TRADITIONAL Schwindecisive

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's the one, the P100. I couldn't remember the model. Kept thinking P51 for some reason.
D-Day still on my mind and I'm tired too.
Haha, P51's for a different kind of protection! Hard to believe that it's been 80 years since that day. My grandparents were in preschool when that happened. It's so weird how WWII simultaneously feels like recent history and just... history to me. I have relatives who were alive when it happened, but it all still happened about 50 years before I was even born.
And yes, the mucous membranes of our eyes can be
an entry point for bad stuff like mold, bacteria, pathogens.
All the more reason to wear proper protection when stripping paint and powder coat, and when adding paint and powder coat.

Having a great stash of bike parts gives you a lot of optionality. However it has always been the case that a builder can only enter one build per class. Changing out parts make it a completely different build. For instance, just by changing out a fork, one frame can be three different builds. One being a chopper, one being a custom cruiser, and one being an extreme lowrider. This even came up back in BO9 with fordsnake's Enigma build. He had some awesome crazy apes and he wanted to show the bike in both a radical flipped mode and a more traditional upright mode. He had to chose between to two for his final presentation photo. The parts we use and how we use them totally change our builds into something different with each iteration. They may be the same frame, but each iteration is a different build.

I'm just wondering if it would be acceptable to show the flexibility of the bike farther down the finished thread? Like "this bike can easily be switched up like this to have a certain vibe for this weekend's group ride and this completely different vibe for next weekend's car show?" Just choose one "final" version for the voting?

Having a great stash of bike parts gives you a lot of optionality. However it has always been the case that a builder can only enter one build per class. Changing out parts make it a completely different build. For instance, just by changing out a fork, one frame can be three different builds. One being a chopper, one being a custom cruiser, and one being an extreme lowrider. This even came up back in BO9 with fordsnake's Enigma build. He had some awesome crazy apes and he wanted to show the bike in both a radical flipped mode and a more traditional upright mode. He had to chose between to two for his final presentation photo. The parts we use and how we use them totally change our builds into something different with each iteration. They may be the same frame, but each iteration is a different build.
Well, today I learned. If those are the rules, then I'll just have to work with them. It's just kind of frustrating that I'm only learning this now after I had already shared my idea a month ago and nobody seemed to have a problem with it then. If someone told me this when I first explained my idea, then I probably wouldn't have gotten as upset as I did. Still, I get it. Even just changing a set of handlebars can really alter the whole attitude of a bike. I also shouldn't be too surprised that someone else had the same idea as me long before I even joined the forum! 😅 I guess there really are no new ideas after all!
I'm just wondering if it would be acceptable to show the flexibility of the bike farther down the finished thread? Like "this bike can easily be switched up like this to have a certain vibe for this weekend's group ride and this completely different vibe for next weekend's car show?" Just choose one "final" version for the voting?
That's more than likely what I'll end up doing. I can use my favorite (or maybe everyone else's favorite) version of the bike for the final voting photo, but share all the other designs for it in the photos following the first one.

@Captain Awesome, sorry for getting frustrated at you earlier. I didn't know this had been an issue before, but I get why the rules are set up that way now. Let me ask this: would it be an issue if in my final voting picture I have the bike built one way (and one way only,) but I also have all or most of the alternate parts (tanks, fenders, chain guards etc.) laying down beside the bike or in the background? That way, I'm not showing 2 different versions of the bike in the same photo, but I'm still able to show how this bike is meant to be modular.

Well, today I learned. If those are the rules, then I'll just have to work with them. It's just kind of frustrating that I'm only learning this now after I had already shared my idea a month ago and nobody seemed to have a problem with it then. If someone told me this when I first explained my idea, then I probably wouldn't have gotten as upset as I did. Still, I get it. Even just changing a set of handlebars can really alter the whole attitude of a bike. I also shouldn't be too surprised that someone else had the same idea as me long before I even joined the forum! 😅 I guess there really are no new ideas after all!

That's more than likely what I'll end up doing. I can use my favorite (or maybe everyone else's favorite) version of the bike for the final voting photo, but share all the other designs for it in the photos following the first one.

