STBO Lamia almost finished!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have two coats of rose gold down. I’m really happy with the color I found. Krylon Rose Gold. It matches well enough to the rose colored rims I’m using from the donor Electra bike. Had planned to get it a closer match but I’m ready to get things together and don’t want risk mixing the paints and having a poor reaction. I am putting another coat down and then I’ll have the reveal. I hope it turns out ok. I shot a quick test piece that wasn’t laid tight. I’m happy with what came out.
IMG_6834.jpeg
IMG_6833.jpeg
IMG_6835.jpeg

Here it is! My first full, finished lace paint job. This was the challenge to myself in this build off, which is something I have done on all my build off builds. Do something I have never done before. I had an idea of how to attempt a lace paint job, spending a bit of time watching how to’s. I am extremely happy with the results. It has a neat reptilian design coming from the mesh, which Lamia in legend considered a reptile at some point. I have the test piece that I started with, which will get clear coated to make sure no odd reactions occur. Thankfully the lace came out quite symmetrical, which was a tough task. It all removed easily as well. Glad I taped off the backsides of the tank halves and fender. Excited to get it all assembled.
IMG_6836.jpeg
IMG_6838.jpeg
IMG_6841.jpeg
IMG_6842.jpeg
IMG_6843.jpeg
IMG_6844.jpeg

After clear coating my test piece and much consideration, I have decided not to clear coat at all and leave the nice texture and satin finish. If it scratches, oh well. It was an easy paint job. So I get to start the assembly sooner! It’s getting cool and today and is a borderline painting day. So all signs say to move on. Now it’s time to tend to the little bits like nuts and bolts, and get them all cleaned up for assembly. The frame has cured long enough to put it in my frame stand, to get the build back on wheels.
IMG_6848.jpeg

Does the frame have two holes that line up? Then go for it. Those tags were put into use beginning in 1946, and with that low a serial number would be 1946 as the year. For registration you would have to say it's a 46, otherwise would need a new number stamped somewhere to be legal. Maybe it is a 46. No way to tell.
It doesn't match up to the numbers on my Monark list, they are much higher. Unless there is another digit after the 7 at the end. It would then be a 46 going by my saved Monark list.
So I got the plate in this weekend and it lines up perfectly with the holes on the bb. I didn’t realize how small this plate was. I have a close idea of what the model number is and more confident with the serial number.
Model number 189 8 9A32 (middle 8 may be 3)
Serial number A0248077 hope you can pinpoint some more information on this bike @Wildcat ✌🏻

Last minute change. I purchased a crank a few months ago because I liked the design, a spiderweb/snowflake look to it. Didn’t think about using it originally, when I needed to change from my original choice that provided chain alignment issues. It caught my eye today on the build I had it mocked up on and decided it would be better suited for Lamia. Off goes the mag.
IMG_6849.jpeg

SHP, your lace paint job came out great! Really like the reptilian look as you say. And you couldn't have gotten any closer to a match to the rims; spot on!
Thank you @OddJob i am very pleased how it came out. And it was relatively simple. I happened to hit up a hobby store and found the Krylon Metallic Rose Gold spray paint. The match is awesome. This bike sat in the elements before I received it so the wheels have a little bit of fade in the paint. The lace moved a slight bit when I painted, which added to the reptile look of the paint. I learned that you need to spray as close to perpendicular to your surface as possible. It will blow the lace “down” and would result in more defined black lines. I was real lucky this time, not having any runs or mistakes to repaint. One of the reasons I backed away from clear coating everything. Didn’t want to ruin the paint job at the last minute. ✌🏻
You nailed it on this one, it looks fantastic! I love the lace paint, the stance is killer. Very nicely turned out!
Thank you @Pondo i had a fun and easy time building this one. My wife really likes this one, so it will probably stay in our collection. I thought about building it to sell but I have a hard time selling something I have created. The lace paint job was fun. It was nice to have a tank for a canvas to be creative with. Painting has to be the toughest part of the builds in my opinion. Deciding what you want, having the right climate to paint, finding the paints that will provide success, prepping for paint and getting through the painting process is a huge challenge. I usually learn a ton each time I paint anything. ✌🏻

Latest posts

Back