Late 30's Wards Hawthorne Silver King

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This project began when another forum member from MTBR.com saw this frame in a local craigslist ad. I had hooked him up a long time ago with some parts and he knew I was into older bikes because I had posted my Mercury and my Schwinn Excelsior and my Elgin. He offered to buy it and ship it to me and the price was right. Here it is as it came to me.
IMG_4634.jpg

IMG_4629.jpg

IMG_4632.jpg

The frame had been painted at some point and the steerer tube had part of a stem permanently stuck in it. When I started to try to fix it the whole steerer separated from the fork! Luckily I had an old damaged pre-war fork with a good long steerer. I just hacked it off and milled it and it worked perfect. After several days of wet sanding and polishing:
IMG_4691.jpg

IMG_4687.jpg

IMG_4679.jpg

IMG_4685.jpg

I toyed with the idea of putting a modern fork on it after the old fork gave me trouble. I polishied this Bomber, turned out good but it was not right for this bike.
IMG_4656.jpg

IMG_4655.jpg

After I fixed the fork I began getting her together:
IMG_4703.jpg

IMG_4702.jpg

IMG_4700.jpg

IMG_4694.jpg

IMG_4704.jpg

IMG_4694.jpg

All I need now are a longer chain and the correct seatpost and some cool handlebars and I will be rolling.

those frames are pure works of art! :mrgreen: your a lucky man to have such a pristine example to work with. and the knobbies look killer on there too! :D

Made some progress today. All I need is a chain and a post and I willl be rolling. I still have some choices to make, I am not sure I like the stem but I like the handlebar which is a pre-war original from an Elgin. I got almost everything mounted and sat on it for the first time.
IMG_4732.jpg

IMG_4741.jpg

IMG_4735.jpg

IMG_4734.jpg

IMG_4748.jpg

IMG_4736.jpg

:shock: SOOO BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: 8) :shock: :mrgreen: 8) :shock:

.... - i didnt see this thread - i saw it on the other fourm - you should charge some money for doing this... id be your first customer. :mrgreen:

The expanding seatpost was either too expensive or too hard to find so I made one out of an old 1 inch quill stem. It has about the same insertion as one of the original posts.
IMG_5105.jpg

IMG_5102.jpg

I did not care for the big black clamp on the brake lever so I stripped and polished it. Everything must shine on this bike.
IMG_5104.jpg

And I changed the handlebar:
IMG_5103.jpg

IMG_5101.jpg

IMG_5100.jpg

Next will be some red brick tires and some amber shellack for sealing the cork grips.

Back