Ladybug

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
another way to go cool muscle bike look
s-l300 (1).jpg

I’m a BIG fan of pork chop. I have a set of their long reach 1080 caliper brakes for this build.

And wow! It looks like you already have a ladybug. I have painters regret looking at that.

I’ve been checking out banana seats online. Are the ones sold on e Bay any good? I’m also keeping an eye on CL. It seems I should at the minimum have a banana seat in my pile of parts.

I’m planning to somehow modify the shifters from a varsity. Haven’t quite figured it out yet, but they seem like a good mechanical platform to be modified.

Also a quick clock update. I pulled out the mainspring and confirmed that it is broken. After about an hour of googling and measuring and YouTubing I found a mainspring that I think is the right part. It was only about $3 plus shipping. So, as part of the ladybug build, I am going to attempt my first clock repair.

Depends on what type of paint you used. That looks like some form of rattle can that was sprayed cold? If that's the case, you run the possibility of bubbling the paint if you sand and clearcoat. Rattle cans are very tricky and never consistent. They spray an inconsistent pattern/amount. And they are fickle in the weather. They like it warm.

That being said, IMO you have two options: 1) Leave it alone and accept it. 2) Let it dry FULLY. Wet sand it to about 1000 grit... very gently... wipe it down with a lint-free rag. If you haven't sanded through any of the paint, then apply a clearcoat from the same company who made the paint you sprayed.
when ever cleaning up spray bomb rattle can. I use 5000 grit wet & dry sander sheets.
DSC02793.JPG
oh and if you are say using rattle cans like Rustlom soak / float the can first in a bucket of hot water. for 10 to 15 minuets. it gets it to flow out spray can smoother.
DSC02792.JPG

I believe that may have been the problem. It was about 65 degrees out. I warmed up the shed with a space heater, but didn’t warm up the rattle cans. Rustoleum. I also noticed a lot of paint droplets made it to the floor, which I would have expected to exhaust out the windows. I had two box fans set up for exhaust. I will probably just let it be. Next time I will warm the cans.

It’s official. I would like to ask permission to move to the muscle bike category.

I picked up a banana seat and sissy bar.

39604FE2-336E-42A1-9064-2B318B988AAA.jpeg

I also got a clear coat on the frame and painted the tank. I heated the rattle cans in a bucket of warm water and that seemed to make world of difference!!! Great tip!

84BB8098-F015-468F-BAC5-6500A74A757B.jpeg

I have ordered all the parts to build my wheels. Anxiously awaiting their arrival.

I also found some ape hangers on eBay with 21in rise. Does that sound about right? The seller is currently on vacation so I cannot complete the sale yet.

There will be a few details to figure out when I build this, but I think I’m in good shape.

I also ordered some plexiglass discs and led bulbs to bring the headlights back to working order.

I’ve been proactively cleaning parts for future builds. Looking forward to the next build off!

Built the wheels today. The spokes were a little too long and I had to grind them down with a dremel. There must be a better tool. Anyone used a spoke Nipper?

CFADB3B6-1525-4988-9B02-4AC1E5DD060C.jpeg

The 21in ape hangers arrived and they might be too big!

I will likely start assembling this soon. Was going to wait until the end, but there are likely some details to sort out and don’t want any last minute surprises.

Last edited:
Built the wheels today. I the spokes were a little too long and I had to grind them down with a dremel. There must be a better tool. Anyone used a spoke Nipper?

View attachment 217665

The 21in ape hangers arrived and they might be too big!

I will likely start assembling this soon. Was going to wait until the end, but there are likely some details to sort out and don’t want any last minute surprises.
I use a metal file alot easier to get get in and control

I am obsessed. Tinkering with bikes is all I can think about. Unfortunately I have to take a break as I have a holiday party to attend.

I could have sworn I set aside a BMX stem for this build, but it is nowhere to be found. No worries, I will find something.

My plan is to get this rolling and mechanically sound before I worry about the ladybug flare.

Thoughts on the 24in front wheel? Maybe 20in would have more muscle bike look?

CF640AE2-505D-4D1A-89DE-E1743B214213.jpeg
CE9C6952-4DFF-498E-BFA8-8003023649F4.jpeg
574CDFDC-1FB9-4CF5-8C64-64CB54B85688.jpeg
5D5BB43E-CAB5-44B4-9C14-A84911F187D7.jpeg
3E9F3354-B19F-43FA-B6B9-604E29FB4796.jpeg

I am obsessed. Tinkering with bikes is all I can think about. Unfortunately I have to take a break as I have a holiday party to attend.

I could have sworn I set aside a BMX stem for this build, but it is nowhere to be found. No worries, I will find something.

My plan is to get this rolling and mechanically sound before I worry about the ladybug flare.

Thoughts on the 24in front wheel? Maybe 20in would have more muscle bike look?

View attachment 218244View attachment 218248View attachment 218247View attachment 218245View attachment 218246
with that fork stay 24" with Schwinn style springer 20" would give it that sting ray crate look.

Latest posts

Back