LIBERTY done!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
picked up another parts bike...I thought. this one is a little to nice to mess with too much. I will just "barrow" the parts I need from it, then have a future build for it. lovin the homemade wheel shiners. I will use the bars and the deco stem, the wheelset ( no stripping these), definitely the nice troxel seat, and most likely the crankset. mabey the chainguard...if I can straighten it out! whoever had this bike before me was an old ratroder..lots of wire holding it together:)

not a whole lot of progress today. I did take it for a 2 mile ride. back coaster brake was slipping bad, so I will rebuild the hub. I like the feel of this bike, even with the wheels needing grease and work, feels good. that big hawthorn chainring is mighty hard to pedal though.:rolleyes: on a side note: I got randomly selected to be at the Omaha taping of the PBS show "antiques roadshow". ought to be fun, one of my favorite shows. now if I just can find something to take...

had to go with the name change. liberty will match the headbadge, and im using the liberty chainguard. and I like patriotic bikes! I know kingfish had "sweet liberty" some time ago, but this will be different.

got some more done today. I had to modify the feather guard just a bit, but it fits good. the truss rods are in good shape. I like the looks of the Schwinn forks better than the original forks, better curves. the hawthorn chainring was protected all its years by a coating of thick grease. tomorrow I will start to tackle the frame.
think ill try to find a good statue of liberty water slide decal for the chainguard. maybe the tank to. nothing to gaudy or colorfull.

i didnt feel much like wire wheeling today, so instead I spent the day rebuilding and cleaning the new departure hubs. they feel about 5 lbs lighter. so much old grease and crud came off of them. the last pic is just the crud on the ground.:D
the riverside tires are in good shape. still some cleaning to do on the model d as you can see, but its coming along nicely.

more progress made. slowly wire wheeling the paint off the frame...its getting there.. I only have a wire wheel and a hand drill, so its slow going. updated my parts pile. soaking the skiptooth chain in vinegar. may or may not use some rat trap pedals, may or may not use the rear rack. plenty of time for those decisions.
I feel like its starting to come together. thinking this will be a very industrial looking bike! think ill make me a NIN cd for the garage.

That's some good looking metal right there!!

Latest posts

Back