Jetflow for Johnny - Finishing up!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I pulled apart my Troxel seat, refurbished with snake skin “leather.” 🤣

After recieving it, I could tell of was Pleather. So, if you see this pattern on a vintage seat, which there seem to be a lot of on the ‘bay, know they’re not really covered in leather.

In fact, they didn’t even remove the original cover! So, it’s not really refurbished either.

I think they could have got more with the original. I don’t understand some sellers, but, I’ll give this seat proper TLC.

IMG_8835.jpeg

I’ve been looking for a fender ornament all summer. Nothing I liked has come up, at least not at a resonable price. Even considered some toys.

Then today, or yesterday, Skunk Works released some kind of recruiting thing with the NGAD (Next Gen Air Defense) silouette.

View attachment 239386
View attachment 239387

I thought “I’m renewing this Jetflow, why not use the Next Gen Jet Fighter?”

So, I got busy.

View attachment 239388
View attachment 239389
View attachment 239390
View attachment 239391
View attachment 239392
View attachment 239393
View attachment 239394
View attachment 239395

Still have to work the mounting, but that should be easy by comparison.
Nice work! 👏👏👏

1689031326270.jpeg

IMG_8844.jpeg

IMG_8845.jpeg

I decided to keep the larger chainring, and found a more appropriate sized washer. Also flipped the rear cog to give a good chain line.

Emelda Barcos I ain’t, so these are what we’re using.
IMG_8846.jpeg

I cleaned the seat with simple green and scotchbrite, and the glue came off easily. It’s in pretty good shape so I’m considering using it as is.

Also, went to Tandy Leather to get a piece to recover it, but today was “sorry for the inconvenience, Cash Only.” Since I wasn’t carrying more than a few bucks in cash, I just walked away. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Only one of the many challenges of today, but pushing through.

Added the mounts to the NGAD Ornament this morning. 5mm Flat head screws.

IMG_8849.jpeg

IMG_8850.jpeg

IMG_8851.jpeg

Simple tack welds, no filler needed.

IMG_8852.jpeg

IMG_8853.jpeg

Sits nicely and the screw heads lift it up for some air. Looks descent raw, but I’m giving it the chrome paint treatment anyway.

The checklist is getting shorter!

Rollin’ …
IMG_8858.jpeg

IMG_8859.png

Decided to exercise the cruisers (and myself) this morning before the un-bearable heat. 2 miles each for the Warhawk and the Zombie. Kept it shorter on the Jetflow.

The Warhawk reminded me how heavy it was, what with that 1950 frame and SA 5 speed, but It is comfortable and rides so smooth.

The Zombie told me how light and long rolling it was, despite never getting it fully dialed in for fit. I did mod the seatpost to be a forward ‘7’, but it’s a cheap seat and too low. That’s on me.

The Jetflow yelled “Wheeeeee!😄” and “you’ve got some work to do buddy.” It felt really small, but the seat and handlebars are obviously way too low. It rode well, straight and true. A single speed coaster brake felt weird to me (been awhile) but all worked, so, I did OK rebuilding the hub. The spokes creaked a bit so I’ll need to re-check them, as this was the first loaded ride since building up the wheels.

As the prophets are fond of saying, “The end is nigh!” 🙃

@OddJob was right! 🤣

He kindly offered me a few choices of bars and so here we are.

IMG_8874.jpeg

Adds a good agressive look. Plus a little zoom to the Jetflow.
IMG_8879.jpeg

It’s an adaptor for a 1” quill to a bolt-on stem.

I also have the Jet chrome painted, cleared, and mounted.
IMG_8875.jpeg

Also cleared the tank. It muted the chrome a little, but it wouldn’t have survived without it.
IMG_8878.jpeg

IMG_8877.jpeg

Not far now!

The bars look great on there, John! They fit the angles of the paint on your tank, and the lines of your 'hood' ornament well. And black ties in well too.

Lookin' good! Take 'er to the Finished line!

This one looks like your bike is casting the 'Bat signal'.....shadows....

jet johnny the bat man.jpeg

Us tall guys hear this all the time from those that actually fit old cruiser bikes....but maybe lower the adapter quill stem so the threadless stem bottoms out on the head tube, and lower your saddle; just for 'show' (photos). Then put it back into 'go' (ride) mode and have fun with it! :113:

This one looks like your bike is casting the 'Bat signal'.....shadows....

View attachment 242674

Us tall guys hear this all the time from those that actually fit old cruiser bikes....but maybe lower the adapter quill stem so the threadless stem bottoms out on the head tube, and lower your saddle; just for 'show' (photos). Then put it back into 'go' (ride) mode and have fun with it! :113:
OJ was thinking the same as I was

Slam the seat and slam the bars for some show photos

Back