Huffy Cranbrook- replacing fork

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys,

I'm started to work on a huffy Cranbrook and I'm going to switch out the front forks. The handlebar stem is welded to the tube... Is there anyway to get the forks off the front without cutting the stem off? Or do I have to cut it and then re-weld it back on if I want to use that stem?

If your're referring to the Cranbrook that you posted pictures of in the "fresh finds" section, It doesn't look like the stem is welded to the fork at all. Those bikes have a standard quill stem that takes a 6 millimeter allen wrench to loosen it.If it doesn't break free after you have loosened it,Tap the allen head bolt down with a hammer,That should free it up. If you could post better photos of the area in question,It would help.
-Kreep-

If your're referring to the Cranbrook that you posted pictures of in the "fresh finds" section, It doesn't look like the stem is welded to the fork at all. Those bikes have a standard quill stem that takes a 6 millimeter allen wrench to loosen it.If it doesn't break free after you have loosened it,Tap the allen head bolt down with a hammer,That should free it up. If you could post better photos of the area in question,It would help.
-Kreep-

Hey, I did actually use an allen wrench to completely remove that from the top of the fork. I also loosened the screw at the base of the stem. do you think I maybe just need to use a little more force or a hammer to pull the fork off. This is the only picture I have right now of it but can take more from different angles tonight if it will help! I tried to post the pic last night but my phone was having issues attaching it. Let me know what you think! Thanks for your help!

43D4A2AF-6206-4358-BC65-629D8827ABC7_zpsewzqeypk.jpg

Yep,Just need more force. I suggest a rubber malet and hit the stem down. Also try puting the handle bars back in and tighten them up. Then you can use them as leverage to turn the stem side to side whilst pulling up. It's definetley not welded in place-just stuck. good luck
-Kreep-

Yep,Just need more force. I suggest a rubber malet and hit the stem down. Also try puting the handle bars back in and tighten them up. Then you can use them as leverage to turn the stem side to side whilst pulling up. It's definetley not welded in place-just stuck. good luck
-Kreep-

Great! That is what I was hoping to hear! I appreciate it!

Great! I will tighten everything back up first then get it out! Thanks again

Before you hit anything with a hammer, try this. Thread the stem bolt back into the stem and wedge a few turns(not all the way). Hit the stem bolt with a hammer to free up the wedge at the bottom. The wedges become stuck in place and need some help sometimes.

If you use that stem or another, lightly grease the wedge and stem before inserting into the fork to prevent this from happening again.

Before you hit anything with a hammer, try this. Thread the stem bolt back into the stem and wedge a few turns(not all the way). Hit the stem bolt with a hammer to free up the wedge at the bottom. The wedges become stuck in place and need some help sometimes.

If you use that stem or another, lightly grease the wedge and stem before inserting into the fork to prevent this from happening again.

I will do that! Thanks! and yes, I will be throwing some grease on it so it all moves a little more smoothly!

Got the stem out and the forks off!

Now, looks like the steering tube on the springer fork I was going to use is too short for this frame :banghead:

I guess it will just have to go on another bike! The bearings that I got with the springer were too big so I was just going to use the ones that were already on the bike.... But I think I'll just now paint everything and do some smaller things to get a better look!

image.jpg1_zpsruzimeol.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsvo3tfctk.jpg

image.jpg3_zpstwklzoca.jpg

I've trimmed down head tubes to fit a springer before. or you could measure the old tube and either cut and weld the extra length you need or order a new one the length you need

I would suggest you get a Glens Complete Bicycle Repair Manual. This was published in the 70s or 80s so it doesn't cover the new fancy road and mountain bike stuff. It has the easiest to follow instructions I have ever seen and has all the tricks the guys here offered. It covers pretty much everthing and is very well illustrated. I see them used for $5 all the time on the net. Here is Amazon site for a new one. Can't recommend this more highly for old bikes. I even built wheels from these instructions.
amazon.com/Glenns-Complete-Bicycle-Manual-Maintenance/dp/0517500930

Back