Issue with Bendix Red Band Kickback: Sprocket is slipping!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi,

I´ve got an issue with my 2speed Bendix. When I crank, its often so that the sprocket moves without that the Hub moves with. Moreover by uphill or by starting, other says, moreover when I give some strentgh. I did regrease the hub, and didn´t notice any broken pieces (but I´m far from an expert in Hub). Hub is pretty tight.

Otherwise, brake and speed works fine...

Any idea?

Thanks!

I'm not exactly sure what you are saying.:39: When you pedal foward, the hub is slipping?

If it slips, you should look at these things:
1) sprocket may have worked loose from driver. It is just pressed on.
2) Low-speed retarder spring is worn out.
3) Bearing surfaces on high speed or low speed drivers worn out.
4) Low speed clutch or hub shell worn out.

I have parts for the red band 2 speed. If you locate the problem I may be able to supply you a part. Gary

Yes Its slipping. If you look at the schematics, its like half of the time, part Nr18 would have no grip with the rest of the part.
bendixredband.jpg

So, I took it apart one more time yesterday with a friend. Bearings seems still in good shape, we´ve seen worst for sure. But I got the feeling that the inside of the hub shell is worn out. i mean, I can feel with my finger that its no more straight in the middle. Or is it normal? Other problem was that we were not able to take the nut lock out, as we didn´t have the tool. I´ve seen of a site that Hub axle should have 1 1/8" out (brake arm side). On mine it´s hardly 1". I could not figure out if its a problem or not.
We thought also that hub is a little bit too loose, but if we get it more tight, it doesnt roll anymore...

Sprocket is still slipping

The gear is not slipping on the drive screw, is it? I can supply you some parts if you want to start replacing stuff. I'd sell you a hub shell with fair chrome for $5 plus shipping. Gary

Thanks, great price. I got to see. I dont know if gear is slipping on the drive screw. I allways check when all part are in the shell, with chain on it. I should test it out of the shell but Í´m not sure that I´ll see something.
The shell should be straight on the inside? I´m pretty sure that both clutch have worned it out, because there´s about 2 millimeters more in the shell between the two clutch. Or is it normal?

I'm not sure about the 2mm. I can sell you both clutches (parts #12 and #14 in drawing) and a hub shell for $15 plus shipping if you would like to try that. It might fix your problem but I'm not positive. Gary

The way that #11 & #13 are on the table,they are in reverse order.Spring #13 with the hooked tabs wrap around and hold #12.The teeth on #12 face the disc pak.Its possible to put it facing the other way.The assembly freely slides in spring #11 with the straight tabs.Do you know about #17 ?

#17 is the indexing spring. Fragile part. If the tabs break off, it's toast. It is possible to put the spring on backwards...and it won't shift of course. Make sure you have it on the right way and only lubricate it with light oil. No grease. The indexing spring would not effect the slipping problem you are having. Gary

The picture is not from me. it was just attached with the schematics.
I´m thinking about making picture or video from the parts and the Hub out of the shell. Maybe It could help. Gary, I´m keeping your offer in mind. ;)

I know that this is an old discussion, but how did you get this resolved? I am having the same problem with slipping that you describe and wonder the same thing about whether my hub is worn out. The inside face of my hub where the clutches engage has the same pattern that you describe. Not sure if this is by design or if the hub is just worn out. Buy clutches or a hub body? Any advice you might have would be great. Thanks in advance.

Most shells are not straight throughout. The taper allows for better brake control instead of just locking at a dead stop. It will allow you to more easily gradually slow the bike but still allowing for quick stops if you jam it.

My first recommendation when I hear this problem is the tips of the drive gear. When you brake, it shoves the clutch inward. To pull it outward again and engage the drive, you're relying on the tips of the teeth on the gear. They're susceptible to wear. The kickback is unique because it has two drive gears. It may happen half the time because of the two speeds; one gear may have chipped teeth tips and the other gear does not.

Thanks for the info. Really appreciated. I'll check the tips of the drive gears when I dive in again this weekend.

I compared the teeth on my high (AB-23) and low (AB-3) clutches with a friends and mine are worn down a bit. We measured the difference and mine are a couple of thousandths shorter. Probably just enough wear for a light engagement if I peddle lightly and just enough wear that if I peddle a little harder the clutches slip against the hub.

I'll get checking ebay for the high and low clutches and keep my fingers crossed that some come up soon. Probably call Memory Lane Classics and see if they have the parts.

Any other leads on these parts would be greatly appreciated.

I can finally answer my own question and pass on some info on this slipping issue. Have to say B607/Gary had this nailed in his fourth item in his above list of possible fails. Before reading B607/Gary's list above, I first replaced the indexing spring with a NOS, and the slipping was not fixed. I didn't suspect that a new spring was going to fix this, but a few others said to try that, so I did. Oh well, live and learn.

Then I found a newer (not NOS, but still looking for one) set of clutches. I had a good feeling about the newer clutches just from feeling the clutch teeth because the edges of the clutch teeth were very sharp to the touch and not worn out, very much unlike my old worn out clutches with smoother feeling teeth. Put those newer clutches in, and no slipping.

With this my 1962 Typhoon is getting closer to being rideable.

Glad you fixed it. Complicated hub but worth the effort. Kickbacks are one of my favorite bike inventions ever. Now you have a spare indexing spring too. Good thing to have. Gary

Back