TRADITIONAL Iron & Oxygen

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a series of tests.
IMG20240627134216.jpg

1939 Fender with 11t S2
IMG20240627135343.jpg

In a compromise to cutting anything on the fender, I drilled a 2nd mounting hole for the seat stays mount position allowing the fender to rotate about a half to three quarters of an inch
IMG20240627135819.jpg

A little nicer fit where it meets the guard.
IMG20240627140710.jpg

IMG20240627140741.jpg

Seems like a better fit.

Attachments

• IMG20240627140753.jpg
    IMG20240627140753.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 0
Ah, I bet if you did some measurement on your frame and the donor 41 frame, you would find that where the tire/fender crosses the seatstays is a good bit higher relative to chainstay crossing point. Your choice is to not use the 41 fender or make new seatstay indents that match your frame geometry. Or use another fender that matches your frame geometry better.

Here's a series of tests.
View attachment 271135
1939 Fender with 11t S2
View attachment 271136
In a compromise to cutting anything on the fender, I drilled a 2nd mounting hole for the seat stays mount position allowing the fender to rotate about a half to three quarters of an inch
View attachment 271137
A little nicer fit where it meets the guard.View attachment 271141
View attachment 271142
Seems like a better fit.

You can give yourself the extra shift/shim (for spacing) by putting rubber washers between the fender and each mounting point. It will give you the ability to loosen the mounting screws a touch and give you the flex without bending the fender.

Seat stay- rubber washer(s)-fender.

Lower bracket- rubber washer(s)-fender.

You can put a metal washer on top of the rubber one (between mount and rubber) if you want to protect the rubber washers from friction wear at the mounting point.

You can give yourself the extra shift/shim (for spacing) by putting rubber washers between the fender and each mounting point. It will give you the ability to loosen the mounting screws a touch and give you the flex without bending the fender.

Seat stay- rubber washer(s)-fender.

Lower bracket- rubber washer(s)-fender.

You can put a metal washer on top of the rubber one (between mount and rubber) if you want to protect the rubber washers from friction wear at the mounting point.
Great ideas to try. Thanks.

Looks like you are dialing it in more and more. If the longer braces don't quite get you there, then you could extend the seatstay dimples a little more here and drill another crosspiece hole.

1719516878277.png

If you fitted a 1/4" or 1/2" spacer on the the lower front mount, how much would that rotate the mudguard?

I like GeePig's idea. As KF mentioned, you are getting really close to the desired look. I have used nylon tube spacers a number of times on builds to make the front of a fender conform to the tire / wheel combo. Especially when I have added a larger tire that required me to move it back in the rear dropout.

It has a hole down the middle, and you can get them in 1" lengths, then cut to your specs. I've found them in a white or cream color, and black. Different bore diameters as well. I usually haul my mounting hardware with me to the store and test fit in Aisle 24. :nod: :bigsmile:

tube spacers.jpg

I'm going to call today a success!
I need to tweak the hub just a tad, but let me tell you, if you have old knees a 24t chainring paired with an 11t rear sprocket is a pretty unbelievable joy to ride!
IMG20240628161008.jpg
IMG20240628161020.jpg
IMG20240628161031.jpg
IMG20240628161052.jpg

As always, a special thanks to my bike buddy Dyno Dan who tore that wheel back down so fast it'd make your head spin.

Last edited:
Nice work. That wheel seems to fit well and centered all around within the fenderwell now.

Back