>>>LACKLUSTER<<< Done.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: >>>LACKLUSTER<<<

The little doodad reflector I picked up in Arkansas really wanted to make its way onto the bike. I had a leather belt I picked up at a yard sale... and this is what I came up with. It may stay, it may not... IDK.
13accb44.jpg

1f349169.jpg

438a4400.jpg

Re: >>>LACKLUSTER<<< Doodadadded.

CRASH said:
Doodad's are great!

Hey, what is that chain guard? That shape would look good for an idea I have.
Crash its the guard that originally came with this Newsboy Special frame. Its Columbia. You have a whole year to lets these ideas fester!! Good luck with that.. :D

I'm not able to get up to the shop to do some welding for a couple days yet... So all I can do right now is mess with silly doodads and make templates for my rocker extensions. :)
8355f795.jpg

I like dem dare wheel doodads better than french fried taters , uh huh!

Re: >>>LACKLUSTER<<< Custom BO-07 extended rockers.

My son is here for the summer, up from San Diego, and he wanted to ride his Firestone next to LACKLUSTER. I told him I couldn't ride it until its fixed. He said "well fix it", so off to Sonoma we went (to the shop). On a side note, he also said he wants to be a member here. So tomorrow I will set him up as Critter Jr. :D Atta-boy!!!

I was in rocker-mod mode!!

Started off by using some red dye and scribed the outline of the template on some 1/8" steel.
IMG_4823-1.jpg

Once I got both templates cut out, I beveled the edges on both sides for good weld penetration.
IMG_4826-1.jpg

Ready to weld.
IMG_4827-1.jpg

At first i just spot welded so I could check them next to each other. They were off a little (as you can see in the pic) so I ground the edges side by side to match them perfectly. I also used this opportunity to locate the center of the new axle mount location and drilled a 1/8" hole through both.
IMG_4828-1.jpg

All welded up! Time to grind... After both sides were ground smooth, I stacked them side by side again and finished drilling the axle holes and made the slots.
IMG_4832.jpg

Yep! I had to logo them with our BO-07 :mrgreen: (The 7 is an upside down L but whatevs.. :p )
Tomorrow I'll fit them to LACKLUSTER & see how it goes.. I should now have about an inch clearance between the Jerald slick and fender. Whoo hoo!
IMG_4833-1.jpg

Re: >>>LACKLUSTER

Peatbog said:
Those rockers came out sweet.

char said:
Very cool man! Really good work! :D

fordsnake said:
A brilliant idea and nicely done.

Thanks so much guys.. It was the only decent solution I could come up with.

I got the rockers mounted today & took it for a ride. I jammed it into every curb, pothole & bump I could find and no rubbing whatsoever! Now, me being me... Visually it looks kinda like an old gasser with the raked front end. The fender is now a little too high visually. I'll find a happy medium and I'll grind away about an 1/8" to 3/16" at the axle mount point to bring it back down a little. There should still be plenty of clearance for the springer to work. Here are some pics for now.

5d3249ab.jpg

79b76267.jpg

e83e7dc6.jpg

Great job on those rockers.
Gotta protect that paint!!!!

Critter Jr. and I took the bikes out to the bike trail today. It really feels good to come through on my promise to him... I told him I'd build a big brother to his Firestone so we can both ride similar cool bikes together, and I think I accomplished that. :)

ce754fcd.jpg

07f66ef0.jpg

Nice work...looks factory! :wink:

Latest posts

Back