Little Bits, and Bobs

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just wondering what everyone cleans the small stuff on their bikes with. Bearing cages, rusty nuts, washers, that sort of stuff. I've used engine brite, and a blue detergent brillo, but the parts from my '63 are in rough shape. Any soaking tips , Or other methods?

The Dev

Nothing earth shattering from me: I use a wire wheel on my grinder for the nuts, bolts, washers, and other stuff big enough to not fly through it and across my garage and then I give them an overnight bath in PB Blaster.

I hope to hear some good tips on cleaning bearing cages because I struggle through cleaning them with a tooth brush after soaking them in paint thinner.

Can you throw bearing cages in wood bleach? I meant to take pictures of the '63, but i wanted to get the front wheel going good, that's why I'm asking. The wood bleach makes me nervous. I see my self throwing some thing in, waiting overnight, and going to get my parts, and seeing what used to be my parts in piles of crust on the bottom of my bucket.

PhillyDev said:
Can you throw bearing cages in wood bleach? I meant to take pictures of the '63, but i wanted to get the front wheel going good, that's why I'm asking. The wood bleach makes me nervous. I see my self throwing some thing in, waiting overnight, and going to get my parts, and seeing what used to be my parts in piles of crust on the bottom of my bucket.
The wood bleach is VERY gentile. I mix it about 4-6 tablespoons per 20 gallons of water and have soaked everything in it including items with paint and decals with no problems. It only reacts to the rust and nothing else, just remember less is more and dont go too heavy with the bleach and you will be fine. -Brian

Simple green soak to start, rinse, then a OA bath if they are rusty. If they are too bad I just replace them.

My dad was an avid gun collector, he passed about 10 years ago and i didnt have the heart to get in to his stuff until about 5 years ago, i discovered all sorts of solvents, oils and other chemicals that do wonders on old rusty stuff...

CLP is a wd40 type of thing, but i notice that its great for getting all types of stuff out.

hoppes ole number 9 works for the caked on rust.

karfer67 said:
gas works great just no smoking while doing it :shock:

I plead the 5th :lol:

i use cheap fuel system cleaner like walmarts version of gumout it's like 84 cents and i put it in an old pickle jar and soak everything overnight. it works great. :mrgreen:

i use mean green, $5 a gallon at the dollar store. for the bad stuff walmarts cheap brake cleaner, but they will check your id at the checkout.

For my bearings I use Simple Green, then dry them off, and then put in hot water with dish soap :wink: The hot water with soap somehow cleans the rest of the grease the Simple Green leaves :roll:

Back