Led-Sled Sidecar Project

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey GL!!
I looked at that exact sidecar design when I started however I had my boubts about my ability to pull off that zepplin look on the front with this being my first major fiberglass job and all. I will have to post some pic’s of the two sidecar designs that I married for this build. I really liked the look of the front of one and the rear of another so that is how I came up with this Design.

Thanks for the pic’s. Can’t wait to see that green one! :mrgreen: H.L.

--You have to help me out though with the whole "roll a cigarette" thing'ee?--

Well, you take a small rectangular piece of thin paper, spread some tabacco in it, roll it up tight, put it in your mouth and light it.
Shag.jpg

Since I am not a trucker or a cowboy, I need both hands and it takes about half a minute. That means riding in a straight enough line for half a minute with no hands.
Something like this, but without the track.
DSCN0106_1.jpg

Thanks C.S.
I was thinking that, but I wasn’t sure. Works better ridding down wind right! :lol:
Hopefully I can achieve the same results.

Thanks for the pic’s!! :D

Getting closer! Here is the frame that will hold the sidecar body minus the third wheel. Looks
and feels strong but I did have a moment of oh...oh... :shock: After tacking all of the bars
together I stepped on the front to see what would happen and it almost hit the floor! Like a knuckle head I forgot to tighten up the front clamp! Oops! :oops: All is good now and the wheel will be next.

PICT0014.jpg

PICT0019.jpg

You have know idea how much I want to ride this....

I get the first ride. I'll hold the beers. You think it'll support my 220 lb butt? :shock: I can just see us ridin this down the road with goggles on and our hats backwards. :D

You know when you have one of those small little victory’s in life? Well I just had one tonight!! :D
I finally welded on the bracket for the third wheel and took her for a spin....Wow! She rides like a dream! Just out of curiosity I set the sidecar body on the frame to see how it would ride with the
extra weight and once again I was very happy! One really great night! :D :D

PICT0011-2.jpg

PICT0018.jpg

:lol: :lol:
I hear ya brother! when you get those victories, you're hi-5ing yourself in the shop and doin' the dance!
it's looking great! cant't wait to see a video of it all in motion 8)

great work!!

Thanks guy’s!!! Yep I was doin’ the dance....and Nop’ you wont see the dance on video! :oops: :lol:
When I get her all done I’ll try to post something so you can all see her on the move! Took her out for
a ride this afternoon just to make sure I didn’t need to make any adjustments and all is still good so tonight I will start adding a few gussets.

Thanks again for all of the support! :D

Here are a couple of pic’s outside with the sidecar setting on the frame. Still need
to finish the gussets and weld on some mounting tabs.

PICT0005-2.jpg

PICT0008-2.jpg

I was looking at my son’s pedal car I rebuilt for him a few years back and something
kept staring back at me. No your not seeing things......I hung it up in the garage after he was
done using it. I think she needs a windshield! We just had our neighborhood clean up and
I scored on a big piece of lexan that someone was throwing away. I’m in the process of
bringing it back to life so that I can cut it and throw it in the oven for shaping. FREE!! 8) 8)

PICT0019-1.jpg

PICT0026-1.jpg

Thanks Guy’s for all of the kind words! :oops: Well the wind shield idea has been pushed back for a
bit, the lexan that I was going to use is a little to thick and didn’t clean up quite like I wanted. So I have moved on to finishing up the small imperfections an the sidecar and hopefully tonight start painting it. I have an idea on the paint!! :shock: Hope to have some pic’s posted soon.
Later!! HL :mrgreen:

AMAZING!!!
Can´t wait to see the paint scheme, please don´t keep us intrigued!

Instead of the lexan, you could try a thick Clear Acetate sheet, wich are quite cheap and easy to work with and shape.

Hey everyone! Been working hard on the sidecar and less on posting. Sorry!! :oops:

Gdcast thanks for the info I may skip the windshield at this point? But not sure?
Thanks weekend-fun!! Very cool picture! A two seater....sweet!!

Well here is what I have so far. I painted the outside after taping it off three or nine times added the signature Led-Sled logo and the snaps for the tonneau cover. I still have lot’s more detail work to do paint wise but it is coming together nicely and then...the interior. Hope I didn’t disappoint with the paint scheme! I kind’a like it. 8)

PICT0008-3.jpg

PICT0016.jpg

PICT0014-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back