@Captain Awesome, sorry for getting frustrated at you earlier. I didn't know this had been an issue before, but I get why the rules are set up that way now. Let me ask this: would it be an issue if in my final voting picture I have the bike built one way (and one way only,) but I also have all or most of the alternate parts (tanks, fenders, chain guards etc.) laying down beside the bike or in the background? That way, I'm not showing 2 different versions of the bike in the same photo, but I'm still able to show how this bike is meant to be modular.
Backdrop (setting) is up to you as long as the focus is your lone bike entry

Let me ask this: would it be an issue if in my final voting picture I have the bike built one way (and one way only,) but I also have all or most of the alternate parts (tanks, fenders, chain guards etc.) laying down beside the bike or in the background? That way, I'm not showing 2 different versions of the bike in the same photo, but I'm still able to show how this bike is meant to be modular.
I think your final entry photo with the modular options shown is a great idea/solution. Kind of like a boxed action figure shows all the optional parts and equipment that can be used to accessorize.
BD1080-2.jpg

I think your final entry photo with the modular options shown is a great idea/solution. Kind of like a boxed action figure shows all the optional parts and equipment that can be used to accessorize.
View attachment 269511
That’s a good analogy

Now if there were 2 figures in one box we would be having a different conversation

Backdrop (setting) is up to you as long as the focus is your lone bike entry
Alright, thanks. I can work with that.
View attachment 269511
As someone who used to collect action figures, that's a great way to put it! You're kind of giving me ideas for how to present the final photo now...
That’s a good analogy

Now if there were 2 figures in one box we would be having a different conversation
Aw come on, who doesn't love a good 2-pack? 🤣

As someone who used to collect action figures, that's a great way to put it! You're kind of giving me ideas for how to present the final photo now...
I still have probably close to 100 or so 12" military action figures, vintage and modern. Most are boxed and in storage but I have about a dozen Navy figures on display.

I still have probably close to 100 or so 12" military action figures, vintage and modern. Most are boxed and in storage but I have about a dozen Navy figures on display.
I mostly just collected Transformers and a few other figures from cartoons I watched as a kid/teenager. These days I mostly collect bikes, bike parts, and Lego car sets.

Been a little slow to post updates, so now it's time to pick up the slack.

I'm still playing around with all the possibilities for this Schwinn in Photoshop, and honestly, it's going to make it that much harder to pick one final design for the finished thread. Going bare metal on this bike means there's a near-limitless potential for designs and colors! I won't show every design I came up with over the past few weeks, but I will show a few of my favorites. Some are based around parts and paint I have on hand, while others aren't.

Saw some brown tires with cream sidewalls on eBay, and I thought they'd be a nice alternative to having brown wheels and cream tires.
BftD_Schwindecisive_photoshop_28.jpg

I also played around with ideas using some sage green spray paint I have.
BftD_Schwindecisive_photoshop_29.jpg
BftD_Schwindecisive_photoshop_30.jpg
BftD_Schwindecisive_photoshop_31.jpg

One of my favorite colors is lime green, which I think looks great with black and bare metal.
BftD_Schwindecisive_photoshop_26.jpg

One of my other favorite colors is blue, so I think mixing lime green, blue, black and bare metal together would make a great look, especially if I went for a splatter paint job! I have a blue seat that could work with this design, and I've seen black tires with blue sidewalls online that would be ideal for this kind of design.
BftD_Schwindecisive_photoshop_27.jpg

This color combo is based off a thrift store shelf I got that someone painted with a splatter effect. I liked the colors and effect so much I figured it'd look nice on this bike, especially when I want a literal splash of color.
BftD_Schwindecisive_photoshop_32.jpg

The cake is a lie.
BftD_Schwindecisive_photoshop_33.jpg

More splatter paint job experiments.
BftD_Schwindecisive_photoshop_34.jpg
BftD_Schwindecisive_photoshop_35.jpg

This design would make use of some purple spray paint I have on hand.
BftD_Schwindecisive_photoshop_36.jpg

Some ideas for color-matching the mint/aqua-colored wheels I have.
BftD_Schwindecisive_photoshop_37.jpg
BftD_Schwindecisive_photoshop_38.jpg

I still have more ideas I want to explore for this bike, but I need to start with one first.

