Kickstand Magazine Update

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So where are the lbs that gives them out for free? I paid 5$ at a swap meet.

"we are partnering with REI to provide their customers with Complimentary magazines starting with issue 10!"

Am I the only one who noticed him saying this? So what about the people who paid for it? Does this mean everyone will get a refund. I am just thankful I didn't buy a subscription. So with this partnership he also doesn't give a production date. Makes me wonder if he will ever really produce another one.

So with all of the content and interest around bicycles and their customization it seems someone could come up with a really good mag and meet deadlines IMHO. Might even start with build off #7! Just wish I had the time to do it.

I assumed that if Brad partnered with REI to distribute issue 10 for free, he would actually release issue 10.
Coincidentally, it has been 10 months since issue #9 was released. I wonder if he's going to change to 1 issue a year.
I really don't understand how he can sleep at night knowing how many people he's disappointed and how many feel they've been ripped off.

I hate to see bike-related stuff go under, but it was obvious to me after the first year (I started with issue #1) that things were going downhill, content-wise. I let my sub expire, and am thoroughly enjoying Bicycle Times instead.

I hate seeing people get disappointed. Hope something good comes out of this.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk

+1 regarding Bicycle Times. There's an excellent example of bringing together content, advertising and consistant editing/layout into a format that's excessible and friendly. They do focus more on living with a bike as a primary transportation, but they clearly enjoy all types of bikes and are open to all variations of enthusiasts. I also read Bicycling, which is also good, but they are almost exclusively aimed at the fitness and racing aspect of things.

Kickstand is an admirable concept (note - that's concept, not content), marred by poor follow through. I really feel that even if the staff is making an honest effort, if they simply don't have the time/resources/people/etc to actually do a consistant and good job, it is better to pull the plug then to struggle on mired down. They aren't doing themselves or their customers any favors by putting an issue every year or so and making all sorts of excuses along the way.

Brad the owner is the only employee at Kickstand anymore.

It was issue #9. Sorry:shock:
aeff0d18-97e2-f19b.jpg

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I saw on Kickstand's website where they mention having issue #10 in a couple REI stores for free, and in all of them by the end of 2013. They (Brad K. Evans) make no mention of actually getting the magazine to it's subscribers though, or any mention of a refund to anyone.

I'm still waiting for the last issue of my first subscription, plus I had just paid up for another subscription, in which they just sent me issue #9 again shortly after :roll:

I don't have any hard feelings but my good faith has dried up with Kickstand actually delivering anything to subscribers, and I definitely won't be renewing for another year of nothing.

Back