TRADITIONAL Hops and Gnarly

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The fender braces were not only a total mess, but they were not the originals either. So I removed them and started searching for replacements.

IMG_7661.JPG

IMG_7665.JPG

Most fender braces are made to mount over the axle, but the Hoppy springer has separate mounting holes on the fork bottom plates. This means that the holes on the braces are smaller and round instead of oval. I went through all my loose fender braces and found only one with the proper mounting holes, but the length was wrong.

IMG_7784.JPG

At this point I started thinking about how to create what I need out of what I had, but I really didn't like the prospect of all the slicing and dicing that would be required.

Attachments

• IMG_7784.JPG
    IMG_7784.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
@Chad T , luck was on my side. I happened to notice a Schwinn middle weight fender in my stash that had the proper ends. Not only were the ends correct, but the length seemed about right too! I promptly removed them from the fender and did a quick mock-up with the fender and fork together and it worked (almost).

Everything checked out except the loop that goes under the fender was too short. Being from a middle weight fender, it wouldn't fit under the deep Rollfast fender. So the solution is simple, make the loop section longer!

To do this, I started by flattening the loop and cutting them in half.

IMG_7764.JPG

IMG_7765.JPG

All that is left is to fill in the gap!

IMG_7766.JPG

I calculated that it would need to be 1" longer. So I cut a 1" section from the center of both junk braces, media blasted everything clean and took them to Charlie (my cousin) and had him Tig weld them together.

IMG_7772.JPG

IMG_7773.JPG

After they were welded I used a disk sander to smooth them out and then bead blasted them again.

IMG_7776.JPG

The extended area was then bent in a loop again and I was on my way!

IMG_7778.JPG

Yes, having my cousin Charlie has been a big part of my life.

In my early childhood, my parents divorced and he was a father figure to me. I can remember him standing in as my dad in a 'Father and Son cake bake' competition when I was a young kid in Cub Scouts. We won the prize for Most Unusual!

I'm trying to remember a bicycle-related story to tell here but the only one that comes to mind has more to do with a motorcycle. One day he surprised me with a Yamaha 80 motorcycle when I was around 10 or 12 years old. I couldn't have been happier! We would load up and go trail riding in the next county along a pipeline and logging roads every chance we could. As I'm writing this the memories are flooding in!

Anyway, years later he told me the back story of why he bought that motorcycle. At the time he was living just down the street from where we lived. I had several friends in the neighborhood around my age and a few of them started riding motorcycles. Two twins even got brand-new matching Honda XR75's for Christmas and they would let me ride them sometimes. One day Charlie was outside and saw all of the kids ride past on their motorcycles along with me trailing behind pedaling my cobbled-together bicycle as fast as I could. It didn't take long for him to find and buy the Yamaha for me because it bothered him (probably more than it bothered me) seeing me racing after them that way.

He has played a part in most of the builds that I have done here at RRB through the years. Whenever I have needed any welding done, he has always been happy to help!

This is a picture of Charlie on the right chatting with someone at Unique Motorcars this past year. He worked there for many years welding together the chassis' for their Cobra kit cars. Unique Motorcars' fiberglass shop is also where I have all of my fiberglass bicycle parts made.

Charlie at Unique.JPG

Back