TRADITIONAL In the “Nick of Time Procrastination Maggot”

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hand painted a small cycling figurine with Testors paint two days ago in my non-air-conditioned man cave/hobby area. Still waiting for it to not be tacky.

Hate to hear about your paint issues. It's strange because humidity down here in Savannah is just a constant thing you sorta get used to. It somewhat affects my paint dry times, but I've never had it take days to dry. Hope it cures for you soon.

Hate to hear about your paint issues. It's strange because humidity down here in Savannah is just a constant thing you sorta get used to. It somewhat affects my paint dry times, but I've never had it take days to dry. Hope it cures for you soon.
All the base coats were years old, partially empty cans. The last under coat was 30 year old Duplicolor. I used 4 different blue colors. The final blue is not very tacky this morning. I’ll let it sit in my truck cab one more day. It’s going to touch 80 today and in my truck it might get to 120. I’m not waiting any longer than that. It rained all night and it’s sunny so it’s humid.

Super cool bike. I love the quirkiness of the old English bikes. Makes things challenging!

Is that a fence built out of old bike frames?
Yup, bike frame fence. It’s a stash for parts. I cut off what I need and weld it up.

Yeah, it's a hot one this summer, that's for sure. Nothing outside of a paint booth
or a drying oven is going to help in this weather. Sometimes a good spot under
a roof with full sun will do it.
I pulled the frame out of my truck cab sun oven this morning and it’s still a little tacky, smells of paint but I’m going to start putting it together.

Subassembly’s are coming together.
IMG_0557.jpeg
IMG_0558.jpeg
IMG_0559.jpeg

Ersatz BSA fork lock I installed using an old photo equipment knob I found in my junk. I was looking for other parts when I stumbled across it. From what I found on the net these were not very good. All a thief had to do was loosen the thumb nut and ride away. The owner usually forgot to loosen it and had to stop. I couldn’t find much information on them. I always though these knobs were steering dampers but now I think they were a primitive theft deturant.
IMG_0579.jpeg
IMG_0567.jpeg

Back