I love it when......

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
you call someone who has an ad on craiglist for a bike & they have no idea of what they want for it & finally I ask "do you want $50 or $100 for it" & they say that they are thinking of more like $300. When it's really worth about $50.

Dude don't even get me started...
What you just expressed has become a theme lately....
Just the other night on the telephone it was:
Me: "So what are you looking to get out of this bike?
Him: "Well make me an offer."
Me: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: "Is this a $50 bicycle in your opinion, or a $100 bicycle??? Where are we at?" :?: :?: :?:
Him: Well the closest thing I could compare it to on Ebay last week was going for $3,000 but that was a fully restored version blah blah blah blah blah....."
(For clarification a fully restored version of that particular bike MIGHT be a $400 bike)
Me: ...crickets...crickets....crickets.

I'm not even sure if I said anything or if I just hung up the phone.

Tailwinds said:
Dude don't even get me started...
What you just expressed has become a theme lately....
Just the other night on the telephone it was:
Me: "So what are you looking to get out of this bike?
Him: "Well make me an offer."
Me: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: "Is this a $50 bicycle in your opinion, or a $100 bicycle??? Where are we at?" :?: :?: :?:
Him: Well the closest thing I could compare it to on Ebay last week was going for $3,000 but that was a fully restored version blah blah blah blah blah....."
(For clarification a fully restored version of that particular bike MIGHT be a $400 bike)
Me: ...crickets...crickets....crickets.

I'm not even sure if I said anything or if I just hung up the phone.
LOL!!!!!!!!!!

Tailwinds said:
rusty513 said:
LOL!!!!!!!!!!

Frankly I don't know whether to laugh about it or be disgusted.
I guess the really sad moral of the story is that this has become very much the trend of late. (but we all know why)

Yep, its all because of ebay and shows like american pickers. Luckily there isn't a Barret Jackson for bikes else we'd really be screwed.

I always say if it's not in Barret Jackson condition, you're not getting a Barret Jackson price. I've seen people on C-list claiming to have a Vintage, Rare, Mint condition, Schwinn from the 1950's and have a nice rusty Murry bike from the '80's with flat tires, ripped seat, fenders missing or bent, no lights, forks on backward, bent wheels, and then they ask $1500 for it. :lol:

Then it's amusing to see how many times they post it. There is one guy on our local C-list that has a bunch of '80's ten speeds that look great but at prices like $400+. Nothing against the guy cause he's probably got some time and money in them but nobody's that crazy about '80's ten speeds. They've been on there for 2 years that I know of! Re-posted every week.

Then it's amusing to see how many times they post it. There is one guy on our local C-list that has a bunch of '80's ten speeds that look great but at prices like $400+. Nothing against the guy cause he's probably got some time and money in them but nobody's that crazy about '80's ten speeds. They've been on there for 2 years that I know of! Re-posted every week.

it sounds like his cousin is here trying to sell the same '80s 10 speeds. But this guy's bikes have been standing outside for months. He wants a mint for them. They've been reposted on CL so many times and nobody is going to spend what he's asking for his "vintage" gems.

Spokeshave said:
Geez,that's bad even by New York standards.
Yeah they all been on there for about 2 years, I've sold probably 30 bikes in the last 2 years that are comparable anywhere from $50-$150

I just don't understand those guys. Who want's it hanging around for two years? Take less and get it out of your way.

That fuji american would go really fast around here even for like 200. Its a nice bike and apparently those giemppe components are "exotic" to some..

I see this on CL too. I think it is mainly ebay causing it. I have seen on pickers, they walk past things I would try to buy but, they do haggle and try to get it less. Plus, they know what stuff is worth and know what is an outlandish price. My way of thinking is that if it sets long enough on craigslist, maybe they will get a hint that the price is too high. Plus, on the other hand, though coming across good deals may be harder for us, it will make our current collection more valuable maybe. I have seen the same trend with vintage motorcycles and it is why I left that hobby. I tend to hold on to more than sell anyway but, for those who rely on selling bikes for extra money, as I may do as well, it is hurting us. I always feel like, there are still probably bikes out there in old barns and wherever that nobody knows about. And maybe I will stumble upon them myself. I guess that keeps me going. It is sad to see these morons thinking they have " gens " when they really don't.

Yeah, I am amazed at what kinds of bikes I find at the scrapyard. And it feels good to rescue them from certain death. And paying scrap price doesn't hurt either! In just one day I found a 1954 Schwinn Wasp, a 1958 Schwinn American, and a 1950's Hawthorne twin top tube. Not to mention some of the others I've found over the years. I always try to get down there at least twice a week.

Craigslist here is flooded with junk bikes for $100+. Bikes that are missing their most important components are being listed for more than you can get a similar model at a big box store.

I list bikes for $30 and under most of the time. I am realistic with my listings and it usually pays off.

I normally only list good bikes like Schwinn, $50-$150 depending on rarity and condition. Anything else normally gets parted out and scraped or sold in the summer months at my yard sales or even given away and traded.

Back