SWB0 Lazyboy

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For some practice, I tried out the gold paint pen on the Wright Special. The lugs are bare metal with a couple coats of clear lacquer.

06 Feb 2024 Wright Special.jpg

06 Feb 2024 Wright Special2.jpg
06 Feb 2024 Wright Special4.jpg

06 Feb 2024 Wright Special3.jpg

I read some reviews where the paint rubbed off easily. I'll check it tomorrow, giving it 24 hours to dry.
I've got another faux antique bike, the 1901 Mixte, I'll try with it the silver pen next.

The paint pen ink did rub off easily. I'll paint my build bike first then clear coat it. That should seal the paint I think.

I also painted the 1901 Mixte. It's the opposite of the other bike, this is bare metal with painted lugs. I added gold because it matches up with the gold brazing on the frame.
07 Feb 2024 Mixte1.jpg

07 Feb 2024 Mixte2.jpg

I have another bike with a lugged frame, Bulldog, also from the junk shop. It doesn't make much difference with that paint job but it gives me more practice.
21 Dec 23a.jpg

07 Feb 2024 Bulldog1.jpg

Great looking lugs, but they are a match except for the letters. Mine look like they used lugs for two different frames.

07 Feb 2024 Bulldog2.JPG

I'm setting up the seat mount. I'm using U bolts (with shims on the frame) to hold the seat baseplate to the frame. I'm hoping 4 of them will get it snug enough so that's all that's needed. Then it can be adjusted forward or backward easily. If not, I'll run a couple of braces down from the front seat bolts to the center bar on the frame to give support. It won't adjust that easily then.

08 Feb 2024 plate.jpg

08Feb 2024 clamps.jpg

I cut out a couple of templates to get some aluminum or steel cut out. One for the seat baseplate and another to replace the wooden footboard on Frankenscoot. 5mm is the thickness for aluminum or 3mm for steel. Then I remembered I have the means to cut steel now with my angle grinder, so I just need a plate 1' by 2'. That will give me extra for braces if I need it.

08 Feb 2024 board.jpg

I looked again at the frame where the tire crosses. The 26" wheel always looked a little small, but 700c is too large, so I couldn't figure it out.

08 Feb 2024 platea.jpg

Then it just hit me, it was made for a 26 x 1 3/8ths wheel! I should have known that. I've been working with 26 x 1.50. The 26 x 1 3/8ths wheel is about an inch and a quarter larger in diameter, 590mm vs 559mm, a little over a half inch in radius. And of course that's what this frame would have been made for.
So I will get a new rim and tire and redo the rear wheel. The difference in diameter won't need new spokes, I can lace 3 cross instead of 4 cross and still have a strong wheel.
This will also raise the rear a half inch which will help with the fork rake. I've compared this frame to the easy racers it is a copy of, and it has more angle to the head tube, making the steering floppy.
easyracer.jpg

I ran the numbers, I need new longer spokes even for 3 cross, 270mm.

More gold stuff showed up. I'll use some of this, not all.
09 Feb 2024 gold.jpg

I used a donor frame to make up the shims. The ones from before were too short.
09 Feb 2024 donor1.jpg

Made some roast peanuts in the air fryer at the same time. Garlic tabasco and liquid smoke.
09 Feb 2024 peanuts.jpg

The shims are done for now, now I'm waiting to see what the wife gets for the metal plate she went out for. I left a detailed drawing with everything in inches and millimeters.

09 Feb 2024 shims.jpg

I still like the bamboo effect of the original finish.

The town has no pieces of metal, except 4' x 8' and bigger. But they had a scrap piece they sold the wife for a few bucks. They said the rust would "clean right off". It's only 1.5mm, but I can double it to get to where I wanted it, at 3mm for the seat pan and the foot board on the scooter. There's plenty left over.

11 Feb 2024 steel.jpg

My new 26 x 1 3/8ths rim and tire showed up, the spokes are coming in later today. this shows the size difference between the standard decimal 26 x 1.50 and the 26 x 1 3/8ths. the decimal size fits inside the 1 3/8ths rim.
11 Feb 2024 rims.jpg
Tires also, it's taller and skinnier than the 26 x 1.50 I had on there.
11 Feb 2024 tires.jpg

I unlaced the rear wheel so I can keep the gold hub. While I had the hub free I checked the dropout alignment and found it needed a little adjustment on the non drive side. Before and after:
11 Feb 2024 dropout.jpg
11 Feb 2024 Alignment done.jpg

I wanted to match the front rim so I painted the new rim black down the middle. It needs a little touchup, but when I lace it up it will get some scratches, so I'll finish it then.

11 Feb 2024 rim paint.jpg

Last edited:
The 270mm spokes were a couple millimeters short of what I needed for 3 cross, so I ran the numbers for 2 cross and they are good. I wondered how strong 2 cross would be on the rear wheel with a hub brake. Everything I read was positive, so it's ready for a trip to the shop for truing. I noticed the bearings are binding slightly but there's no adjustment on the sealed bearings and it's nearly new. I'll let the shop guys check it out while they are truing it.
11 Feb 2024 wheel.jpg

Last edited:
They trued it up and changed out a bearing for two dollars extra, and I picked up a couple of inner tubes.
12 Feb 2024 wheel.jpg

It's all dialed in, just needs a seat. I'll do some cutting and drilling tomorrow.
12 Feb 2024 a.jpg

Doing some cutting, next to the open window with the big fan going.
I tried out a new faceshield, supposed to not fog up, and it didn't. It worked great.

It was going pretty well, I thought the seat would be on there today. I ran into two problems.

The u-bolts would almost contact the bottom of the seat, and probably would on bumps in the road. I can put 1/2 spacers and raise the seat to fix that.
The other problem was the two layers of steel. I don't think it's 3mm, maybe 2mm and not enough strength. It bent as I tightened the u-bolts, and would probably bend with weight on the seat. I need to find a piece of metal that will work. At least I know all the holes line up.
13 Feb 2024 seat.jpg

But the seat is in just the right place for my reach.

13 Feb 2024 mockup.jpg

I'm debating whether or not to add a back brace.
13 Feb 2024 mockup copy.jpg

It was going pretty well, I thought the seat would be on there today. I ran into two problems.

The u-bolts would almost contact the bottom of the seat, and probably would on bumps in the road. I can put 1/2 spacers and raise the seat to fix that.
The other problem was the two layers of steel. I don't think it's 3mm, maybe 2mm and not enough strength. It bent as I tightened the u-bolts, and would probably bend with weight on the seat. I need to find a piece of metal that will work. At least I know all the holes line up.
View attachment 258747

But the seat is in just the right place for my reach.

View attachment 258748
I'm debating whether or not to add a back brace.
View attachment 258749
Looking good!

You could use an old seatstay or chainstay for the brace.

Back