I haven't just been playing around in Photoshop though.

Just this week, I've been shopping for more tools and supplies to get this bike done. I've picked up a few new brass wire wheels and brushes, a couple cans of spray paint, and a respirator that's good for everything from sandblasting to spray painting.
BftD_Schwindecisive_dis_fork_1.jpg

I just dropped off everything I need over at my dad's shop yesterday, and I even went ahead and disassembled the bike while I was there.
BftD_Schwindecisive_dis_fork_2.jpg
BftD_Schwindecisive_dis_fork_3.jpg

This is the last time this frame will be orange, at least while I own it.
BftD_Schwindecisive_dis_fork_4.jpg

One thing I tried to do yesterday was remove the damaged fork bolt with Dad's help. Unfortunately, the bolt sheared at an angle, so there was no way to drill and tap it without the drill bit wandering all over the place.
BftD_Schwindecisive_dis_fork_5.jpg
BftD_Schwindecisive_dis_fork_6.jpg

I also pulled the old fork out of storage yesterday to grab the fender bolt and washer to hopefully use on this new fork.
BftD_Schwindecisive_dis_fork_7.jpg

The good news is that Dad and I have a plan to get that stuck broken bolt out of the fork: Dremel the end a bit until it's concave, then drill and tap it.
The bad news is that while we found Dad's Dremel bits, we could not find the Dremel tool itself. So we'll just have to use a cordless drill to Dremel out a bit of the bolt.

My plan for today is to get the fork bolt fixed, then to start sandblasting, wire-brushing, and clear coating parts. I'm not going to try and force myself to get everything sandblasted, brushed and cleared today, as I have no idea how long that will actually take. If I can get at least one part done today, then that's good enough for me. I might also play around with my hammer and dolly kit to smooth out some dents and dings on some fenders and chain guards while waiting for the sandblaster to build up air pressure. I know I'll have plenty of opportunities to do so!

There's also something else I'm working on in the background that's preventing me from updating this thread more often: I have got to sort through thousands of files on my 2TB external hard drives to free up enough space for more progress photos of this Schwinn. I know I'll have to buy 2 more external hard drives at some point, but if I can avoid spending over $100 by freeing up space on the drives I have now, then that's what I'd like to do. So updates may continue to come a bit slower and later than I'd like. Hopefully I'll have a new update ready to share tonight!

Well, I've hit a snag. I was able to Dremel the bolt enough to center the drill bit, but none of the bits we have have enough bite to cut through it. I was able to get into the bolt a little with a real thin drill bit, but it reached a stopping point and I can't seem to get past it. This bolt is almost more solid than the bits I'm using to cut through it.

Does anyone here know what I can do to drill this bolt out of the fork?

Well, it took a lot of trial and a bit more error, but I got that bolt drilled out of the fork! I tried using cobalt drill bits at first when I couldn't spot the made-for-metal carbide ones at Ace Hardware that my buddy @billn suggested, but after that failed, I went back, returned the bits and got a pair of actual carbide drill bits. They didn't have the 13/64 size I needed in carbide, but I think 3/16 is close enough.
20240615_190221.jpg

The smaller drill bit was able to help get me started, but the 3/16 bit did all the heavy work. It took a while, but eventually I got a new hole drilled into the fork!
20240615_194419.jpg

Unfortunately, I did not see @Wayne's comment about going slow and using cutting oil until after I finished drilling the fork. Instead of going slow and using cutting oil (that I don't know whether Dad has at the shop or not) I went fast and dry, resulting in the drill bit's tip snapping off the moment I broke on through to the other side.
20240615_194151.jpg

But hey, at least I'm that much closer to rethreading a new bolt into the fork!

Anyone know how to sharpen a snapped drill bit? I bet I'll want to use this one again sometime soon.

Been a little slow to post updates, so now it's time to pick up the slack.

