next few days.

I have very limited time left before next week's deadline. My wife and I are leaving shortly for a trip to Birmingham to visit with my kids, tomorrow I start my three days of work at the sign shop, tomorrow evening after work is the weekly Bible study, Friday I leave for Florida for a band gig at Ft. Walton Beach for two days, so that only leaves a few evenings this week and next week to finish up and get my photos. :43:

And of course, there is always the unexpected to expect. I got the first one today.

I've started putting everything together for the first time now that the paintwork is finished. Things were progressing along pretty well until I got to installing the chain. As I was rotating the chain around it revealed that the chain ring was very bent. Not even close.

IMG_7816.JPG

IMG_7817.JPG

So the drive train came back apart, and I was able to remove the chain ring from the crank (probably the first time ever) after a struggle.
I then proceeded to pound away on the steel work table with a nylon hammer and in the vice to get it back to close.

IMG_7819.JPG

Like truing a wheel, I ran a bolt through the middle and used a drill to spin it and mark the high spots. This was repeated several times until I got it close enough that it would lay flat on the table without teetering.

IMG_7821.JPG

I hadn't intended to clean any of the crank parts due to the time crunch, but I loaded up the parts to take to the sign shop tomorrow to clean up a little if I have any time to sneak it in.

Great work with the improvised trueing stand.
Time is crunching down on us. Just keep plugging away and get it built in the breaks from life.

Back