BO15 Lean Mean Green Machine

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not much time today between work and an unexpected rain storm, but had to get out of the house a bit and do something.
Made supports for the rear rack and did a horrible job of roughing out the first piece of tank. Marked off the wood and as I went for my jig saw I remembered I loaned it to a friend today! Hacked it out with my crappy old bandsaw. If I bought a new blade for it, it might not be so crappy. Still playing with how to do the exhaust system. LOL.
IMG_20200506_180634.jpg

TV in the living room quit working Friday. As with most modern technology, we figured it would cost more to fix than to replace. Youngest son who's still living at home decided he wanted to buy a new TV too. I also bought a new jig saw too while in town! :21:
I helped my son hang his TV on the wall in his room, so no bike time after work, but that's okay because Eric won't always live with us and I might not get to see him much when he moves out. Saturday my wife and I threw caution (and masks and gloves) to the wind and drove the 2.5 hours to visit our oldest son and his wife and their new baby. Finally got to see the new grandson again! Again, more fun than the build off! LOL
So this afternoon, with my wife doing what she wanted to for Mother's Day (play in the dirt in the garden) I worked on the Green Machine.
Used the new jig saw to cut out a better fitting piece to be the center piece of the tank. Then marked and drilled the holes for the headers. Yes, headers. More hot rod than manifolds! LOL
Since this is the GREEN machine, I recycled as many 1/2" copper pipe fittings as I could find.
IMG_20200510_182810.jpg

Not sure if I will JB Weld the pieces together or solder them. I think soldering would be more old school, but will require more paint removal.
IMG_20200510_182852.jpg

I'll be adding additional pieces of wood to buils up the tank, but it will be cut away around the headers. Thinking maybe two more layers of pine board on each side, or maybe some 1/2" plywood and one piece of pine per side.
IMG_20200510_182456.jpg

I'm using some 45 degree elbows to make a jog in the exhaust pipes to give more room around the rear tire. Not sure if the tail pipe tips with be left straight or recut at an angle.

Here it is down off the "rack" and sitting good ol' terra firma.
IMG_20200510_183407.jpg

Bird's eye view of the headers...
IMG_20200510_183457.jpg

Headers are cool as heck! Just had a thought, what about attaching some more copper pipe to the bottom edge of each side of the rear rack, just to carry on that long 'pipe dream' even more....in geometry class and gymnastics we called those 'parallel bars' ! :21:

Love the headers!

Great work on the headers! and the tank.

Got the tire remounted tonight. Rubbed some flat brown camo paint onto the blackened whitewalls to tone them down a little more.
Pieced together some copper pipe fittings for a proof of concept manifold and exhaust. Probably should get a couple of new tees without holes drilled through them. Can't wait to get to building the tank.
7cdc323bc7869654669624acd5dd8038.jpg
51761d1cd8d99216ec13248119e9f67f.jpg
aa1d18b4180bfca0dacef19e50c7a644.jpg

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
Love the copper pipe trick! Super cool idea!!!!!

Did some more work on the tank this evening. Taptalk won't let me download a picture. It's been wonky since I took the latest update, but tonight it won't load a picture at all.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Did some more work on the tank this evening. Taptalk won't let me download a picture. It's been wonky since I took the latest update, but tonight it won't load a picture at all.

If you have an Android phone, just use the google chrome as your access to RRB. Mine uploads photos with ease right from the phone. The view is slightly different on the screen when following the forum, but it works fine.

If you have an Android phone, just use the google chrome as your access to RRB. Mine uploads photos with ease right from the phone. The view is slightly different on the screen when following the forum, but it works fine.
Yep, it's an Android, thanks for the heads up.

Making some progress on the tank. Added more wood to flesh it out more.
IMG_20200512_185220.jpg

IMG_20200512_185150.jpg

Then I had a real brain fart. PVC pipe "hood scoops.
IMG_20200512_184754.jpg

But after looking at the results, I decided no.
Then, not wanting to waste the PVC scraps, I tried this...
IMG_20200512_185119.jpg

IMG_20200512_185100.jpg

I think I will let that marinate awhile.

So then I had another bit of cranial flatulence and grabbed a leftover piece of carpet strip and tried this...
IMG_20200512_185458.jpg

IMG_20200512_191004.jpg

With some more work, I think that might be the ticket.

I like the added wood in the tank. Maybe a soft two-tone paint between the two parts?

The tank is looking good. The extra level adds a lot of visual interest. Are you still planning the headers?
Oh yeah. Those 4 holes in the bottom are the "exhaust ports." LOL

Here's the picture that wouldn't load last night. Excuse the messy workbench! [emoji16]
Left the headers in place to fit the other wood parts. Then removed them so I could sand the tank.
897d973873aec41d372bf83957ef1770.jpg

The extra wood layers help the 3D effect, should also emphasize the headers.

Sent using Tapatalk

I like the added wood in the tank. Maybe a soft two-tone paint between the two parts?
Thinking along those lines too. Also thought of painting the header area silver like the little triangle area under a Colorflow tank.

Wow, that tank is looking good! I'm doing a wood tank on my build, but it's nowhere near as impressive as what you've come up with! Those headers are pretty sweet too! I'm just wondering if you'll have enough clearance to pedal around the headers. Think you've got enough leg room?

Wow, that tank is looking good! I'm doing a wood tank on my build, but it's nowhere near as impressive as what you've come up with! Those headers are pretty sweet too! I'm just wondering if you'll have enough clearance to pedal around the headers. Think you've got enough leg room?

Thanks. I don't think leg room will be a problem. The headers are not all that wide. The tank on my Monark is wider than they are, and it doesn't give me any leg room issues.
2a7a61c00f1f7378b3c573350733fb16.jpg

Latest posts

Back