Kingfish254's Finds - Over Ten Years of Kingfish Scores!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Kingfish254's Finds 9/13 Electra + Nirve Cruisers

kingfish254 said:
the_undecider said:
kingfish254 said:
The best part was a guy riding up as I was loading the bikes telling me he came over to buy the bikes. SORRY!

I've been that guy before. It's a crummy feeling, especially when the seller says they'll hold it for you. Can't really fault the other buyer..."dont hate the player, hate the game" as they say.

I contacted her first, and she let both of us know that the other was coming. Not my fault he was slow.

And I've been the fast one that beat the other guy plenty of times. I even have my dad go pick stuff up that I know will be snatched up quick. I just hate it when someone promises to hold something, sets an appointment, and doesn't honor that.

I have found it rare that someone is willing to "HOLD" an item unless you are travelling to another city. There have been too many times that I have HELD an item, only to be stood up or have a NO SALE.

kingfish254 said:
I have found it rare that someone is willing to "HOLD" an item unless you are travelling to another city. There have been too many times that I have HELD an item, only to be stood up or have a NO SALE.

I'm talking about holding it for an appointment that we mutually agree to. If I have set up a specific time to meet someone to purchase an item, I expect them not to sell it to someone else. That is how I sell things, too. If I know someone is on the way at a certain time, I don't think its ok to invite another buyer, especially without telling them. In your case, both parties were made aware of the first come, first serve nature of the sale and that is ok. I wonder if craigslist etiquette varies by region?

I normally post my number and let buyers call me and if they say they are on their way I ask what time they will be here and I'll add one hour to that as a grace period and let them know if they can't find it or are going to be late to call me. After that hour if I don't get a call to explain why they are late it's on to the next caller. In the mean time I am writing down phone numbers to get back with people should the sale fall through. (I also use that paper to stop buyer one from haggling the price down :mrgreen: )

I just put stuff up on Craigslist, price it REAL low and then watch it sit on there until the ad expires and nobody calls to even make an offer. I find that works best for me.

Nice finds, I would have still been on the phone with the seller as I was hopping in my car to get bikes like that

yoothgeye said:
I just put stuff up on Craigslist, price it REAL low and then watch it sit on there until the ad expires and nobody calls to even make an offer. I find that works best for me.
+1

yoothgeye said:

I used to do that too but then I started getting picky about what bikes I sold. I always try to stay in antique bikes, BMX, a few road bikes if they are nice, low riders, and unusual (Recumbents, cargo bikes, tandems, trikes, exc.)

My 3 general rules:
1. NEVER buy a "Walmart bike" unless it's cheap and needs nothing more than a tube or the true on a wheel touched up. In other words cables all move and work, paint looks new, and you can score it for:
26" Men's $20 or less
26" Women's $10 or less
24" Men's $15 or less
24" Women's $10 or less
20" Boy's $10 or less
20" Girl's Free or less
16" Boy's or boys Free or less

Add $10 if it's a Schwinn, Add $15 if a Stingray or unusual frame / chopper bike, Add $10 for accessories (rack, upgraded seat, exc.)

2. Try to keep sales prices in the UNDER $50 range

3. Always consider trades I have done better trading in lots of bikes than I ever would have selling it.

Hey guys. all good discussion, but maybe we can move this to the Bike Talk forum. My Fresh Finds thread is big enough as it it. :p :mrgreen:

Re: Kingfish254's Finds 9/16 FREE 69 Dawes+BrooksSaddle+Chubbies

Another score from my "TRADE FOR OLD BIKES" CL Barter ad.
Someone replied and told me they had this Dawes Three Speed and all I had to do was pick it up. I loved it when I saw the Brooks on it.
It also has some Schwinn Chubby Grips. 1969 Sturmey Archer AW hub.
I'll keep the Brooks and the grips and put some tires on her before I sell it.

IMG_2869_zps01685dc9.jpg

IMG_2870_zps4c0d7fd2.jpg

IMG_2871_zps5d9fef99.jpg

IMG_2873_zps0cc21fee.jpg

IMG_2878_zps27a23d7b.jpg

IMG_2874_zpsa9164e05.jpg

I will give you $2 for that seat! That's PURE profit :mrgreen:

Haha, that's just slightly worse than the same model Brooks that I paid $43 for.

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
I will give you $2 for that seat! That's PURE profit :mrgreen:

But that ain't kingfish profit! :mrgreen:

yoothgeye said:
Haha, that's just slightly worse than the same model Brooks that I paid $43 for.

The leather on this one is nice and pliable too. It should be a comfy saddle.

Re: Kingfish254's Finds 9/17 3 Speed OCC + Electric OCC

Bought a OCC 3 Speed Sturmey Archer wheel to use the hub on my Nanner Puddin Screamer build

SOLD Rim after I removed the hub

KGrHqZHJCYFIb3y20FBSN4Ff5qZw60_57_zpse507db85.jpg

Then when I got home I saw someone posted an Electric OCC on CL, so I bought it for parts.
Check out the video :arrow:
PARTED OUT
KEPT the exhaust pipes

IMG_2890_zpse9c16c25.jpg

Last edited:

I saw one of those at a sports resale store a couple years ago for about $80, very clean.

Watching that video, those bikes don't even looks comfortable for kids!!! haha

yoothgeye said:
I saw one of those at a sports resale store a couple years ago for about $80, very clean.

Watching that video, those bikes don't even looks comfortable for kids!!! haha
but the rebirth of cool has arrived!!!!!! :roll: (cool find)

About the only thing that I'll probably save from it are the pedals and pipes. The rest, I am gonna part out on ebay. When I remove the battery "engine" it looks like the frame has a great place to mount an engine. Even though all of the chrome is shot, the frame paint and decals are in pretty good shape.

Re: Kingfish254's Finds 9/28 49cc Pagsta Chopper + 3spd Electra

Picked up this ladies Electra for a nice 3 Speed Electra wheelset. Rest of the bike is rough, but the price was sweet.
SOLD
00N0N_4t7tDbTSgQO_600x450_zps0727856c.jpg

Then went down the road and was surprised to see this Johnny Pag 49cc Pagsta mini chopper was still available (and at a VERY good price).
SOLD
WP_002593_zps0d3f052a.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Kingfish254's Finds 9/28 49cc Pagsta Chopper + 3spd Electra

I like the mini chopper, but hate the paintjob! haha I'm not anti-American, I just can't deal with it, but for the right price I would've scooped it up. The proportions for it's size are perfect!

Back