I'm still playing around with all the possibilities for this Schwinn in Photoshop, and honestly, it's going to make it that much harder to pick one final design for the finished thread. Going bare metal on this bike means there's a near-limitless potential for designs and colors! I won't show every design I came up with over the past few weeks, but I will show a few of my favorites. Some are based around parts and paint I have on hand, while others aren't.

Saw some brown tires with cream sidewalls on eBay, and I thought they'd be a nice alternative to having brown wheels and cream tires.
View attachment 269626

I also played around with ideas using some sage green spray paint I have.
View attachment 269627View attachment 269628View attachment 269629

One of my favorite colors is lime green, which I think looks great with black and bare metal.
View attachment 269624

One of my other favorite colors is blue, so I think mixing lime green, blue, black and bare metal together would make a great look, especially if I went for a splatter paint job! I have a blue seat that could work with this design, and I've seen black tires with blue sidewalls online that would be ideal for this kind of design.
View attachment 269625

This color combo is based off a thrift store shelf I got that someone painted with a splatter effect. I liked the colors and effect so much I figured it'd look nice on this bike, especially when I want a literal splash of color.
View attachment 269630

The cake is a lie.
View attachment 269631

More splatter paint job experiments.
View attachment 269632View attachment 269633

This design would make use of some purple spray paint I have on hand.
View attachment 269634

Some ideas for color-matching the mint/aqua-colored wheels I have.
View attachment 269635View attachment 269636

I still have more ideas I want to explore for this bike, but I need to start with one first.

I love so many of your concepts.

This is a great color combo to highlight the bare metal frame. I really dig this as is.

Screenshot_20240615-211305_Samsung Internet.jpg

Love the bobbed, single fender on this one. Color combo and splatter style are amazing. Would like to see how it looks with both rims green, though I really like it as is.

Screenshot_20240615-211347_Samsung Internet.jpg

All the same praise for this version, though I think you should commit to the pink with both rims, or do the rims both green, and let the pink seat highlight the pink splatter. This color combo is a personal favorite.

Screenshot_20240615-211221_Samsung Internet.jpg

Love both of these, and would add the bobbed rear fender to the green version.

Screenshot_20240615-211415_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20240615-211453_Samsung Internet.jpg

Anyone know how to sharpen a snapped drill bit? I bet I'll want to use this one again sometime soon.
Carbide "Tipped" No carbide left on a broken bit. They do sell carbide drill bits that are all solid carbide, not that one. To answer your question, to sharpen carbide you need soft, smooth cut, grinding wheel, (usually green, not gray). Cool the bit with with a cup of water every double pass. One flank then the other. Keep the angle at 59 degrees. Leading edge taller than the trailing edge. An art by hand. Easy with a holding tool.

Drill bits are sometimes sacrificial tools.

I love so many of your concepts.

This is a great color combo to highlight the bare metal frame. I really dig this as is.

View attachment 269724
Thanks! I was surprised by how much I loved the color combo myself!

Love the bobbed, single fender on this one. Color combo and splatter style are amazing. Would like to see how it looks with both rims green, though I really like it as is.

View attachment 269725

All the same praise for this version, though I think you should commit to the pink with both rims, or do the rims both green, and let the pink seat highlight the pink splatter. This color combo is a personal favorite.

View attachment 269728
Thank you! The reason I went with 2 different colored wheels for these designs was to highlight the orange/green paint at the front of the tank and chain guard, and the green/pink at the rear of both parts. It was basically a stylistic choice. That said, if I can get a hold of 2 orange wheels and 2 green wheels (I already have 2 pink wheels,) then I can easily put one of each color or 2 of the same color on whenever I like. I can mock up the same-color wheels in Photoshop to see how they look. I definitely like the pink, green and white design too!

I still need to learn how to do a splatter paint job. The designs I came up with are more of a half splatter, half dripping sort of paint job, so I need to find out what the best way is to get that effect.

Love both of these, and would add the bobbed rear fender to the green version.

View attachment 269726View attachment 269727
Thanks! I agree, the bobbed fender would look good with just about every design I came up with so far.

Back