>>>LACKLUSTER<<< Done.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: >>>LACKLUSTER<<<

Critter1 said:
chimichanga said:
it's looking cool but I thought there was no frame altering?
widening stays for tire clearance is OK.

Might want to check with Steve on this one. Last year it was my understanding that you could physically spread the stays, but I'm not sure cutting & widening them via welding a piece in is ok (according to previous rules). It really makes no difference to me, but I think this issue should be clarified so all members are aware of the option of doing that. Just my .02 worth.

>>>LACKLUSTER

This is what I was going by when we discussed this issue in the "Build Off Discussion Thread"... Hope I didn't go and mess it all up for myself... :(

yoothgeye said:
Exactly, imagine the profile of your frame, trace it onto cardboard, if in the end it still fits the profile, you're good (as long as you didn't do something too crazy, like cut out the rear triangle and make a matching one that fits a truck tire). A little widening for fat tires has been done and is being done.

This just seems a little bit illegal....

If your profile remains the same, I think you are okay. You may be stretching the rules a bit though. It may be best to throw this out on the discussion board for review.

>>>LACKLUSTER<<<

kingfish254 said:
If your profile remains the same, I think you are okay. You may be stretching the rules a bit though. It may be best to throw this out on the discussion board for review.
Already did. A few posts back^^ I quoted what "Yoothgeye" had said in the discussion thread. :)
I really don't want any negative controversy here. I'm just wanting to build it the right way. I didn't want to bend the stays to make them wider...

Critter1 said:
My inspiration is coming from the 24" Firestone I built for my son. I just love it, and I can never get enough of it. I always told my boy that one day I'd build its bigger brother so we can cruise the sidewalks together. If all goes well.. LACKLUSTER may just look like this:
4e8396e0.jpg
Flat frickin wicked,one of the coolest bikes I have ever seen,I mean it man--wicked

Xcruiser said:
Critter1 said:
My inspiration is coming from the 24" Firestone I built for my son. I just love it, and I can never get enough of it. I always told my boy that one day I'd build its bigger brother so we can cruise the sidewalks together. If all goes well.. LACKLUSTER may just look like this:
4e8396e0.jpg
Flat frickin wicked,one of the coolest bikes I have ever seen,I mean it man--wicked
HOLY SMOKES!! Are you serious? Wow, thank you. Thats a huge compliment! Like I said before, I'm even in love with the Firestone.. and i built it! Its the only bike that get parked inside the house because I can never get enough of it.. Hence the reason its my inspiration for BO-7. Thanks again!! :D

I'll just show the final product. My Jerald 2.125s fit this frame now...

Looks as factory as can be, just a little wider now (3/4"). No big deal.... Time to move on to slicing & dicing a fender. :)
40b13659.jpg

92f55184.jpg

1b69f27a.jpg

Critter1 said:
... Looks as factory as can be, just a little wider now. No big deal....

No kidding man, If you didn't show us I don't think anyone would have known the difference :shock: Nice clean job !!!

CCR said:
Critter1 said:
... Looks as factory as can be, just a little wider now. No big deal....

No kidding man, If you didn't show us I don't think anyone would have known the difference :shock: Nice clean job !!!
Thank you!! It felt good to actually braze back together what I had taken apart. I try to document everything. :)

Beautiful work! Looking great.

What size are the Jeralds anyway? We put a pair of blackwall 26x2.125? on the auction bike this year. They ride really nice also.

>>>LACKLUSTER<<<

pick said:
What size are the Jeralds anyway? We put a pair of blackwall 26x2.125? on the auction bike this year. They ride really nice also.
Yep the ones I bought are the same size. Good to know they ride well! I love em & they look pretty cool too! Im a little unsure about putting one on the front... My other thought was to go with something smaller & round - like 1.75 or 1.95.

>>>LACKLUSTER<<<

Peatbog said:
A guy with a grinder in his hand and lots of sparks. That's the way it should be!

Oh, I wouldn't worry about the frame widening. I think the rules also say that only yellow bikes with checkerboard seat tubes can win anyway.:mrgreen:
haha! I have checkered tape and yellow paint!! ;)

Well ,since you brazed instead of welded I won't tell :mrgreen:
Again,nice work,looking forward to more..

Latest posts

Back